Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Another Polished Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Another Polished Wheel Question

I recently got an 06 with polished wheels. They are in great shape but I would like to get more shine on them. I did a search and found that they are coated so I should not use metal polishes but paint polishes are OK.

My question is will the Mothers Power Cone damage the clear coat if used with a paint polish? My orbital buffer is too big to be much good on the wheels and the Power Cone would work great. I bought one but noticed in the directions it says for uncoated metals. Maybe they are assuming it will be used with metal polish; or maybe the cone on a drill will cut through the clear coat with any polish. Does anyone know?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Fick
I recently got an 06 with polished wheels. They are in great shape but I would like to get more shine on them. I did a search and found that they are coated so I should not use metal polishes but paint polishes are OK.

My question is will the Mothers Power Cone damage the clear coat if used with a paint polish? My orbital buffer is too big to be much good on the wheels and the Power Cone would work great. I bought one but noticed in the directions it says for uncoated metals. Maybe they are assuming it will be used with metal polish; or maybe the cone on a drill will cut through the clear coat with any polish. Does anyone know?
Ive have used the Mothers Powerball Mini with paint polish on coated wheels without issue, but use it carefully. You will never remove 100% of the milky white coloring but from 10 feet back they will often shine just like chrome. Use a good sealant on them too and it will reduce cleanup sessions, Blackfire Crystal Seal is my current favorite.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those polished wheels drove me crazy on my C5 AND my C6. I finally said "screw it" and bought chrome.

One of the smartest things I've done.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Fick
Pro

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Ive have used the Mothers Powerball Mini with paint polish on coated wheels without issue, but use it carefully. You will never remove 100% of the milky white coloring but from 10 feet back they will often shine just like chrome. Use a good sealant on them too and it will reduce cleanup sessions, Blackfire Crystal Seal is my current favorite.
Thanks, I'll give it a try; and I plan on using my Four Starr UPP to seal them.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Fick
Pro

Originally Posted by tampatopless
Those polished wheels drove me crazy on my C5 AND my C6. I finally said "screw it" and bought chrome.

One of the smartest things I've done.
Probably the best thing to do but I just bought the car and am adding a Corsa exhaust and a transparent top; I need to stop the bleeding.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Polished Wheel Question

Quick Reply: Another Polished Wheel Question