Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Critique my pre-purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Critique my pre-purchase!

I am looking to build a "starter" detailing kit for my LeMans Blue 2007 Z06.

Here is what I'm looking to purchase. Please throw in any suggestions/advice/changes. The majority of these items were selected based on forum/internet research and personal experience. I am a amateur when it comes to this level of detailing.

For paint correction (light-medium swirl removal)
Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads (Meg's 105/205 which seems to work very well).

For pre-polish/wash prep
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay (Bogo on autogeek's website)

Wash/Soap
Wolfgang Auto Bathe (any other suggestions, something cheaper maybe?)

Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

Drying
The Guzzler Waffle Weave (I currently use a Toro electric leaf blower that works pretty well though always leaves some small water spots)

Wheel Cleaning
Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush (Because I never clean the wheels past the spokes)

Detailer's Wheel Cleaner (Also Bogo on autogeek's web site)

Outside Trim Pieces ALL
Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

Inside Trim Pieces
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner / Conditioner

Microfiber towels for various uses
Deluxe Jr. 600 Microfiber Towels 3 Pack (I still have a hard time paying this much for a towel). I've been looking at Mothers/Meguiars towels that have great reviews for half the cost, but people here love their Cobra's it seems.

Sealant
Open to suggestions. I hear the Blackfire sealant is pretty good, but of course there's many brands that I think people use based on personal preference or experience.

Ideally I want to build a kit I can use weekly or bi-weekly and be able to break out the DA every few months to keep the car nice and waxed. This is my daily driver and is garage kept. I do travel often so sometimes it sits for a week or two at a time, if that matters. I'd like to get the car to "photo" or "show" quality each time I detail it.

Thank you in advance!

I have buckets and I'll pick up two grit guards to use the two-bucket wash system.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have only one suggestion. Dry your vehicle using the “pool rinse” method. View the link and you will see how to use this method, that is, if you do not already know what it is and/or how to use this method. I use this method every time I wash and dry my vehicle. I can assure you, it works and you will not spend the time you did before drying your vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmb9DWdnFc

As stated in the video, you want to follow this method, if you have one, by using a leaf blower. While you are using the leaf blower, blow off all the water remaining on the vehicle from using the “pool rinse” method. It is imperative to get the spout of the blower close to, but not touching your vehicle. You want to blow air into all the crevasses of the monograms affixed to the body, mirrors, door handles, gas door, headlights, tail lights, side running lights, body side molding, and so on. You will be amazed how much water is stored in these areas. You do not want the water to drip, drop, or to run down into your next steps.

I use 100% cotton towels after I pool rinse and use the leaf blower. My vehicle is dry to the point I really do not need to use a towel, but I give the body a good quick once over with the towel. When finished, I can place that towel back on the rack folded. The pool rinse and leaf blower dries my vehicle that well,,,,and,,,,the less you have to touch the body with anything, towels, or whatever, the less likely you will have the very minor cat like scratches that seem to always appear regardless…..

Last edited by c6vetteinhouston; 09-10-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

nice order .... you are using the BOGO section well and often a way to help build a chemical and towel collection.

Sealant = Wolfgang, Blackfire, or my personal favorite Four Star UPP
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Richard@Adams
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car Care Kit

Adam's is the Officially Licensed Car Care Products of the Corvette and Camaro. Go to adamspolishes.com and see the car care kits available with the Porter Cable 7424 XP and the Flex. Watch the videos and then make a decision.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard Kashinsky
Adam's is the Officially Licensed Car Care Products of the Corvette and Camaro. Go to adamspolishes.com and see the car care kits available with the Porter Cable 7424 XP and the Flex. Watch the videos and then make a decision.
Wow, their website is pretty impressive to say the least. And the swirl removal video is really easy to follow and though it may over simplify the instructions (for someone like myself who wants to make it easier), color coordinating the pads and polishes seems like a great idea.

Now, I wonder if Adams offers forum members any type of discount like other forum sponsors do
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 AM
trm 84
Instructor

Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii
Wow, their website is pretty impressive to say the least. And the swirl removal video is really easy to follow and though it may over simplify the instructions (for someone like myself who wants to make it easier), color coordinating the pads and polishes seems like a great idea.

Now, I wonder if Adams offers forum members any type of discount like other forum sponsors do
"VETTE" = 10% off.

Oh, and Adam's rocks!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by trm 84
"VETTE" = 10% off.

Oh, and Adam's rocks!
Well, that makes it a little easier, thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard Kashinsky
Ashley Wilson will help you with your order and answer any question you may have. Anyone on the Adam's team will be glad to help. Just call.
I actually used the online chat feature and spent some time with Mario this morning. After reading many reviews and speaking to him over the chat, I decided to place a pretty big order over the phone. Basically I ordered everything I mentioned above but in the Adam's flavor of products, as well as their sit-down detailing cart for washing my wheels and using the DA on the lower parts of the car. Mario was super helpful both online via chat and on the phone and even threw in some freebies.

I never really like throwing all of my eggs in one basket, but he stated Adam's has a 110% guarantee and will pay for return shipping if I'm dissatisfied with any of their products or allow me to exchange a product for another.

I'll post pics hopefully by this weekend of the products I ordered, and before and after pictures of my LeMans blue Z06 and see how it turns out.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
trm 84
Instructor

Great call on the rolling seat - it really saves your knees.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by trm 84
Great call on the rolling seat - it really saves your knees.
Indeed. I started looking at how low our cars were from the perspective of not just cleaning the wheels, which I normally just bend squat down for, but for doing paint correction. And being that I'm 6'4, I'm not squatting or bending for that amount of time
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You mentioned:

Wash/Soap
Wolfgang Auto Bathe (any other suggestions, something cheaper maybe?)

My suggestion on a great and ture car wash is Blue Coral. You can get it from most auto stores and Wal Mart, too. This stuff works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Critique my pre-purchase!

Quick Reply: Critique my pre-purchase!