Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Considering Purchasing Detailing Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 PM
TurdsOfMayhem
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Considering Purchasing Detailing Kit

Hello All,

I've been considering for quite some time to learn how to use a buffer and start detailing my cars on my own instead of relying on someone else to do so. I really like the idea of purchasing a kit of sorts for ease of use.

I have been looking at the kits by Adams Polishes, and really like the instructional videos offered for the novices as well as the easy color coordinated steps. So far I'm leaning towards the kits with the Flex polisher. The hardest thing to me to learn would be how much pressure to apply and how fast to move the polisher. Mostly looking to start with paint correction and keeping my wheels well maintained.

Don't fully understand the layering process yet and how that works. Going to scan through this forum section for a bit.

Anyone here in Spring, TX willing to maybe let me pick there brain when I take the plunge?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the cool thing about internet forums is you get to pick the brains of anyone and everyone who is willing to offer advice

That being said, if you look at some of my recent posts, I just experienced the same exact issue as you. I recently researched many products and different venders here on the forums. We have several that are more than willing to help you out.

For myself, I also gave Adam's a shot. So far, they've been more than extremely helpful as well as dealing with them online via chat makes life a breeze. I purchased many products from them including a combination of "kits". The largest kit I purchased from Adam's was their Porter Cable XP Starter Kit in hopes to do perfect paint correction on our hard clears.

I unfortunately have some sever water mark etchings that I'm trying to fix and have only had mild to medium success. I wasn't sure if it was the polishes, my technique or that my imperfections were too severe for what I purchased. Long story short, Adam's was more than willing and accommodating in my situation and I've purchased several other products as well as made recent changes to my previous purchases.

Adam's has a 110% money back guarantee and I believe other venders here offer some type of guarantee as well. I thought the PC would be enough for my issues, but even after picking up some Megs 105/205 polishes I still don't have perfect paint, although it is better.

Because I "think" I need more horsepower or at the very least it should help, I just upgraded to the Flex, all online with Ashley via online chat over at Adam's. She made the upgrade super easy and I will be returning the PC. The best part, I got the additional 10% discount (that whole 110% guarantee), plus free express shipping as well as return shipping on my order.

I may have to cut up my credit card or I'll go broke buying more products.

Just my .2 cents and recent experiences.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Also as far as technique goes, find my posts. I posted some recent YouTube video's asking about my technique. There are also a ton of videos online via Youtube (Junkman's are some of the best) as well as online at Adam's website.

My technique got the seal of approval from Dylan over at Adam's, so I could at least eliminate that variable in my quest for perfect paint. With the Flex, my understanding is that it takes less pressure than the PC to polish and because of the difference in both RPM's the Flex produces as well as the polishing motion it uses, it "should" produce better and/or faster results.

When doing paint correction, I've learned that you should start with the least aggrressive polish. If you are using Adam's, that's the white pad and FMP or Fine Machine Polish. If that doesn't work, then step up to the orange pad and SHR or Swirl Haze Remover. If that doesn't do it, jump up to the green pad and the SSR or Severe Swirl Remover.

Once you figure out which level of product works the best, you will then use that product to correct a test panel, an area you choose that's 2 feet x 2 feet. Then, you step back down to the least aggressive to correct even further. For example, the orange pad/SHR works for you. You polish with that, then switch to the white pad and FMP.

If you want to give Megs 105/205 a shot. Test an area with 205 (less aggressive). If that doesn't correct enough, then step up to their 105. If 105 doesn't work, you may need to wet sand your imperfections out

After you've corrected your paint, it's time to get some sealant on there. That least thing you want to do is do a paint correcion then have rain/bird bombs/bugs, etc hit the corrected paint with no protection on it.

Let whatever sealant you want to cure for 12-24 hours+ before you either apply a glaze of your choice and/or a wax. I believe the sequence is:

Paint correction
Sealant
Glaze
Wax

Don't quote me on that, I'm still learning the layers myself. I believe you can use EITHER a glaze or a wax if you want that super deep wet, shiny, glossy look.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Don't spend alot of money on products and never get the full benefit out of them. With Corvettes, the clearcoat is considered hard, and you need to follow the recommendations of many here with proven results. Look for products and recommendations from many users and definetely work with someone local when possible.

Buffer -- Flex, PC-XP, Griots or Megs
Pads --- Hydrotech pads and/or microfiber pads
polishes --- Menzerna, Megs or Wolfgang

There are many video's on site and we offer a forum with many using these products on Vettes and other rides that will come to help and give you solid advice. Let us know if we can help and realize only one retailer has been here and satisfying clients for ten years.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Get notified of new replies

To Considering Purchasing Detailing Kit

Quick Reply: Considering Purchasing Detailing Kit