Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Can you correct/seal/glaze/wax in this order?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can you correct/seal/glaze/wax in this order?

After I complete my paint correction, then follow it up with sealant I've read I should wait 12-24 hours to let the sealant cure. AFTER it cures, and BEFORE I apply the glaze then wax, can I wash the car again to get all of the dust and (fill in the blank) off the car?

I know for sure I'm going to have some dust. I could spend time with a detail spray and or compressed air but ideally I'd like to just hit it with some water, dry it off then follow it with some glaze and wax.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii
After I complete my paint correction, then follow it up with sealant I've read I should wait 12-24 hours to let the sealant cure. AFTER it cures, and BEFORE I apply the glaze then wax, can I wash the car again to get all of the dust and (fill in the blank) off the car?

I know for sure I'm going to have some dust. I could spend time with a detail spray and or compressed air but ideally I'd like to just hit it with some water, dry it off then follow it with some glaze and wax.
Sealants should indeed have some time to cure. You can always wash after the sealant has cured before doing any topping. Why a glaze ?? What type of wax ?? (make sure wax has no appreciable cleaners or polishes as it will remove all your work)

You might find a rinseless wash to work well after the sealant cures instead of a traditional wash.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Usually you want to wait 24-48hrs before washing, I'd just buy a quality Sealant then you won't have to do so many steps to get the look you want.

HD Nitro Seal would be perfect for this, love how it came out on my dads Le Mans Blue Z06 and mine.

Make sure you have the appropriate wash tools to wash the car with since you just spent alot of time fixing the paint to be perfect, now you want it to stay that way

Last edited by LS9Drew; 09-28-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 PM
DaveVY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, after the sealant cures you can wash the car before applying glaze. The glaze and wax aren't necessary, but by applying those extra steps you can add an extra depth or pop. If I am doing these extra steps (as part of my fun therapy time) I will usually do this a week later after a wash.

Shine on!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Sealants should indeed have some time to cure. You can always wash after the sealant has cured before doing any topping. Why a glaze ?? What type of wax ?? (make sure wax has no appreciable cleaners or polishes as it will remove all your work)

You might find a rinseless wash to work well after the sealant cures instead of a traditional wash.
I have Adams Machine Sealant which when applied looks really good but I'm wondering if my car could look "wetter". My understanding of this product is that you sacrifice some look for added protection. Although its my daily driver it's garaged kept and I enjoy detailing it.

When I picked up the Meg's 105/205 at a local auto store they also had Meg's #7 and #26 on sale. Both had good reviews online so I grabbed a bottle of each. I was thinking seal the add glaze for the extra pop/shine then wax to make it bling!

Am I on the wrong track?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Usually you want to wait 24-48hrs before washing, I'd just buy a quality Sealant then you won't have to do so many steps to get the look you want.

HD Nitro Seal would be perfect for this, love how it came out on my dads Le Mans Blue Z06 and mine.

Make sure you have the appropriate wash tools to wash the car with since you just spent alot of time fixing the paint to be perfect, now you want it to stay that way
Oh yeah, I have a mini detail shop in my garage now. Two buckets, grit guards, high quality micro fiber towels / waffle weave galore etc...
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveVY
Sure, after the sealant cures you can wash the car before applying glaze. The glaze and wax aren't necessary, but by applying those extra steps you can add an extra depth or pop. If I am doing these extra steps (as part of my fun therapy time) I will usually do this a week later after a wash.

Shine on!
Hmm didn't think about breaking it up into two weekends. I'm home this week so Ill have more than enough time to let it cure and then shine it up!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh yeah, I have a mini detail shop in my garage now. Two buckets, grit guards, high quality micro fiber towels / waffle weave galore etc...
Good stuff man, good luck
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

So, upon further research it appears that Meg's #7 and #26 are over 6+ years old

Not that an old product doesn't have its usefulness but I'm now guessing there are superior products out there that work, last longer, work better and are easier to apply and remove.

The quest for deep, dripping wet paint continues....
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

And yet, as I read more and more reviews online at various vender sites, the Meg's #7/#26 combo is still getting perfect reviews as late as August of this year.

Since I already have it, I may give it a shot and see how it turns out. It may not be worth the $20 to drive back to the store just to return it.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Megs #7 is a great product in general and often used before certain waxes to add some additional wetness. #26 also is a great product and offers alot of depth and wetness at a very reasonable entry price. You will likely see some small benefits in using them but now will have to treat the surface (washing, drying, keep up) like a wax which is not as durable as a sealant.

May I ask, why not make things a bit more simple and get some products that can offer what you want in one or two products ?? Products like our Wolfgang and Blackfire Sealant are super glossy and reflective and easy to apply and remove. Most only use them and consider the finish exactly as wanted. Then using a simple spray booster when desired keeps em going.

Our waxes, Pinnacle, and the waxes for which all others judge themselves and always held in high regards for their wetness, depth, and easiest of removal. You will find waxes with much higher price tags and limited availability as being judged against waxes like Souveran and Fuzion paste. I understand the price of admission is a bit higher but you won't have so many bottles on shelves and more time to enjoy the outcome.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:40 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Megs #7 is a great product in general and often used before certain waxes to add some additional wetness. #26 also is a great product and offers alot of depth and wetness at a very reasonable entry price. You will likely see some small benefits in using them but now will have to treat the surface (washing, drying, keep up) like a wax which is not as durable as a sealant.

May I ask, why not make things a bit more simple and get some products that can offer what you want in one or two products ?? Products like our Wolfgang and Blackfire Sealant are super glossy and reflective and easy to apply and remove. Most only use them and consider the finish exactly as wanted. Then using a simple spray booster when desired keeps em going.

Our waxes, Pinnacle, and the waxes for which all others judge themselves and always held in high regards for their wetness, depth, and easiest of removal. You will find waxes with much higher price tags and limited availability as being judged against waxes like Souveran and Fuzion paste. I understand the price of admission is a bit higher but you won't have so many bottles on shelves and more time to enjoy the outcome.
I originally had my eye on the Blackfire sealant and think I'm going to order a bottle so I can try it. So far the Adam's machine sealant is looking very good but I'd like to test it against another product to see if the results differ.

Spending money on car care products like its my job. But hey, somebodies got to help kick start this economy
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I originally had my eye on the Blackfire sealant and think I'm going to order a bottle so I can try it. So far the Adam's machine sealant is looking very good but I'd like to test it against another product to see if the results differ.

Spending money on car care products like its my job. But hey, somebodies got to help kick start this economy
I hope it did not come off as harsh ... it was not meant that way. Remember with each order from us to grab a free sample as another great way to enjoy some products without the initial cost.

http://www.autogeek.net/car-care-samples.html
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

No, not at all

After I took the pictures and saw the spots that needed more work I didn't want to post them

But that was the final outcome for the amount of time and work I put in so I wanted to see what I had for now, then when I go over it again I'm hoping to see more improvement. I'm thinking I may slow it down and do a panel on the car each day next week so I can really focus on getting it corrected the right way.

I'm sure over time the process becomes easier and faster and if I can find products that help in that process as well, I'm all for it

Get notified of new replies

To Can you correct/seal/glaze/wax in this order?

Quick Reply: Can you correct/seal/glaze/wax in this order?