Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Carnuba over zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 01:59 AM
Ross78
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carnuba over zaino?

Has anyone ever used a Carnuba wax over Zaino? I have about 5 coats of z5 and a coat of z2 (yes I used dawn, claybar, zfx and z6) and a still can see some light surface scratches (car is black).

I would like to try a Carnuba to see how if it would hide the marks (you can only see them at a certian angle in certain lighting conditions).

Would the Carnuba remove the Zaino? If not and, I decide to use more zaino would a wash with Dawn be adequate to apply more zaino?

What is a good carnuba to hide marks.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:29 AM
DsC5
Race Director

Default Re: Carnuba over zaino? (Ross78)

Has anyone ever used a Carnuba wax over Zaino? I have about 5 coats of z5 and a coat of z2 (yes I used dawn, claybar, zfx and z6) and a still can see some light surface scratches (car is black).

I would like to try a Carnuba to see how if it would hide the marks (you can only see them at a certian angle in certain lighting conditions).

Would the Carnuba remove the Zaino? If not and, I decide to use more zaino would a wash with Dawn be adequate to apply more zaino?

What is a good carnuba to hide marks.
I haven't tried it, but I'm beginning to get in an experimenting mood. I may try some Souveran over the Zaino on the white coupe, just to see. I had good luck hiding swirls on other cars with mother's pure carnauba paste. it doesn't last long though. I don't see how it could hurt, so it's probably worth a shot.
Yes, you can dawn the car and get back to Zaino after.
I am actually going to remove the Zaino and try Souveran straight up on the black Z06. Thoughts and observations forthcoming. :seeya
Old 09-29-2002, 04:47 AM
GShyneDM
Race Director

Default Re: Carnuba over zaino? (Ross78)

first off...

i wouldnt do carnuba over zaino. with a black car... i too know what you are experienceing...

i did a layer of carnuba over the zaino...and it did not help. infact, i saw more micro scratches/swirls from the application, due to the fact that waxes rub out old layers of wax or whatever is on the surface of the car. I also got lots of oily spots under the wax coat. i ended up dawning the car, and reapplying zaino.

your best bet is to use 3m part 39009 mild abrasive polish to buff out the big swirls or scrathes..then for the smaller ones that the 3m product will create, i suggest meguiars step two deep crystal system polish to finalize your polishing needs. afterwards..you can wash the car with dawn.. then apply z-1, z-5, z-6, z-5, z-6, z5... or use the ZFX method with Z-5 for faster results. your black paint will NEVER i mean NEVER be free of any marks. its just the nature of the color. but doing what i just said will make your car have the least swirl/scratch/whatever marks that it will ever have. :yesnod: Good LUck :) :cheers:
Old 09-30-2002, 08:02 PM
mhaber
Racer

Default Re: Carnuba over zaino? (GShyneDM)

I've used P21S and Souveran over Zaino. I had good, even excellent results. Both products produce a great shine. I didn't see any improvement in swirl marks without using 3M SMR. Of course, both the carnauba's lack durability, but if you wax frequently this should be ok. I prefer P21S over Souveran and it's 1/3 the price. You may want to start by doing 1/4 or 1/2 of your hood like I did. Apply 5 coats of the carnauba, then compare with the Zaino side. Both looked the same to me, but when I ran my hand over the hood, the carnauba side had a tacky feel while the Zaino was smooth as glass. That test convinced me to go back to Z.

Get notified of new replies

To Carnuba over zaino?

Quick Reply: Carnuba over zaino?