Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Any reason not to buy Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner/

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:51 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Any reason not to buy Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner?

I need to get some new wheel cleaner and I'm looking at either the Griot's regular Wheel Cleaner or the Heavy duty. The Corvette definitely does not need heavy duty but our other two cars probably could. I'd rather just buy one product, though.

Is there any reason NOT to use the heavy duty on wheels that really don't need it?

Last edited by IndyPilot; 05-24-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

I use and would recommend this wheel cleaner from Adam's....
Old 05-25-2017, 07:33 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Haven't used the griots myself (yet). But it's getting great reviews on the detailing boards.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
I use and would recommend this wheel cleaner from Adam's....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl7lgF4YoDM
Unless wheels are neglected, often it is best to use caution when choosing a wheel cleaner. Safe wheel cleaners often need some agitation but free of ingredients that are harsh and may not be needed on a normal detailing schedule. Wheel cared for and coated wheels often only need car soap and water to clean properly.

Some strong wheel cleaners use acids, lye, and other ingredients that can scar rotors, brake calipers, rotor hats and more over time. Not saying all "heavy duty" formulas are bad or harmful, but use sense in when and how to use them.

And one absolute in wheel cleaning .... NEVER clean hot wheels. Allow wheels to be cool before working on them. My personal recommendation is to always error on the side of caution and spend the extra money on an assortment of good brushes to help with wheels and barrels.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:45 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
Unless wheels are neglected, often it is best to use caution when choosing a wheel cleaner. Safe wheel cleaners often need some agitation but free of ingredients that are harsh and may not be needed on a normal detailing schedule. Wheel cared for and coated wheels often only need car soap and water to clean properly.

Some strong wheel cleaners use acids, lye, and other ingredients that can scar rotors, brake calipers, rotor hats and more over time. Not saying all "heavy duty" formulas are bad or harmful, but use sense in when and how to use them.

And one absolute in wheel cleaning .... NEVER clean hot wheels. Allow wheels to be cool before working on them. My personal recommendation is to always error on the side of caution and spend the extra money on an assortment of good brushes to help with wheels and barrels.
I've always cleaning my wheels with car soap up until this point. Now that I'm getting more miles on the car, I need something a little stronger than soap for areas that I can't easily get into to agitate. Something that will help break down what is there so I can wash it away. The soap isn't strong enough.

I see that the Heavy Duty is non-acidic. I'm OK buying the non-heavy duty for the Corvette and the Heavy Duty for the other cars. Just thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and buy one product.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:48 AM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Used Adams wheel cleaner (use all Adams stuff) for a while when it came out. I don't enjoy the smell but have went back to Griots heavy duty wheel cleaner. Does the same but far less stench. Both great products.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
I've always cleaning my wheels with car soap up until this point. Now that I'm getting more miles on the car, I need something a little stronger than soap for areas that I can't easily get into to agitate. Something that will help break down what is there so I can wash it away. The soap isn't strong enough.

I see that the Heavy Duty is non-acidic. I'm OK buying the non-heavy duty for the Corvette and the Heavy Duty for the other cars. Just thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and buy one product.
I understand completely what your saying ...

I no longer represent Autogeek, but when I did you will find ample posts on wheel cleaning and cleaners. I still suggest using a safe, dedicated wheel cleaner to be the best option even on most "dirty" wheels. When wheels are 'neglected" that's when I consider the heavy duty versions and usually start with the regular, lighter, formula first.

I would suggest that once the wheels are cleaned well and well prepped, consider using a ceramic based coating on them. (both cars) You will find you can easily cleanup most wheels with car soap after the coating application.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM
MHE-Plex
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
I need to get some new wheel cleaner and I'm looking at either the Griot's regular Wheel Cleaner or the Heavy duty. The Corvette definitely does not need heavy duty but our other two cars probably could. I'd rather just buy one product, though.

Is there any reason NOT to use the heavy duty on wheels that really don't need it?
FWIW, I switched from the local mega store brands to Sonax after learning about it on this forum from Glen e. I haven't had to clean my C7 wheels yet but I'm happy w/Sonax results on the other rides.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I've used it for years.. Balanced PH and NO acid.. Works great and buy it by the gallon.. You won't be sorry..

Get notified of new replies

To Any reason not to buy Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner/

Quick Reply: Any reason not to buy Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner/