Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Glad I didn't do a Ceramic coating...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Foosh
In the interests of painting a balanced picture here, the video is from the CEO of a wax company, whose sales have no doubt been affected by the rising popularity of ceramic coatings. That makes him not an entirely credible source.

Yea, I saw someone post a comment on the YouTube page saying it was nice to see an unbiased review....
The following users liked this post:
NortonCO (12-25-2019)
Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Did the Adam's ceramic coating last week. I've used coatings before and am comfortable with them. It's all in the prep work and the car will look awesome if done properly.
Attached Images    
The following 2 users liked this post by Streetrod782:
BlackBandit (05-22-2020), NortonCO (12-25-2019)
Old 06-07-2017, 12:45 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

In the interests of painting a balanced picture here, the video is from the CEO of a wax company, whose sales have no doubt been affected by the rising popularity of ceramic coatings. That makes him not an entirely credible source.
At $500- or more for a ceramic I doubt Meguiars is going out of business anytime soon!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 142 Posts

I do both and for different reasons. I've applied ceramic on the Z since I want to extend the intervals between waxing and plan to use the car as a 3 season daily driver. It will get washed about once a week so the protection and ability to shed water are really important features. The car is staying cleaner, longer in between washes.

For my garage queen/other weekend toy, I wax the car with my favorite product. The durability doesn't need to be good since it goes out on nice days infrequently. It stays pretty clean for obvious reasons too.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:47 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

That video makes some points I hadn't thought about, so I'm happy I didn't do the ceramic yet like I was planning. Just some ONR no-rinse car wash like Glen E suggested and the 2,300 miles of road grime from the NCM washed off like magic.

Last edited by fumbling; 06-07-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:36 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Amen.

Especially since they do not offer a "coating"
Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Used ziano bro. Products for a decade, but recently ceramic coated my 2015 z51 and can say without a doubt it is awesome! Light wash and go! Car never looked so good. I have 100 of dollars of ziano sitting in my garage that I'm using up on my girlfriends car until I ceramic coat hers. Wolfgang uber is fantastic! I was sceptical, but now I believe.
ronkh57 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 07:29 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Original thoughts 10/2016

2004 Corvette
Paint: WG Uber Ceramic (05/2016) topped every month or two with a coating booster
Wheels: Gyeon Q2 Rim (07/2016)
Tires: Tuff Shine Tire Clearcoat (07/2016)

Picture of car after having not been washed since mid August. Car has been driven about 3000 miles since then, rained on in morning, sat in sun same afternoon a few times, driven through rainstorms, sat outside all night many times:

Obviously, under OCD-ish, Autogeek like scrutiny you can find small water spots, dust and dirt but generally, car looks pretty fresh.

Only chemicals I use on exterior are WG Auto Bathe (now Gyeon Bathe) when I do get around to washing it and the occasional coating booster. No tire dressing, no wheel cleaners, no Quick Detailers. No more special 'wheels only' towels/wash mitts that end up grungy and nasty. Washing and drying take about 20 minutes w buckets/grit guards.

Pics of car after finally washing today and hitting with the coating booster (Kamikaze Overcoat), total time spent about 45 minutes, only 2 platinum pluffles, 1 wash mitt and 1 Gyeon BaldWipe to wash afterwards:

I love clean cars but don't necessarily like cleaning the cars. Used to take me 2hrs to wash car and had to do it way more often. This approach is certainly working for me but likely not for those who find enjoyment/relaxation from cleaning their cars. I used to for sure and it took me a lot of trying this and that since last spring (and more than a bit of $$) to reach what seems to work for me and still make me turn around and stare at the cars just to enjoy the shine. Of course, now I'm wrapped up in finding the best coating for me...it's always something, huh?

Update:
Since post was originally concocted, I’ve dived deeper into coatings and yes, they still work for me. The WG Uber on the Corvette made it thru winter just fine as car was in storage November 2016 thru April 2017. Our black 2016 Subaru WRX, which was coated with the Uber Ceramic in Spring 2016 did not fare so well as a daily driver thru the NE Ohio winter of 2016-2017. While upper vertical and horizontal surfaces maintained their hydrophobic and self cleaning abilities, the lower sides of the car seem to have had the coatings stripped away/degraded to the point where they were no longer performing as needed by me (self-cleaning ability). However, our 2016 Honda Civic, coated in Kamikaze Miyabi (x 2), Kamikaze ISM (x 1) and topped with Kamikaze Overcoat made it thru daily use over the course of the NE Ohio winter unscathed, despite daily use; this stuff is tough.

Having the opportunity to compound/polish and coat numerous fleet vehicles at work over the winter of 2017, I was able to witness firsthand the performance of a variety of coatings on vehicles that receive, to put it kindly, less than optimal care. Since coating, none of these vehicles has ever been washed aside from being outside in rainstorms. The coatings used were:
Cquartz
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + Liquid Crystal C2V3
Gyeon MOHS + Gyeon Cure
Gyeon Prime + Gyeon Cure
Pearl Nano
The Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating
22ple HPC + 22ple VS1 Final Coat

In addition, I did two vehicles that were simply topped with Collinite 915. They perform as expected from a waxed car; nicely protected but much, much dirtier in daily use.

At this point in time, nearly all of the coated vehicles still look very nice with no maintenance/washing performed since application. The 22ple HPC and Gyeon MOHS are at the top of the heap as far as looking good; the HPC in particular has maintained an incredible look with no upkeep. All coatings (save for the Gtechniq CSL) have horizontal panels with no significant spotting and still sheet water very well. The Cquartz is kinda a quiet success, firmly in the middle of the pack but holding strong as far looking good goes. The Gtechniq CSL probably should have been topped with EXO as I have seen evidence that the self-cleaning and sheeting abilities of this combo are simply excellent; oh well, maybe next time as I truly enjoyed the look of the CSL after application but it seems to spot easily, although spots are easily removed.

As for our personal cars, the Civic remains as it did on application, always clean looking (within reason) despite nearly daily use and being parked outside every day/night. The 2016 black WRX has been re-polished to strip the WG Uber and recoated with Kamikaze Miyabi, ISM, Infinity Wax and Overcoat; it’s incredible how clean this BLACK car stays with this combo. If it needs a quick clean, generally a simple wipedown with Poorboys World Spray & Wipe returns it to excellent shape.

I’m also pretty convinced the coatings do provide a *small* measure of protection from my occasionally lax washing habits; while I do have 2 buckets with grit guards, I generally only use one bucket (with Gyeon Bathe) to wash them. Despite the unbelievably delicate and soft Subaru paint (before coating simply, looking at it seemed to induce swirls) it remains swirl free, likely due to a combo of a coatings slight protection from marring and because, with the coatings performance, I simply don’t need to wash it very often.

Anyway, the coatings work for me and I can change appearance slightly based on the SiO2 ‘booster’ I can use with them; want some high gloss, albeit with a bit less durability? Polish Angel High Gloss spritz really brings out some extra clarity and shine. Gyeon Cure is a bit more muted, warm look and when I just want some incredible water behavior to entertain me as I drive thru rainstorms, Kamikaze Overcoat is the way to go.

Now many question coatings and their ‘need for boosters to maintain them’ seem to forget that most who wax/seal do the same type of maintenance with Quick Detailers of different varieties so that’s kinda a moot point (although coating ‘boosters’ are somewhat more pricey than something like Kenotek Showroom Shine)…but usage of the SiO2 boosters is relatively minimal on a ‘per application’ basis. A 250ml bottle of Overcoat lasted me en entire summer of 2016 and into 2017 using twice monthly, if I need to wash that often, of 3 cars…stuff goes a long way.

Anyway, that’s my take on the whole coating deal…it just works *for me* which is certainly not to say it works for everyone; it may not for others and like someone says “Find something you like and use it often”.

The wheels and tires hold up well, just occasionally hit the wheels with Gyeon Wetcoat for a little added boost and the Tuff SHine is till doing quite well, although refreshed at beginning of 2017 'season'.

Edit: A note about application. All of the above applied quite easily but did have varying 'apply, wipe off' time frames. The Kamikaze Miyabi was one of the easiest and most forgiving to use and the 22ple HPC could likely be applied by my wife while wearing a blindfold and talking on her cell phone; it's chemical makeup somehow allows it to apply much like a sealant with 'hazing' occurring when it's time to remove and a very large 'window of forgiveness'.

FWIW, I left a 'bird bomb' sit on the hood of the Gyeon MOHS coated vehicle for over a week and then removed it with Poorboys Bird Sh*t Remover...it left no mark whatsoever, so that Mohs gotta be some tough stuff as well. Sealants I've used (Zaino in particular) were particularly poor in that regard; the Corvette (which wore multiple layers of Zaino Z5/CS from 2004 thru 2016) has some permanently etched water spots that occurred at some point in it's lifetime. Pretty old technology these days but still...was thought to be pretty 'state of the art' at the time.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 06-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
joemessman (06-08-2017), justplainjim (06-08-2017), ronkh57 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

Ok, this was an interesting video, but wrong on a few points. In my detail shop I do both Ceramic and Zaino.
Ceramic provides a much high scratch and contaminant resistance than wax/Zaino.
Second I have buffed out scratches in Ceramic, you just need to know how to do it. I did not have to sand anything.

A good prep is a must on any detail job, wax or ceramic. Why would you put wax on any car loaded with scratches and swirls
My prep for ceramic is just an hour or two more to make sure there are no things hidden that will come to light once the ceramic is on.

Finally, I have done ceramic on classic cars to preserve what little paint is left.
NortonCO (12-25-2019)
Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Ceramic has worked well for me. I'm way too lazy to wax my car 3 times a year. my car looks amazing and is easy to clean!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sparky973
It's on the internet, it must be true.......
Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

So I screwed up coating this ????

Name:  20151213_105958_zpspbhtjkq7.jpg
Views: 6354
Size:  4.67 MB

Name:  20151213_103213_zpsk9w2nxxl.jpg
Views: 6333
Size:  5.48 MB

Name:  20151213_103207_zpsmkag0jqa.jpg
Views: 6295
Size:  4.87 MB

Name:  20151213_102605_zpsyhf7njwd.jpg
Views: 6479
Size:  5.05 MB

Name:  20151213_101709_zpslozms7gs.jpg
Views: 6194
Size:  207.6 KB

Name:  20151213_101733_zpsgoaaplrh.jpg
Views: 6383
Size:  275.5 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by ronkh57:
mattya9 (09-15-2020), NortonCO (12-25-2019)
Old 08-15-2017, 02:06 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,303 Likes on 806 Posts

I always used wax quality pro, in particular UK, US and I want to outstrip the interval of intervention with the ceramic. I have all the necessary material but don't know nothing abfout "the good nanoceramic coating", but the resultats seem great . Which products advise me you and mark please ? 9H , 10H...and links. Thanks

Last edited by BKorsaire; 08-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ronkh57
So I screwed up coating this ????
Yes you did. It is way too shiny. Hurts my eyes.

Your car looks great
ronkh57 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:30 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

OK, I found alone, directly in UK, where I used to order wax, sealant, carnauba with attractive prices.

I'll choise CQ, carpro, sonax
Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

The most important questions to me are, with a ceramic coating, do bird droppings and hard water drops etch the coating?

Tom
Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Absolutely no ! you have a protection against dust, water, birds dropping and fine stripes (scratches).

I think with ceramic coating, I'll have more time to drive and rest than do 2 detailing/year with wax, sealents, oils, carnauda+poymeres, 10h job along 5 days...Just you have a good preparation before apply the coating ceramic

wash, decontaminant, polish imperfections ( to treat whirs, fine scratches in the clearcoat), then you have to use IPA, alcool isopropylique (in french, sorry) and the ceramic coating. You need a dual action polisher (orbital) to do a very good job to erase imperfections.

Very interesting video, in French Canadian :

I order all my sealent, wax and now ceramic here, in UK http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealan...prod_1091.html,
because here in France, nobody sell for private action DIY, teh guys prefer sell a complete action on your car and it's...EXPENSIVE, so the only solution is to buy in Germany or UK. Prefer a ceramic coating PH Pro or equivalent, because some crystal ceramic only for less one year, quality befor all

some brands for ceramic : Sonax, GTchnic, Carpro reload spay sealent you can find on this website to do an idea

Last edited by BKorsaire; 08-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Glad I didn't do a Ceramic coating...

Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 331 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Works for me!

Last edited by JMills; 08-17-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:29 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

For anyone who has not used Zaino and the put a coat of CS on..your missing something
I have used Zaino products for years and I am most satisfied......but then again , there are many brands to pick from and everyone has their favorite..!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:17 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by REZ1
For anyone who has not used Zaino and the put a coat of CS on..your missing something
I have used Zaino products for years and I am most satisfied......but then again , there are many brands to pick from and everyone has their favorite..!
Used ziano products and can for years, still have a tone of it. I agree that the results are excellent although a lot of work, but absolutely no comparison to after my diy application of Wolfgang uber ceramic coat.

Quick Reply: Glad I didn't do a Ceramic coating...