Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ceramic coating v Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:21 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Keep in mind ceramic requires correct maintenance, and when it degrades(and it will) you have to buff it off...IE a paint correction.

So do the math, a wash and wax session every 2-3 months or so for $10 or Ceramic coat every 2-3 years for $1000-$2000 minimum

A good paint sealer is also an option that can last 6-8 months depending on conditions and is much cheaper.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Keep in mind ceramic requires correct maintenance...
A couple of spritzes of an SiO2 maint product on the towel as s dry after an occasional wash?

I likely spend 60% less time maintaining clean vehicles since I coated 'em and they consistently look better.

Granted it took a bit of time and effort to find what works for *me* but now that I have, very little effort required going forward.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Not happy with the Adams Coating. Working on my write up, but in short - I like the protection and clean up is a snap, but don't like how it looks or applies.

I'd go back to sealant and wax in a heartbeat
Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
A couple of spritzes of an SiO2 maint product on the towel as s dry after an occasional wash?

I likely spend 60% less time maintaining clean vehicles since I coated 'em and they consistently look better.

Granted it took a bit of time and effort to find what works for *me* but now that I have, very little effort required going forward.
Coatings with warranties require the owner to take the car to a certified applicator do the maintenance washes on the car, or at least some do.

When the time comes to reapply the car will require a paint correction at a high cost. It also requires a paint correction before application to do it correctly.

I really don't see "all the rage" with these ceramic coatings. The car will look just as good with a good coat of wax, or good sealant and a wax.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-14-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:59 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I really don't see "all the rage" with these ceramic coatings. The car will look just as good with a good coat of wax, or good sealant and a wax.
Much like there is no true 'best' coating (as there is no absolute 'best' wax or sealant), there is no universal best method for maintaining a cars appearance and finish condition. Different folks like different things...both in appearance and methods.

Coatings work for me, in the area I live and with the maintenance routines I have, because in my eyes my cars look better with less attention from me than with prior LSP's. That might not be everybody's preference and thats part of the fun of it all.

Coated, I don't have to immediately deal with a bird bomb on the hood as soon as the car pulls in the garage (I can wait, oh...at least 5 minutes before OCD kicks in). Nor do I worry about water spotting/etching if the car gets rained on in the morning and baked in the afternoon. It just makes life easier and the car is more enjoyable overall because there's less worry about visible contamination.

Most importantly, though, more so when I was using sealants and waxes, when I walk by the car and the light hits the body contour at just the right angle, I don't see the flaws, I just see deep, smooth gloss.

It's not always perfect with a coating, but it surely is better. For me.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Coatings with warranties require the owner to take the car to a certified applicator do the maintenance washes on the car, or at least some do.

When the time comes to reapply the car will require a paint correction at a high cost. It also requires a paint correction before application to do it correctly.

As a pro detailer that does Ceramic Pro and Zaino, we do not require anyone to bring their car to us for washes.
For Ceramic Pro,there MAY be a light correction needed, but the ones we have dealt with to date needed nothing. I suspect it is the difference between a very high quality product versus one that is not as high in quality. Let's face it, everybody and their brother seems to be jumping on the Ceramic rage. There are products out there I would not touch on a bet.
I recommend to my customers that are not daily drivers, a Zaino detail. On daily drivers definitely Ceramic Pro.
On a daily driver the ease of maintenance is simply amazing.
I could rattle on about how clean the Ceramic Pro cars are. Nothing sticks to it, nor are they etched by bird dropping, sap or water spots. I can't/won't speak for the other Ceramics.
And yes it requires paint correction before being applied because of it's permanency. But then any good detail should have paint correction to make it look good, Ceramic or wax/sealant
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:15 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
As a pro detailer that does Ceramic Pro and Zaino, we do not require anyone to bring their car to us for washes.
For Ceramic Pro,there MAY be a light correction needed, but the ones we have dealt with to date needed nothing. I suspect it is the difference between a very high quality product versus one that is not as high in quality. Let's face it, everybody and their brother seems to be jumping on the Ceramic rage. There are products out there I would not touch on a bet.
I recommend to my customers that are not daily drivers, a Zaino detail. On daily drivers definitely Ceramic Pro.
On a daily driver the ease of maintenance is simply amazing.
I could rattle on about how clean the Ceramic Pro cars are. Nothing sticks to it, nor are they etched by bird dropping, sap or water spots. I can't/won't speak for the other Ceramics.
And yes it requires paint correction before being applied because of it's permanency. But then any good detail should have paint correction to make it look good, Ceramic or wax/sealant

So, when it comes time to reapply the ceramic coating you have to buff the original off the car.

When this is done, can you go back to wax and a sealer or are you married to ceramic coat from that point on?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

When this is done, can you go back to wax and a sealer or are you married to ceramic coat from that point on?
Once ya compound and/or polish the coating off, it's down to bare paint so proceed as desired with respect to LSP.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

So, when it comes time to reapply the ceramic coating you have to buff the original off the car.

Simple answer no we do not have to buff it off, unless there has been damage to the coating.
We just keep adding coats to the existing ceramic.As BudgetPlan1 says, yes you can simply go back to whatever you like if you take it off.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TGO
There's a post in the car care forum showing the "healing" capabilities of one type of coating.

Something that would have made permanent scratches on a car with just wax on it disappeared with some heat. ****, leaving the car out in the sun would have probably done the same thing.

The **** works. It's as simple as that.
This one?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lly-works.html

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating v Waxing