Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Your claybar and claymitt tips n tricks plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Your claybar and claymitt tips n tricks plz

Tomorrow...me and the lady have a spa day. It's been too long.

My plan:

Wash car and wheels

Claymitt the car while stubborn bugs on my front end with Xpel soak with hot water and paper towels laid over this areas. ( NOT claying the PPF)

Then...should I re-wash again for just give her a good hosing off?

Dry

Then microfiber cutting pads pads on my griots DA with meguiars 105
Then foam pads for Chem Guys V38, Blacklite and Jetseal.

Questions:
as I asked above. Wash again or just rinse?

Some PPF seams have that white outline from previous waxing. Your ideas on cleaning that out. I have a few in mind but wanna hear your experience.

Tips for stubborn blemishes on the Xpel?

Thanks fellas.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Ha. Okay, my original thread idea was just about clay tips. I forgot to rename the thread. You get the idea.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Also, I've never used M105 or micro fiber pads.

I'm frustrated with the lack of correction using the orange and yellow foam pads with Chemical Guys V36. It just seemed to not get it all. Ya know.

So...

So, gonna do a small area with M105...see how much more it bites. Then hit it with V38. You can bet I'll be sweating a little more while using M105 first time. I'll probably baby my pressure first few passes and sections.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
Tomorrow...me and the lady have a spa day. It's been too long.

My plan:

Wash car and wheels

Claymitt the car while stubborn bugs on my front end with Xpel soak with hot water and paper towels laid over this areas. ( NOT claying the PPF)

Then...should I re-wash again for just give her a good hosing off?

Dry

Then microfiber cutting pads pads on my griots DA with meguiars 105
Then foam pads for Chem Guys V38, Blacklite and Jetseal.

Questions:
as I asked above. Wash again or just rinse?

Some PPF seams have that white outline from previous waxing. Your ideas on cleaning that out. I have a few in mind but wanna hear your experience.

Tips for stubborn blemishes on the Xpel?

Thanks fellas.
After the wash go right to clay. (MIT or bar) then if you're using a clay lube I would wash again just to get rid of all that. I know guys that think it's a waste of time since you're going right to polish but I like to know there's nothing on the surface of the car before polish.

Lines on your Xpel- if it's really caked in there, a boars hair lug brush with a little all purpose cleaner should do the trick. If it comes off with your finger nail, a micro fiber towel is safer.

Lastly you can polish the Xpel just like you would your paint but I would test the spot with m205 first. Always start with the least aggressive and see if a couple passes will work without breaking out the 105 which is more aggressive.

Good luck and take some before and after shots!

Last edited by WIC7Diver; 06-27-2017 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vetteman1980 (07-11-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 05:18 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

There is no right or wrong way, however in most cases I polish right over the clay residue.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Also, I've never used M105 or micro fiber pads.

I'm frustrated with the lack of correction using the orange and yellow foam pads with Chemical Guys V36. It just seemed to not get it all. Ya know.

So...

So, gonna do a small area with M105...see how much more it bites. Then hit it with V38. You can bet I'll be sweating a little more while using M105 first time. I'll probably baby my pressure first few passes and sections.
Nothing to sweat. Try it on your wife's or girlfriend's car first..
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Jim. Haha. An excellent idea. But unless the clear coat is as hard as the vette, it may be a moot point.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Originally Posted by WIC7Diver
After the wash go right to clay. (MIT or bar) then if you're using a clay lube I would wash again just to get rid of all that. I know guys that think it's a waste of time since you're going right to polish but I like to know there's nothing on the surface of the car before polish.

Lines on your Xpel- if it's really caked in there, a boars hair lug brush with a little all purpose cleaner should do the trick. If it comes off with your finger nail, a micro fiber towel is safer.

Lastly you can polish the Xpel just like you would your paint but I would test the spot with m205 first. Always start with the least aggressive and see if a couple passes will work without breaking out the 105 which is more aggressive.

Good luck and take some before and after shots!
I don't have M205, just the 105. I have a bunch of Chemical Guys polish I wanna finish up. The V38 polish then the other two products.

I don't think it's caked too badly. I was thing of spraying some quick detailed and using a wooden tooth pick to trace around. Pressing lightly being careful not to lift the film
Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

I don't have M205, just the 105. I have a bunch of Chemical Guys polish I wanna finish up. The V38 polish then the other two products.

I don't think it's caked too badly. I was thing of spraying some quick detailed and using a wooden tooth pick to trace around. Pressing lightly being careful not to lift the film
Re: polish - if it's just to clean up some old product but you end up using a more aggressive polish, you'll end up with a second pass of less aggressive polish to clean up after the m105. Think of it as using 1000 grit sandpaper (105) and then 3000 grit (205) while it likely won't matter as much on the Xpel, it will on clear coat. Just to be safe (call it over cautious) and in a open forum, it's always best to start with the least agressvie.

Cleanup on edges- tooth pick will work, but like you said be careful not get under the film. I would come at perpendicularly rather than parallel so you're not risking that lift.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

I was using V36 with orange and yellow foam pads. Didn't seem to do enough.

So far(quick meal break) I'm liking the M105 and micro fiber pads. Broke my 3" buffer plate tho. I'm not pressing too hard as I learn the performance of this combo. A few lone scratches remain but way better. As I gain experience...next "spa day" I'll be more aggressive on these.

Also, the M105 takes some extra effort to buff off. Am I using too much and/or not working the stuff long enough?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:56 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

I was using V36 with orange and yellow foam pads. Didn't seem to do enough.

So far(quick meal break) I'm liking the M105 and micro fiber pads. Broke my 3" buffer plate tho. I'm not pressing too hard as I learn the performance of this combo. A few lone scratches remain but way better. As I gain experience...next "spa day" I'll be more aggressive on these.

Also, the M105 takes some extra effort to buff off. Am I using too much and/or not working the stuff long enough?
that's a timing and technique thing. Are you using a cross hatch pattern with multiple passes per application? (up & down, back and forth). Is the polish "flashing" (looks like its turning to Vaseline) after a point? It should still flash even on Xpel but after multiple passes you should see a difference. I had a pretty good scuff on my Camaro Clear bra and it took 3 -4 applications of 4-5 passes each application to make a difference.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

I do that kind of pattern. And I do see the M105 get that look, but I was stopping around that time. I'd give about 3 passes. Say, up down, left right, up down. I was just concerned about being too aggressive.

I was even more afraid of using it on the Xpel. The only thing I've done on Xpel is polishes with soft pads. You've used M105 on Xpel? I think I would use the orang foam on the PPF. The micro fiber pads would be too much I think
Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

I'm super pleased with the M105 plus the MF pads. Soooooouch better.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:02 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

I'm super pleased with the M105 plus the MF pads. Soooooouch better.
Excellent! Glad it's working out!

Get notified of new replies

To Your claybar and claymitt tips n tricks plz

Quick Reply: Your claybar and claymitt tips n tricks plz