Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:05 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Hey Grzldvt1, What's your go to for ceramic coating?
charley95, as much as I hate to sat "It Depends" on what you are looking for. There are literally hundreds of coating products out there and impossible me to try them all. Because of this one of my staff members is devoted to studying and working with the latest technology in coatings. One of my personal vehicles has 6 different coatings on it. We had to map the car to remember what we did.

At my shop I have a Zaino details at the low end for those on a budget. Absolutely my mainstay product and kicks butt over its competition.
But with all the "nano coatings" coming out, Zaino is getting left behind

[B]Gyeon Q2 MOHs[/B] Without question this is an incredible entry level coating product`for the non professional. Easy to apply and very forgiving and my first level budget nano coating.
I am slowly creeping more and more of the Gyeon line of products into my shop.

Kamikaze Miyabi which is barely above Gyeon, but does show/offer better durability from a water beading (hydrophobic) self cleaning property. Same as above easy to apply and very forgiving.

For longevity and ease of cleaning Ceramic Pro is awesome, but expensive as it is very labor intensive and takes some serious skill to put it on. Henceforth not for the hobbyist.
I have been trained and it still has me running and screaming though the parking lot, due to its difficulty to install. We have finally figured it out and are delivering cars that are perfect, but it was a struggle.
Having said that the cars coming back in with Ceramic Pro have simply been amazing. It is a simple rinse, bugs and bird crap just wipe off.
The others are close, but Ceramic Pro simply beats the competition.

The Cquartz non pro products are not bad, but seem to be falling behind Gyeon.
I have been trying to get into the CQuarts Pro products, but it seems to be a real struggle to get corporate to acknowledge us.
All of this is topped off by Angel Polish Cosmic Spritz to really kick up the shine.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:44 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks G! Appreciate ya taking the time to explain this. My friend does the Adam's ceramic and insists I coat my metallic black. I watched him do Adam's wheel ceramic on his wheels and not real enthused about using it yet. It appears it's like trying to wipe tape residue off with a dry microfiber and then you top it off with their ceramic boost spray. I guess I'll just wait till I'm in the mood to try it out since it's not like wax on wax off. I can usually get a year out of my traditional paint correction so I might give it a try next time. I would've never thought I'd own a black car but with all the advancement of product in the past several years I can make mine look pretty damn good.

You guys in the detail business earn every cent you make!
The following users liked this post:
Grzldvt1 (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 11:50 AM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Thanks G! ...
You guys in the detail business earn every cent you make!
Ditto! Great info! And I agree, the guys work hard for their money, I see the mobile units in our neighborhood frequently setting up their awnings to detail early to beat the Texas heat. Always fun to see real exotics come out of our neighbors garages. One Detailer joked that in a good week he will drive over a million dollars worth of cars a total distance of 100 feet!
Grzldvt1 (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 08:24 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

Adams products all the way!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
You're right, No lint/fiber or streaks on the glass.
After I tried them I bought more
Amazon Amazon

Tried them, liked them. Just ordered another package. They just glide over the glass and leave 0 lint on the glass.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 12-31-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Dif (01-04-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

I've been reading thru this thread, but not sure what are the best towels to used on the inside of the windshield? I keep getting that film buildup on the inside, any suggestions on what works the best?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:33 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS
I've been reading thru this thread, but not sure what are the best towels to used on the inside of the windshield? I keep getting that film buildup on the inside, any suggestions on what works the best?
Here is the common consensus of the best. I can vouch for them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8UQAOI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8UQAOI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc
This to makes it easier to wipe from the inside:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by joemessman; 02-08-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:59 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I purchased some microfiber towels specifically for the glass of my C5 from the Rag Company. They pick up streaks in the class very well. By contrast, I keep a 12 inch stack of Walmart/PepBoys/Harbor Freight microfiber towels. These are throwaways. When one gets used enough or stained, I simply put in the the engine/tire wipe down pile, and pull another one from the new cheap-O stack. The throwaways get used elsewhere.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:15 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

My detailer usually gives me a couple of their microfiber towels. Don't know who makes them, but they work fine. He also advised me on how to take care of them (see above, mild detergent, by themselves, low-or-no heat dry, get to slightly damp and fold.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:20 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
My detailer usually gives me a couple of their microfiber towels. Don't know who makes them, but they work fine. He also advised me on how to take care of them (see above, mild detergent, by themselves, low-or-no heat dry, get to slightly damp and fold.
Also, do not use dryer sheets in the dryer. I read that the chemical in dryer sheets are not good for the fibers in the towels.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:32 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I buy all of my towels from the Rag Company, and I have some I bought from Zaino as I am a Zaino user.

Maybe I missed it in all of this reading, but one thing NOT! to do when washing is use HOT! water, it can fuse the fibers together, and you end up with a quality towel that will scratch just like a cheap one.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:39 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
I buy all of my towels from the Rag Company, and I have some I bought from Zaino as I am a Zaino user.

Maybe I missed it in all of this reading, but one thing NOT! to do when washing is use HOT! water, it can fuse the fibers together, and you end up with a quality towel that will scratch just like a cheap one.
Wow! How high is your water heater turned up to?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:42 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by joemessman
Here is the common consensus of the best. I can vouch for them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8UQAOI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c
This to makes it easier to wipe from the inside:
https://www.amazon.com/Stoner-Reach-...T9D8BHWNH91897
Those are the best type of towel to use on glass, that is all I use. I use a rinseless wash sprayed on a wax applicator type pad, wipe that off with the glass towel, then dry wipe with another, the rinseless wash leaves a nice slick finish.

I also use one of these to clay my glass on the outside, but not in the sun.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/1...gKe2WEZqv6w.97
Old 02-17-2018, 01:01 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by owc6
Wow! How high is your water heater turned up to?
I did not check mine, but after I was informed of what not to do when at the Griots booth after purchasing the towel I will list below, I looked at some of my Mothers brand yellow towels old next to new & it was noticeable, and I always have followed proper washing practices except I always used hot water, I will see if I can shoot some pictures to show the difference.

I am also hooked on these for drying, I no longer use a waffle, they have the large one or the 2 smaller, I use the smaller ones.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...e=&from=Search
Old 02-17-2018, 01:15 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I also wonder what dryer temp and dryness you are using.

The dryer temps can reach much higher than water can, especially if you are over-drying them. Slightly under-dry them on a low temp, and then finish drying at room temp (either air-dry cycle or pull them out to dry). They will be much more absorbent that way.

I found the comment earlier about using dryer sheets to make perfect sense. I don't use them at all (or any fabric softeners), but it would make sense that some of the chemicals would still be stuck to the dryer drum just waiting to transfer themselves to the MF towels.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:55 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by owc6
I also wonder what dryer temp and dryness you are using.

The dryer temps can reach much higher than water can, especially if you are over-drying them. Slightly under-dry them on a low temp, and then finish drying at room temp (either air-dry cycle or pull them out to dry). They will be much more absorbent that way.

I found the comment earlier about using dryer sheets to make perfect sense. I don't use them at all (or any fabric softeners), but it would make sense that some of the chemicals would still be stuck to the dryer drum just waiting to transfer themselves to the MF towels.
No issues with the dryer, always use low setting, since I switched to Rag Company towels a few yrs ago I have used warm water & low dryer setting & towels look as good as when new, since their towels are better quality they are more absorbent, I also do not use any wax on my cars, only rinseless wash & quick detailers/gloss enhancers.

I am going to try an experiment & wipe down the inside of my dryer drum with some denatured alcohol & see what I get, just curious.

Quick Reply: Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?