Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

PSA: Carpro Cquartz Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default PSA: Carpro Cquartz Ceramic Coating

The following is a public service announcement concerning the ceramic coating known as cQuartz offered by Carpro automotive detailing products:

The little 50mL blue bottle that costs upwards of $50-$60/ea and containing the ceramic coating material is not plastic. It is, in fact, glass. Glass, when dropped from heights greater than 12" onto a concrete or asphalt surface, is likely to break. That is all.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM
JJAY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you speaking from experience ...
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Originally Posted by JJAY
Are you speaking from experience ...
Werd. Got 1/4 of the vette complete, and was pretty happy with how it turned out, only to bump the bottle I'd left on my rollaway stool with a MF towel. *crack* I must say it made the surface of my garage floor and a nearby cabinet shine like no other

Been a love, hate relationship w/ Carpro. Love the smell of their products...hate the price. Like the shine of the ceramic, but who in their right mind would put the product in glass when 99% of people are applying it over concrete. Love the reload, but wasn't impressed with the 3 ounce bottle that came w/ the ceramic coat 50mL for $80. If all you see is their 500mL bottles, you 'think' your getting a deal because when I ordered I didn't know they even made 100mL bottles. The eraser, iron x, and reset were all 500mL spray bottles.

I'm not gonna lie, I might throw on some eraser instead of cologne for date night. That sh#t smells amazing.

Anyways, eraser is about the only thing I'd consider ordering again from carpro...their products are just too expensive. Maybe reload too.

Decided against ordering another bottle of cquartz as a mini protest since the product states it's safe to use on plastic....so why no bottle it in plastic?! Instead, I figured it'd be fun to make a video comparing about 4 or 5 other ceramics that are all under $50/each.
The following users liked this post:
iTom (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 PM
iTom
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jdlev
The following is a public service announcement concerning the ceramic coating known as cQuartz offered by Carpro automotive detailing products:

The little 50mL blue bottle that costs upwards of $50-$60/ea and containing the ceramic coating material is not plastic. It is, in fact, glass. Glass, when dropped from heights greater than 12" onto a concrete or asphalt surface, is likely to break. That is al

I completed my cquartz application today and was also acutely aware that the $80 of liquid ceramic coating was in a glass bottle. Fortunately one of the videos I watched also strongly suggested to put the cap back on each time you put drops on you spreading pad. I think I tipped the bottle over at least 3 or 4 times. The cap saved the expensive liquid from coating my garage floor like yours. Sorry to hear about the breakage. Hope you can get back to finish the job. I was extremely happy with my results.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:20 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I think you guys can answer my question better than if I called a SunTek distributor. I just got my 3rd Corvette. I've self-detailed my other two with an oscillating buffer + Menzerma polishes, then Zaino polymer sealant. I've been off the Forum for several years but now am seeing some incredible results with PPF's like SunTek plus ceramics like CQuartz. I'm not that concerned about the protection part because I can touch up, color sand, and buff out any chips if necessary...but I want that awesome shine. Questions: (1) Is that shine from the ceramic and not really from the PPF, and (2) I know nothing about ceramic products.....having that experience with polish and Zaino, can I apply the ceramic myself or does it require some sort of special process (e.g., heat)?
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:09 PM
iTom
Instructor

Originally Posted by IAIA
I think you guys can answer my question better than if I called a SunTek distributor. I just got my 3rd Corvette. I've self-detailed my other two with an oscillating buffer + Menzerma polishes, then Zaino polymer sealant. I've been off the Forum for several years but now am seeing some incredible results with PPF's like SunTek plus ceramics like CQuartz. I'm not that concerned about the protection part because I can touch up, color sand, and buff out any chips if necessary...but I want that awesome shine. Questions: (1) Is that shine from the ceramic and not really from the PPF, and (2) I know nothing about ceramic products.....having that experience with polish and Zaino, can I apply the ceramic myself or does it require some sort of special process (e.g., heat)?
Thanks.
I applied cquartz by myself. There are several good Youtube demonstrations showing how to do it. Preparation of the vehicle was more work than putting on ceramic coating. I used clay bar on the car first, then polished with a dual action orbital hand held and finally wiped it down several times with a 50/50 water/alcohol solution so it was squeaky clean. Then a few more hours to apply and buff the cquartz. No special tools. Just some good suede microfiber towels and a lot of elbow grease. I'll do it again when this wears down.

Last edited by iTom; 03-09-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Although, product-centric, it's a n8ce overview of coatings and some of the process involved

Old 03-12-2018, 01:20 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Originally Posted by iTom
I completed my cquartz application today and was also acutely aware that the $80 of liquid ceramic coating was in a glass bottle. Fortunately one of the videos I watched also strongly suggested to put the cap back on each time you put drops on you spreading pad. I think I tipped the bottle over at least 3 or 4 times. The cap saved the expensive liquid from coating my garage floor like yours. Sorry to hear about the breakage. Hope you can get back to finish the job. I was extremely happy with my results.
Have to admit, that wet look the cquartz provides looks incredible when it's done. Does a pretty good sheeting water as well. I'm guessing you could do 2 corvettes w/ a single 50mL bottle? Sucks that $40 worth of product was wasted, but live and learn I guess.

Took advantage of the opportunity to pick up 5 other cheap to midrange ceramics to test. So far 2 have come in and the others will be in months end:

Gold Label - Wheel & Caliper...$19.99
Nano Bond Coating...$25.90
Xtreme Nano Spray Coating...$19.95
Yrd Tech Ceramic Coating...$7.74
MrFix9H Auto Ceramic Coating...$9.38

As is my style...already off to a bad start. Picked the Gold Label - Wheel & Caliper because it claimed - in the title no less - "Wheel and Caliper 5 Year Ceramic Coating". What do I see on the box as soon as I pull it out?

Box Side 1

Box Side 2

Bottle

LMAO! I tell ya, I sure can pick 'em. Oh well, we'll see how it turns out.
The following users liked this post:
iTom (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 PM
iTom
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdlev
Have to admit, that wet look the cquartz provides looks incredible when it's done. Does a pretty good sheeting water as well. I'm guessing you could do 2 corvettes w/ a single 50mL bottle? Sucks that $40 worth of product was wasted, but live and learn I guess.

Took advantage of the opportunity to pick up 5 other cheap to midrange ceramics to test. So far 2 have come in and the others will be in months end:

Gold Label - Wheel & Caliper...$19.99
Nano Bond Coating...$25.90
Xtreme Nano Spray Coating...$19.95
Yrd Tech Ceramic Coating...$7.74
MrFix9H Auto Ceramic Coating...$9.38

As is my style...already off to a bad start. Picked the Gold Label - Wheel & Caliper because it claimed - in the title no less - "Wheel and Caliper 5 Year Ceramic Coating". What do I see on the box as soon as I pull it out?

Box Side 1

Box Side 2

Bottle

LMAO! I tell ya, I sure can pick 'em. Oh well, we'll see how it turns out.
Anxious to hear about your results. I'd like to do my boat, but would definitely consider a less expensive product.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The chemical makeup of the ceramic coatings are very different from a silica sealant like Reload. The coatings are in glass bottles because they have to be. Reload can be in plastic, the coatings can not. I don't think I understand the point of the post? You're upset with CarPro because you broke your bottle?

CarPro products are actually pretty well priced considering how long they last and how little you need to use. If you're using up a 3oz bottle of Reload (100ml is probably the one you're referring to) in 1 or 2 uses you have used far too much. I can do a corvette or any car of that size 4-5 times with one of those bottles.

Get notified of new replies

To PSA: Carpro Cquartz Ceramic Coating

Quick Reply: PSA: Carpro Cquartz Ceramic Coating