Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Took the C7 in for a FaceLift... for the second time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Took the C7 in for a FaceLift... for the second time.

After I purchased my car I had it Ceramic coated, they were suppose to do a full paint correction and seal it up with the coating. I bought it used and admittedly did not have a perfect finish. When it was dropped off (late evening the prior day) I was told they would get on it in the morning and should be about one week. The next day they called (around 2pm) and said it was all done. I thought wow that was quick, but in hindsight was a big red flag. When I picked it up it was getting dark and was a cloudy sky, so not much light. Looked pretty good and I asked how it was done so quickly, they said that it was in such good shape it didn't really need much polishing. I didn't think much of it.

First time in the sun I noticed there are still spiderwebs. I've had it back to the shop twice to correct the flaws and still looks the same in the sun. So last week I took it to another shop for a second opinion. He was honest and said that the prep was not done (coating was applied but no way full paint correction was done). Here is where I'm confused, he said that I've also introduced webbing to the coating. I don't understand how I can be putting these micro scratches into the coating? I thought ceramic was harder and wasn't suppose to be as susceptible to scratching.

Swirls are bugging the chit out of me and he is going to get things sorted out. Not going to coat the car again as I don't see the point in a coating that is no better than the paint.

My wash process (with soft water):
  1. power wash the car
  2. foam cannon car (Chemical Guys PH Neutral Soap)
  3. ***See note below***
  4. single bucket with PH Neutral Soap and 12 Brand New Microfiber towels
  5. one towel from bucket per panel (towel never to return to bucket so water/soap can not be contaminated)
  6. rinse panels with power wash as you go
  7. wash wheels with remaining clean water/soap in bucket and wheel wooly
  8. warm water rinse with garden hose
  9. blow dry with leaf blower
  10. separate laundered micro fiber for each door jam, under hood and rear hatch to dry those area
  11. new micro fiber used to apply detail spray
***#3 should I power wash the foam off before I proceed? I know there's a coating on the car because the foam application doesn't stick, just rolls off which seems counter productive to the process of a foam cannon. Could this be where the NEW webbing is being introduced and if so shouldn't the coating prevent this?*** I should note that all the new towels in the clean water/soap (#4) never show signs of being dirty after washing a panel so I assumed the panels were clean from the power wash and foaming.

As I write this down and see it in black and white, I think #3 is where I'm messing up and introduced defect to the coating. Sometimes you just need to work it out in writing and you'll see the issue. I'm not retyping all the above, so what say you?

This detailer also mentioned that micro fiber is not as safe as they claim it to be and I shouldn't be using it for washing? Suggested synthetic wool? Anyway, should have it back by the end of the week and hopefully it will look as good as the pictures in my head
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

How much did the original shop charge for the coating and was there a warranty on their full paint correction.....?

After it gets coated it's too late.....
Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1
How much did the original shop charge for the coating and was there a warranty on their full paint correction.....?

After it gets coated it's too late.....
cost is irrelevant, warranty means jack if their standard is subpar. I’m not concerned about warranty with the initial company because this is obviously their best effort and any further attempts for them is not an option for me. I’m concerned that its right and willing to invest to achieve this goal.

Coating can be removed, but obviously is labor intensive and has a dollar amount attached to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Took the C7 in for a FaceLift... for the second time.

Quick Reply: Took the C7 in for a FaceLift... for the second time.