Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Paint protection on new car (white)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:07 AM
keepcalm
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint protection on new car (white)

Just picked the car up (2) days ago, has 23k on the odometer so I am sure the paint isn't horrible just yet. I have no idea what kind of protection is on the paint now, does not feel like any when I run my hand crossed it. Also plastic bag test confirms it could use a clay.

So here's the kicker, I live in the northeast and unfortunately for the time being I do not have access to a garage.I can not decide if I should just leave the paint alone until the season breaks temperatures warm, or if I should try to do at least something for the time being. Temperatures during the day are around high 30's to low 40's.

My initial thought was to give it a deep wash and clay it, and then use a Meguire's polymer quick spray wax on it weekly (with washings) after that to get me by. I do drive the car during the winter on the weekends when the roads are dry, so the car is not just sitting until the spring. It does get used.

So what would you do with this car, leave the paint alone till the spring or do something now, and if so what? <----that can be done in 35-45 degree temps

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:59 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Most coatings and sealers require a minimum application tempeture of 50 to 60 degrees, the warmer the better. I wold just go with your plan to wash, clay and use the detailer spray until things warm up. You can machine polish low temps but the sealers won't properly adhere to the surface in the colder weather. Another option is to find a space that is heated and then go with the full paint correction and detail.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:25 AM
0EricAvalonKing
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

50 degrees minimum is what I would agree on but in most cases for any sealant, the big question is how comfortable would you be working in 50 degrees? Just wax takes time to apply properly but since you would already be claying the car, why not do a polish as well at least a light polish, 1 or 2 passes...
Old 02-28-2019, 02:01 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

Your process is OK, but when it warms up go with a Ceramic, Kamikaze and Feynlabs are the best out there for a DIY and create an incredible shine and have the durability of a long term situation. I was a staunch Zaino fan for my detailing business and was incredibly successful with that product, but the Ceramics are just simply overwhelming the industry with much better products. To be blunt and I have been dealing with Ceramics for the last 5 years, it baffles me why anyone would do anything less. Having said that anything advertised on FB is total snake oil. When I was on FB I was literally banned from posting by every "Ceramic coating" company because of my questions.
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:25 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Having said that anything advertised on FB is total snake oil.
Every day there seems to be a new "polish/sealant/waterless wash" in a spray bottle that will magically make your car look amazing...for just $40 per 16oz. F11 Topcoat, Produxa, Hydrosilex, etc.
BudgetPlan1 (02-28-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 PM
VetteDoc311
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

I just ordered a blue stingray 2LT. 2019. I was wondering if PPF or ceramic coating was better? Which one is cheaper? Any recommendations?

It's my first corvette, so i'm a little unsure what is best.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:14 AM
0EricAvalonKing
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDoc311
I just ordered a blue stingray 2LT. 2019. I was wondering if PPF or ceramic coating was better? Which one is cheaper? Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Ceramic coating is cheaper, PPF offers better protection, ceramic coat over PPF is the best combo. My suggestion is professional PPF application then DIY ceramic coating over it as the best protection but still cost-effective option.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Have a new 2019 waiting to be delivered. I'm a DIY coating junkie but in this case, car is going right from dealer to shop for full application of STEK DynoShield PPF. The DynoShield kinda has it's own hydrophobic and self healing properties 'built in' to it so I'm not gonna coat it, rather just maintain with something like Kamikaze Overcoat or Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz.

PPF is *definitely* more expensive, around $4500-$7500 depending on what/where you have done; can also do partial application of PPF as well. We'll see how it goes...

Originally Posted by VetteDoc311

Thanks.
FYRARMS (03-11-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Paint protection on new car (white)

Quick Reply: Paint protection on new car (white)