Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing scratch by hand ....no polisher

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Removing scratch by hand ....no polisher

Has anyone had good luck removing clear coat scratches with a hand applied compound? I have a triple black 2006 convertible. I found a 2 foot long scratch on the top part of the rear bumper near the brake indicator (not the fiberglass trunk, the hard rubberized back portion running along the top just behind the trunk). I can see it in sunlight or with a florescent light. I cannot feel it with my fingernail. I have tried Meguiar's Ultimate compound = Fail. I have tried Meguiar's 20x scratch remover = Fail. I have tried Turtle Wax's scratch compound = Fail. I wrote to Meguiar and complained that their claim was false advertising. I did everything I could to make it work:

1. Washed the area with Dawn dish washing detergent to remove the wax.
2. Used a hairdryer to warm up and soften the clear coat.
3. Applied it with a clean foam wax applicator using medium to hard pressure.
4. Repeated steps 2 and 3 three times.

I KNOW that a polisher like a Porter Cable will work. But I don't have one. So anyone have any good results with some other product?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Nope. That Corvette clear is hard as diamonds to correct. I successfully removed verrrry mild surface swirls using Meg's Ultimate Compound, but had to use my PC and MF cutting pads. I switched to 3D HD Cut+ and it was easier. I would doubt you will be able to tackle that long scratch by hand. Heck, over the winter I simply brushed my fender with a cardboard box I was carrying, and it left some minor surface marring. I couldn't even get that out by hand. LOL

Also, I have never found Dawn to be any good at removing any of my wax or sealant applications. Too mild, and my waxes and sealants are too strong. When I want to remove anything, I use a dedicated stripping type product or an all-purpose cleaner.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Nope. That Corvette clear is hard as diamonds to correct. I successfully removed verrrry mild surface swirls using Meg's Ultimate Compound, but had to use my PC and MF cutting pads. I switched to 3D HD Cut+ and it was easier. I would doubt you will be able to tackle that long scratch by hand. Heck, over the winter I simply brushed my fender with a cardboard box I was carrying, and it left some minor surface marring. I couldn't even get that out by hand. LOL

Also, I have never found Dawn to be any good at removing any of my wax or sealant applications. Too mild, and my waxes and sealants are too strong. When I want to remove anything, I use a dedicated stripping type product or an all-purpose cleaner.

This seems like conflicting information. Soft enough for cardboard to scratch, but too hard to rub out. ????
Old 04-30-2019, 03:12 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aerovette
This seems like conflicting information. Soft enough for cardboard to scratch, but too hard to rub out. ????
Yep. That is the nature of these clear coats...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...sensitive.html
Old 04-30-2019, 04:55 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I agree the clear on your Corvette is pretty hard, you will need a machine.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:56 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I've only ever had success getting very minor ones out by hand across many vehicles I've owned.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Trebor
Drifting

OK thank you for the responses. It looks like I'll need a polisher. It still irks me that companies like Meguiars place labels on their products stating it can remove scratches.

Last edited by Trebor; 04-30-2019 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:54 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor
OK thank you for the responses. It looks like I'll need a polisher. It still irks me that companies like Meguiars place labels on their products stating it can remove scratches.
Well maybe if you’re Superman or the Flash!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:35 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

It still irks me that companies like Meguiars place labels on their products stating it can remove scratches.
Well, they can work by hand, but it just depends on how deep the defect is, what type of defect it is, and how soft the clear coat is. My daily driver is an Infiniti, and the clear is much softer than that of my Vette. I bought the Infiniti used with 50K miles on it, and the original owner apparently never took care of the car. There were swirls everywhere, and a few scratches.With the same Meg's Ultimate Compound that I used on the Vette, I was able to remove almost all the defects---but didn't have to use MF cutting pads. I just used medium foam pads. I was able to make fewer passes with the PC as well. I think I could have polished out many of the minor swirls by hand on that paint.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:37 AM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah on a C6, screw that. I've had to make 5-6 passes at least for light scratches on mine with a DA and a heavy cutting pad and compound.

Id personally just recommend the HF DA if you're just getting into it and want something affordable that works. It's like $60 then get a new backing plate and some decent pads.

Wait for a sale which is often: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-5...her-69924.html

Last edited by ssg10587; 05-01-2019 at 09:38 AM.
FYRARMS (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I have used Flitz by hand with great success on mine on some moderate scratches.
Trebor (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:42 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Well, they can work by hand, but it just depends on how deep the defect is, what type of defect it is, and how soft the clear coat is. My daily driver is an Infiniti, and the clear is much softer than that of my Vette. I bought the Infiniti used with 50K miles on it, and the original owner apparently never took care of the car. There were swirls everywhere, and a few scratches.With the same Meg's Ultimate Compound that I used on the Vette, I was able to remove almost all the defects---but didn't have to use MF cutting pads. I just used medium foam pads. I was able to make fewer passes with the PC as well. I think I could have polished out many of the minor swirls by hand on that paint.
They can, but either you need hands that move like Usain Bolt's feet or muscle like young Schwarzenegger for our clear coats.
FYRARMS (05-01-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Here is the response I received from Meguiar's:

"I suggest taking your vehicle to a professional detailer or body shop.
It is likely the transfer scuff must be sanded clean then the surface compounded and polished."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So DO NOT believe labels

Old 05-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS WON
I have used Flitz by hand with great success on mine on some moderate scratches.

Is this the polish you used?

https://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-liquid/
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Stackenali
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

This product might be worth looking into: Optimum Clear Coat Restorer
https://www.theragcompany.com/optimu...orer-ccr-9-oz/

Old 05-03-2019, 03:04 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Is this the polish you used?

https://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-liquid/
Yes very similiar. I would call up that company and ask them if that's the same one that I used which is primarily used on knives but when I read the instructions on the product you showed me it does the very same thing as the Flitz I use which is in a grey bottle.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 PM
bahamallama
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi

i’ve had good success with Quixx on several cars including the vette.

Quixx 00070-US Paint Scratch Remover Kit
https://amzn.to/2vEhAzO
Old 05-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Has anyone had good luck removing clear coat scratches with a hand applied compound? I have a triple black 2006 convertible. I found a 2 foot long scratch on the top part of the rear bumper near the brake indicator (not the fiberglass trunk, the hard rubberized back portion running along the top just behind the trunk). I can see it in sunlight or with a florescent light. I cannot feel it with my fingernail. I have tried Meguiar's Ultimate compound = Fail. I have tried Meguiar's 20x scratch remover = Fail. I have tried Turtle Wax's scratch compound = Fail. I wrote to Meguiar and complained that their claim was false advertising. I did everything I could to make it work:

1. Washed the area with Dawn dish washing detergent to remove the wax.
2. Used a hairdryer to warm up and soften the clear coat.
3. Applied it with a clean foam wax applicator using medium to hard pressure.
4. Repeated steps 2 and 3 three times.

I KNOW that a polisher like a Porter Cable will work. But I don't have one. So anyone have any good results with some other product?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob,

Greetings - I use Griot's Garage products...they have a complete line of polishers, waxes, pads, etc. A orbital polisher is a must have in everyone's garage...the small 3" polisher from Griot's is perfect for tight and small spaces. Good luck.

Semper Fi

Get notified of new replies

To Removing scratch by hand ....no polisher

Quick Reply: Removing scratch by hand ....no polisher