Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

C-5 Hits The Wall @ E-Town (2 Times)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red96Coupe
You may be correct... but IMHO if a driver has to depend on A/H to navigate the 1/4 (a straight run,) he should get a little more advice & experience..before going all out in a 12 sec car.
I totally agree. He could have spent $15 on my "Drag Racing 101" guide and have saved himself $15,000 in repairs

Don't know what it is, but after the resurfacing nearly every accident happens in the right lane. Last time there were two accidents within an hour of each other and both at the same mark.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I've seen five "wall incidents" involving C5s. Every one involved a driver who had turned off Active Handling.

It continues to amaze me how many folks run with everything turned off. No purpose served but ignorance and false pride.

Many threads asking about AH at the drags STILL draw replies saying all-off is faster. BS.

Ranger
I wish I had the option of leaving it on, 98's don't have it. I guess I just have to brave it.

There's some very good info in this thread.

It reminds me of something that happend to me at Atco last year, the week before that turbo mustang lost it and flipped. I was launching and my rear came out to the left, I got it straight again, let off the gas, and just cruised the rest of the track. As others here have mentioned, the pass is already blown once you lose traction, it makes no sense to stay in it. You're just endangering yourself, possibly the driver in the other lane, and you're just putting excess wear and tear on your car for nothing(except for your fragile ego).

Stay safe out there!
Old 05-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As others here have mentioned, the pass is already blown once you lose traction, it makes no sense to stay in it. You're just endangering yourself, possibly the driver in the other lane, and you're just putting excess wear and tear on your car for nothing(except for your fragile ego).

Stay safe out there! [/QUOTE]

Very good advice.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:19 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 879 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I've seen five "wall incidents" involving C5s. Every one involved a driver who had turned off Active Handling.

Ranger
Yea, but that means nothing....
A/H won't "straighten" a car thats 180 degrees sideways....

As far as Competitive Mode...., it should be OFF...
Torque Management system is STILL engaged in Competitive mode..

This has been long discussed & is a common known fact...

A/H may work, but at WOT at speed, its no "miracle" straightening device... You lose it & continue to stay in it, you're gonna spin out & possibly hit the wall..

Most guys get off it & dump the run once they spin at the line.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:05 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Yea, but that means nothing....
A/H won't "straighten" a car thats 180 degrees sideways....
I don't think anyone is saying that it will. Some help in avoiding that wall is better than no help. Some protection is better than none.

Your argument sounds like the same argument I have heard bikers use against wearing helmets.

As far as Competitive Mode...., it should be OFF...
Torque Management system is STILL engaged in Competitive mode..
This has been long discussed & is a common known fact...
Does not apply to me, nor a lot of others here since Torque Management is either reduced, if not outright eliminated, in PCM programming in probably most of the cars drag raced here. I run in Competitive mode. I haven't had T/M since I was running the Predator almost 2 years ago.

And for those weekenders on runflats who still have T/M.....better to leave the track in one piece running in Competitive Mode with T/M than to bust the wall trying to run in "Traction control off" mode without it.

A/H may work, but at WOT at speed, its no "miracle" straightening device... You lose it & continue to stay in it, you're gonna spin out & possibly hit the wall..

Most guys get off it & dump the run once they spin at the line.
I agree that A/H is not a cure all. But as I said before, I want all the help I can get. No matter how small.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:05 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Originally Posted by EB20003
Your argument sounds like the same argument I have heard bikers use against wearing helmets.
DUDE... DO NOT EVEN SUGGEST OR ASSOCIATE THAT ANALOGY WITH ME! YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT

And for those weekenders on runflats who still have T/M.....better to leave the track in one piece running in Competitive Mode with T/M than to bust the wall trying to run in "Traction control off" mode without it.
Sure didn't help the guy who smashed, did it...

I agree that A/H is not a cure all. But as I said before, I want all the help I can get.
You need it, because you certainly DON'T understand TM or A/H
Dude.. I 'm not gonna argue with you.. You seem to know it all...
BTW, how many races have you won?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You seem to know it all...
Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:45 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Nope, thats Ellis saying that EB guy doesn't know what he's talking about...

Everyone reading the thread can believe what or who they want..

But bank on this, EL KNOWS C5's.....
Old 05-30-2005, 11:47 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

I am with Rob on this.

I will not make any judgment on what might have happened. I am hearing he should have had traction control on, he should have had active handling on and he should have lifted, but none of know if he did not practice any of these measures. We don't know if he had some mechanical failure or some other problem in the car we have no clue about.

I am glad he was able to escape with apparently, no bodily injury.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:54 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Dude.. I 'm not gonna argue with you.. You seem to know it all...
BTW, how many races have you won?
A more pertinent question would be how many times I have crashed at the track. Zero.

I agree entirely with the poster who said:

I've always said that it is a good day at the track when I can go race and then drive away at the end of the day. If I make a personal best or go rounds in competition then that is a bonus! Kinda like gambling: you've got to know when to hold, and when to fold so that you can come back another day.
And yeah, I do "need" it. I think it was Ranger who said:

It continues to amaze me how many folks run with everything turned off. No purpose served but ignorance and false pride.
Sure didn't help the guy who smashed, did it...
I take it that you have had an opportunity to verify that he had it on???? The eyewitness account of Dr. Ron indicates that he may not have. You have facts to the contrary????

BTW since you are asking me how many races I have won, I will answer when you answer this one for me:

Do you make your living racing?

If not, then your opinion carries no more weight than any other.

Have a good 'un

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:17 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Well dude, I do race for a living so my opinion DOES carry MORE weight than yours...
Old 05-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Well dude, I do race for a living so my opinion DOES carry MORE weight than yours...

Full Name:
Ellis
City:
Phila
State:
PA
Your Zip Code:
HVAC Contractor

Year & Model:
2000 A4 Coupe
Color:
Pewter
Mods:
All the performance bolt ons + rims, sound, lighting
Old 05-30-2005, 12:20 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

If true then yes. Especially if you race C5s with and without active handling for a living. However:

Your profile says that you are an HVAC contractor.

Not a professional racer.

When did you turn pro and start to earn your living racing???

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Your profile says that you are an HVAC contractor.

Not a professional racer.

When did you turn pro and start to earn your living racing???

Old 05-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

A more pertinent question would be how many times I have crashed at the track. Zero.

I agree entirely with the poster who said:

And yeah, I do "need" it. I think it was Ranger who said:

I take it that you have had an opportunity to verify that he had it on???? The eyewitness account of Dr. Ron indicates that he may not have. You have facts to the contrary????

BTW since you are asking me how many races I have won, I will answer when you answer this one for me:

Do you make your living racing?

If not, then your opinion carries no more weight than any other.

Have a good 'un
I don't know the poor guy, nor was I in the car when he set himself up for that run, nor do I know his racing experience.
He did stage & launch like he knew what he was doing.

I'm not making ANY accusations against the driver what so ever. I think he has more then enough grief right now.

From what I witnessed, his car shifted into second & the rear slid to the right slightly. He tried to correct, but DID NOT lift!!!
That's when the rear came hard around to the left & he lost it. If I had to bet, I'd bet AH was off...

I thought there was something slick on the track because the very next car, a ricer, started to get loose in the same spot. However, Don ran right before he did w/o incident, & no one else the rest of the day had a problem. Only 1 or 2 of the HIGH HP cars may have got loose on the day.

AH has "assisted" me when I get a bit excited during daily driving a few times. I have driven "thru" TC before as well.....

Not doubting anyone's knowledge here, but I was unaware that the local races paid out enough to subsidize one's income..
Ron
Old 05-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

EB2003, drop it... you're getting out of hand.

As far as Active Handling goes, I think 99.9 % of the cars at every dragstrip in the world do NOT have that. Somehow, they manage. It's called a good driver. Speak with those NASCAR boys, they don't have any assists whatsoever. Comin out of a 180 degree corner sideways with a guy on your rear bumper at 180 mph at 7800 rpms and they still manage to save it. In my opinion, Active Handling may be an asset, but I find it hard to believe it'll stop your car from wrecking when something goes severely wrong.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron

Not doubting anyone's knowledge here, but I was unaware that the local races paid out enough to subsidize one's income..
Ron
Winner's of the Corvette Challenge get paid handsomely....in Monopoly money.

Get notified of new replies

To C-5 Hits The Wall @ E-Town (2 Times)

Old 05-30-2005, 04:43 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Originally Posted by MillerTime2
Speak with those NASCAR boys, they don't have any assists whatsoever. Comin out of a 180 degree corner sideways with a guy on your rear bumper at 180 mph at 7800 rpms and they still manage to save it.
Um, Harry, today is not a good day to use NASCAR as a reference after their record setting 22 yellows last night
Old 05-30-2005, 04:58 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MillerTime2
EB2003, drop it... you're getting out of hand.

As far as Active Handling goes, I think 99.9 % of the cars at every drag strip in the world do NOT have that. Somehow, they manage. It's called a good driver. Speak with those NASCAR boys, they don't have any assists whatsoever. Coming out of a 180 degree corner sideways with a guy on your rear bumper at 180 mph at 7800 rpms and they still manage to save it. In my opinion, Active Handling may be an asset, but I find it hard to believe it'll stop your car from wrecking when something goes severely wrong.

I'm in agreement here... even though I'm NOT a NASCAR fan and so not watch them.. .. ya gotta give em credit..

Also, I have a question or two... I do KNOW Pro Stock, & Comp Eliminator are not allowed A/H or TC etc... and those guys are managing to navigate the 1/4 in 6.xx sec. with just chassis set up and driver skill.

Me personally.. have driven an 8 sec car with NO A/H etc.. and just never tried to save a blown run. Even with my puny 12. sec Vette I do not try to run it out if I spin..there is nothing to win & a whole lot to lose...

I also watch F1 racing & sometimes see a little break smoke.. I'm assuming they do NOT have Anti Lock Breaks... If this is true why, those are supposed to be the most advanced race cars around..

Also Vipers, big block Camaro's, quick 8, super gas, etc.. all do not have A/H Comp mode, .....do you guys think many C5 owners are to inexperienced to race cars of that capability.. maybe they should work their way up to 11-12 sec cars.. like us Old Farts Did
Old 05-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red96Coupe
do you guys think many C5 owners are to inexperienced to race cars of that capability.. maybe they should work their way up to 11-12 sec cars.. like us Old Farts Did

Very true. I laught when I see guys new to racing post on forums "I went to the track for the first time with my Z06 and ran a 13.25. Which mods should I install to get me into 11s?"

Hardly anybody wants to work for the numbers any more. It's always "more power will get me better numbers." So, they don't learn to drive a stock Vette (which can be a handful as it is), they install power-adding mods, and get in over their heads. Next thing you know, somebody gets hurt. Makes no sense to me.

I thought I was a little stupid for going from a low-11 second car to a 9 second car but at least I recognized the huge jump, went to drag racing school to get more experience, and never try to be a hero out there.

Quick Reply: C-5 Hits The Wall @ E-Town (2 Times)