Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

C-5 Hits The Wall @ E-Town (2 Times)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 06:53 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, another interesting thread direction via the semi anonymous internet. I have a hard time believing that some of you guys would act or talk this way in person...but maybe I am giving too much credit?

In a more perfect world maybe we would hear the driver's version of the accident. Chances are good that driver will never be seen or heard from by any of us ever again - that is a painful financial loss as well as personal embarassment.

In todays performance world it is easier than ever to go really fast. In days gone past if you had a genuine 12 second ride you pretty much ruled the boulevard. An honest 12 second ride deserves far more respect than it seems to get these days. Currently I am astonished by the sheer number of 11, 10, and 9 second "street" cars. At the same time I have met more than a few guys that were long on checkbook and very short on actual racing experience. Sometimes this combo results in disaster like the C6 into the wall. I have a friend who is just wrapping up the installation of a GMPP 572 into his Chevelle - he has exactly zero racing experience. I did talk with him about what the driving experience will be like - time will tell how well he was listening.

Sitting in my garage is a 951 hp big block that will replace the 640 hp engine currently in my '65. Some of my buddies have razzed me about even bothering with the 640 hp engine. Somewhat to their disappointment I have explained that I want to get more seat time at the 640 hp level and sort out the chassis etc., THEN go big. I like big power - but it really does command a whole different level of respect on the driver's part.

Bottom line: have all the fun you can - but no Superman driving stunts please!

Thomas
Old 05-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Rocket
....Active handling will NOT save you instantly when you are sliding sideways after breaking the rear wheels loose going down the track....
Funny that you say that. AH saved me in exactly those conditions. At the track on a 1-2 shift executed amid some tranny fluid spilled by the car in front of me. I miss the wall by about 12 inches.

I ALWAYS run with AH on.

Ranger
Old 05-30-2005, 07:37 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Ranger, do not be too quick to attribute that solely to the AH. Don't get me wrong, I do think AH is a wonderful thing, just not the end all be all. You deserve some of the credit for the "save". The AH is an aid to be sure, but it cannot help if the driver makes the wrong counter manuever. Nothing can replace quick wits.

Despite all the suspension technology, Corvettes continue to be crashed at an appreciably higher than average rate.

Thomas
Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 PM
93aqua
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I've seen five "wall incidents" involving C5s. Every one involved a driver who had turned off Active Handling.

It continues to amaze me how many folks run with everything turned off. No purpose served but ignorance and false pride.

Many threads asking about AH at the drags STILL draw replies saying all-off is faster. BS.

Ranger
I average 13.1 to 13.5 since I started with the C5 last year. Last Challenge I ran with the AH off for the first time and ran in the 12's with street tires.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MillerTime2
EB2003, drop it... you're getting out of hand.

As far as Active Handling goes, I think 99.9 % of the cars at every dragstrip in the world do NOT have that. Somehow, they manage. It's called a good driver. Speak with those NASCAR boys, they don't have any assists whatsoever. Comin out of a 180 degree corner sideways with a guy on your rear bumper at 180 mph at 7800 rpms and they still manage to save it. In my opinion, Active Handling may be an asset, but I find it hard to believe it'll stop your car from wrecking when something goes severely wrong.

No one said that A/H was a cure all, just an aid.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_Z06
Very true. I laught when I see guys new to racing post on forums "I went to the track for the first time with my Z06 and ran a 13.25.
I ran a 13.0 my 1st time out.

Hardly anybody wants to work for the numbers any more.
I worked for my #'s. All I did was an air box & a tune still to date.

I never try to be a hero out there.
That's not what I heard Paul, but you're my hero....NOT!
Ron
Old 05-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Rocket
Ranger, do not be too quick to attribute that solely to the AH. Don't get me wrong, I do think AH is a wonderful thing, just not the end all be all. You deserve some of the credit for the "save". The AH is an aid to be sure, but it cannot help if the driver makes the wrong counter manuever. Nothing can replace quick wits.

Thomas
The AH will have kicked in WAY before the driver can make an adjustment. The computer will detect & make a correction in milliseconds!!! I know I have a hard time red lighting after reacting to the last amber & that is with the .5 second delay!!
As Ranger, I too ALWAYS run w/ AH on.
Ron
Old 05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

I really was going to stay out of this but any of you guys that think they need A/h or T/C to race.Best bet stay the fu@KOFF THE TRACK...
This tread is really a joke to any one that is some what a drag racer.... If You have a problem dont run your car once a year to see what it runs and spend your time waxing(best bet)..
Old 05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by INSANITY
I really was going to stay out of this but any of you guys that think they need A/h or T/C to race.Best bet stay the fu@KOFF THE TRACK...
This tread is really a joke to any one that is some what a drag racer.... If You have a problem dont run your car once a year to see what it runs and spend your time waxing(best bet)..

Risk for risk's sake. Great concept. You don't need any of this electronic crap. You are a real man.

Only a moron jumper refrains from wearing a reserve parachute. That's what AH is. If the unexpected happens, it will help you save your car.

So any of us that run with AH are "waxers" huh?

Ranger
Old 05-30-2005, 10:46 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
The AH will have kicked in WAY before the driver can make an adjustment. The computer will detect & make a correction in milliseconds!!! I know I have a hard time red lighting after reacting to the last amber & that is with the .5 second delay!!
As Ranger, I too ALWAYS run w/ AH on.
Ron

A/H kicks in way before the driver can react. I would not even consider making a pass without it. I'd just as soon leave my seatbelt off.

While neither can save you if you make big enough error, every little bit is a help.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech...ehandling.html

The first scenario applies in this description. The usual manuever when someone is about to lose it on the track due to a wet spot, etc is a quick left or right turn in an attempt to correct. Similar to the "avoiding the pothole" example given in the GM information here.

Everyone says come off the accelerator immediately and I agree. But if you are a fraction of a second too slow in coming off the gas pedal, then A/H may offer a bit of saving grace and keep you out of the wall.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:49 PM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

We are not talking about jumping out of planes And if I was I would use a reserve chute.99% of the cars on the track dont worry about this sh*t....If you think it is only because Im a real man I will post this tread on a Real drag racing forum and lets see how many REAL MEN agree with this BABY BULL SH*t...........I dont think your wrong for being scared of running your c5 on the qtr with out all your RESERVE CHUTES but this is just the way must of us know the GAME.....NO hard feelings
Old 05-30-2005, 11:44 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by INSANITY
We are not talking about jumping out of planes And if I was I would use a reserve chute.99% of the cars on the track dont worry about this sh*t....If you think it is only because Im a real man I will post this tread on a Real drag racing forum and lets see how many REAL MEN agree with this BABY BULL SH*t...........I dont think your wrong for being scared of running your c5 on the qtr with out all your RESERVE CHUTES but this is just the way must of us know the GAME.....NO hard feelings
Hey "KID" I'm gettin old.. I decided I needed TC, A/H Comp Mode, Slid Protect, Light Lazar (to cut good lights) Trans Break.. ABS, Butt wiper .. in case I spin I do not want brown skid marks on my BVDs.

I also want a delay box... I want a rotation counter so I know EXACTLY where the finish line is..

I want the wall removed from E Town & Styrofoam put up so if I completely go outta control, it will be like hitting a feather pillow.

I also want to be able to run 5.xx & drive it home in traffic... The AC must work as well as the CD.. ans AM/FM .. I'd like SERIOUS radio, & maybe a plasma TV...

Yes... yes..I know there are a lot of letters, but in this space age ya gotta have TC, A/H, Comp Mode. ABS, AM, FM, and most important BULLSHIP....and a high pair of hip boots...its getting deep...

Next time out I'll run skinnies on the rear.. and see if i can tag the new foam walls....

In this thread I've heard a bunch of fast car were OK. then the C5 hits the wall ...hmmmmmm ok tranny fluid, how do u know were you on the track checking it.. 1 other fast car has a twitch & made his run ok.. & no more prob during the day....

Bottom line I blame the driver !! If he don't have the scruples to let off when he spinning shame on him.. the GOOD news either he wont run again, OR he will LEARN how to run CORRECTLY!

Yea maybe I am coming across like a hard arss but some people think when God gave out Brains, they thought he said Trains, & said no thanks I don't want any

If ya really want to see a circus, go to theIMPORT NATIONALS they hit the walls or blow a motor every 4 to 5 runs...Its like the great oil rush in Texas years ago... oil, oil, everywhere.. except in the motors..

I'm done...

Last edited by Red96Coupe; 05-30-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:03 AM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

How about this for safety on your high powered street car at the dragstrip - DON'T use run craps or similar tires, use REAL drag tires. Now I guarantee that if your E.T. Streets seriously break loose at the shift - then you are making sufficient power to make all your AH moot. In a 13 second car if you cannot react and "need" AH to do it for you, well...

I would side with Insanity. Although I appreciate AH, I don't know what to say about people who cannot grasp the very simple concept of "lifting off the accelerator" when wheel spin is encountered down the track. I started drag racing with bias ply street tires - which never really hooked up with your average big block. It did however help me to learn some finesse in regards to unwanted wheel spin.

I still wonder if the particulars of this C6 wall tagging incident will ever be known.

Thomas
Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red96Coupe

I'm done...
C'mon John. Don't quit now, you're on a roll.

Last edited by Korreck; 05-31-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I ran a 13.0 my 1st time out.

I worked for my #'s. All I did was an air box & a tune still to date.

That's not what I heard Paul, but you're my hero....NOT!
Ron
I think you misunderstood my post. Your approach was just like my approach; I cut crappy times in the beginning but worked for better numbers by learning to drive, not adding more power. My point is that I'm noticing more and more guys would rather get more power to run the number than learn to drive a car that's capable of 11s in dtock form.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Not to get back to the original subject of the Red C5 hitting the wall, but Sunday I saw a destroyed Red C5 (front and back) on Shrewsbury Avenue in Red Bank while I was heading out towards Long Branch. I wonder if this was the same car.

Maybe I will take a ride over tonight and see if it is still there. I will see if I can get some answers to what happen on Saturday morning.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:33 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I think you misunderstood my post. Your approach was just like my approach; I cut crappy times in the beginning but worked for better numbers by learning to drive, not adding more power. My point is that I'm noticing more and more guys would rather get more power to run the number than learn to drive a car that's capable of 11s in dtock form.
Ed Mowton and Myself were talking about this. Both of us have not added any more HP to the car (excluding what we already had prior to the track) so that we can learn how to drive the cars better. By listening and watching I have gone from a best of 13.3 to a best of 12.66 without any HP Changes to the car. This I feel is from learning how to drive better by spending time at the track. Having the open track day and getting in a ton of runs really help me feel the car and many times I just got out of it because something did not feel right. This experienced rolled over to the last CC when I made a mistake and just let up on the gas and shifted into 4th instead of trying to hit 3rd again.

I am now adding LT headers to my car and then in the fall a new cam. I could add it all right now, but I feel that I need to take smaller steps so that I don't end up a statistic.

Overall I believe that everyone here agrees that experience is the only way to become a better driver and to know what to do when a situation comes up.

Get notified of new replies

To C-5 Hits The Wall @ E-Town (2 Times)

Old 05-31-2005, 12:28 PM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Default ah

IMO you if you cant control your car by yourself, there some other issues to address. Either you should not be racing or your car needs to be upgraded to handle those conditions, suspension,traction, etc.etc. A/H is a crutch, Not a race tool.

Either way, I'm glad this guy is ok.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cyclerage23
IMO you if you cant control your car by yourself, there some other issues to address. Either you should not be racing or your car needs to be upgraded to handle those conditions, suspension,traction, etc.etc. A/H is a crutch, Not a race tool.

Either way, I'm glad this guy is ok.
I have two comments.

1. AH is technology. We all benefit.

2. A lot of these posts have turned into a pizzing contest. We have to agree to dis-agree. Differences of opinion are expected on a forum and there really is no right or wrong. The Green Rocket and I disagree on another thread concerning traction. Should we start calling each other names and throw a tantrum? What would that prove? And he knows I'm right.

And that's my opinion.

Last edited by Korreck; 05-31-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Part of exhibiting a professional attitude in any sport or business activity is to NOT turn a blind eye to safety. Bad things happen to good people, including smart, experienced Corvette racers.

It is really silly advice to tell folks to turn off active handling at the drag strip. It won't make them go faster. It just makes them absorb risk with NO pay-off. And in any sport, that is just plain dumb. And advice to turn-it-off is irresponsible.

None of the five C5 drivers I've watched hit the wall has said, "From now on, I'm still not going to run that candy-as$ active handling." Quite the contrary.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 05-31-2005 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: C-5 Hits The Wall @ E-Town (2 Times)