Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Omg.... Leo killed last night

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:15 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Terrible news

I was just there on Thursday speaking with him after he finished a cage for us, and we had hashed out some old bs, we have all lost a great asset to the Corvette community.

Our condolenses from the entire ECS crew to Leo's family and friends.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
sixspdvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this, God this is a sad day for all of us.. Prayers go out to his Family. He will be missed by all..

Ernie
Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Major Spray
Drifting

This has been a rough. For all of you that truly know Leo. You know the man always spoke his mind, he was real, he held nothing back.(not always politically correct but genuine). I first met Leo back when I and Paul Z were battling back and forth as the two top dogs in the C5 world. Leo had just completed the solid axle conversion on Paul’s car and I was snooping around. Well I and Leo exchange some wise *** comments and Paul diffused the situation with his hummer. Well it wasn’t long before I got to know the guy that would do anything for his customers/friends. He always has your back and best interest in mind. His talent for custom fabrication and chassis tuning is second to none. Many people have sat in my car including Leo and asked how the f@ck do you drive this thing, you can’t see. I just tell them how it is, you don’t need to see much when you have Leo tuning your chassis you just need to trust the man as I did. He was a man that you can count on, a man that you could go have a drink with and just shoot the ****, a man that put his daughter on a pedestal his pride and joy. This was a huge lost he will be missed. I have had many talks with my friends and crew and as we all talk about this man his hummer always seems to surface with comments like to much hook Leo as I nearly put my car on the roof or the great times we always have at the many events we have gone to as a group. I am grateful that Leo was able get his stuff together for The Shake Down as I know the side line was not where he wanted to be. He was a competitor and always wants to be in control.

I understand that a college fund will be created for his daughter in the near future his family has requested that no flowers be sent. Contributions to this fund would be greatly appreciated. I will forward the info as I get it.

RIP my friend
You will not be forgotten
Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
hookedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RIP Leo....you will be missed
Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Terrible news

I was just there on Thursday speaking with him after he finished a cage for us, and we had hashed out some old bs, we have all lost a great asset to the Corvette community.

Our condolenses from the entire ECS crew to Leo's family and friends.

Sad, sad day for drag racing and the corvette community. What a shame.....i'll miss ya brotha My prayers go out to the family
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just found out about this over in the C4 folders... my deepest condolences and prayers for Leo's family and friends.

Truly a great loss
Old 10-20-2008, 03:23 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NL Racecraft
Thanks Big Mike for letting me make a lap in your car.... I am impressed with it's power and setup....great job to all those involved with your project..... it felt great to make a lap since I have been out of the drivers seat for a while.......

p.s. it ran 9.68@141 in drive.... with a 1.47 60' time ..leaving with little boost and running very little overall boost...all this on pump gas......incredible...

thanks again...
I just wanted to bring this post back up as my own tribute to Leo , it really meant a lot to me that night he hung out with me at the track and made a pass in my car , I'll always remember the smile on his face when he came back to the lanes . It was a fun night , it started off with Leo coming up to me all pissed off because some guys yelled at his wife in the parking lot and she was all upset , Leo asked me if I could back him up while he went looking for these guys , of course I said yes , I'll always back up my friends . We walked around for about 30 minutes looking for these guys , it's probably good we didn't find them , finally we just gave up , Leo was all stressed , I said why don't you take your mind off it and make a pass in my car to help me figure out what's up with the t-brake , it was the first time since he had the accident with the C4 that he strapped in to a car , when he came back to the lanes he was grinning from ear to ear , I'll always remember that smile on your face Leo .

Leo shared a lot of knowledge with me when we worked together on the 4L80E conversion , I spent a lot of time with him on the phone and at his shop over those few months , we got to know each other pretty well . He was a stand up guy and a true friend to me . I will miss you Leo . Rest in peace my friend .

Last edited by STEALTH 99 C5; 10-20-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad news. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 PM
1320direct
Advanced

I saw this posted and could not believe it.

So sorry to hear.

Last edited by 1320direct; 10-22-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 PM
supercoupe01
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1320direct
I saw this posted and could not believe it.

So sorry to hear.

Alan (asmokegars)
My condolences to his family.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I just heard the news this morning when I was delivering packages to DHL. The mechanic there knew Leo and told me about it.
I don't even know what to say.

He will be missed.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
HRTBRCR
Drifting

My condolonces for his family and friends...he definately sounds like he was one of the good guys!!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
JOE VALLA
1st Gear

I met Leo about 4 years ago threw my brother angelo and friend paul m. Leo and I became friends and instantly felt like we knew each other for years. The news is devistating and i just cant stop thinking about all the great times we had.The more i think about it, the more i come to realize that Leo would make light of the situation and would want us to remember him as the greatest racing car builder,friend ,husband and most of all dad. The way we can keep Leo in our memories is to keep racing hard and have fun doing it. We feel blessed to have had the chance to meet and get to know Leo. He was a great guy and will be missed. His memory will always have a special place in our hearts. Regards, Joe V. and family
Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

I'm very saddened to hear this. I have never met anyone who had a bad thing to say about him. There's no doubt that he was a great family man and a tremendous part of the drag racing community. My condolences go out to his family.

Last edited by Harry7239; 10-20-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Spray
Well I and Leo exchange some wise *** comments and Paul diffused the situation with his hummer.
Ummmmm........ I seriously don't recall giving anyone a hummer (truck or otherwise) but I'm glad you and Leo worked together on your car because your Vette is now a part of Leo that's still around and hopefully will remain around for a long time.

Leo was one of the most generous and helpful people I've ever met. I could write volumes about him and still wouldn't do him any justice. You just had to KNOW him to realize what a great person he was. He bent over backwards for everyone and he truly loved what he did for a living. I was pretty upset when he was almost forced to leave his business because he was struggling so badly and now he's really gone. I've never been hit this hard by someone's passing.

Get notified of new replies

To Omg.... Leo killed last night

Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 AM
j-stingray
Instructor

RIP LEO
Our sincere condolences to his family and friends from us racers here in the netherlands
Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 AM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I read about the crash in an online news article , and it's very disturbing , the article doesn't make sense to me . It's so disturbing to me I didn't want to post it here . I hope there's more to the story than I read .
Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 AM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Leo. God bless you Im so sorry.

Quick Reply: Omg.... Leo killed last night