Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

newb help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 PM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newb help needed

Newb here, just looking to see what I am doing wrong.

Here is the set up:

2002 z
Motor is stock, has full exhaust an intake and a dyno tune.
7+ year old tires that are about dead
not warming the tires up
launching at about 4K
Tire spin really bad in 1st and at each gear change - some time no traction at all till 3rd winds out to 60-70
Never launched a RWD car before

The results:

Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

*First: replace the tires before you wreck your car.
*If you are spinning, tires need to be replaced and or tire pressure not at the correct PSI.
*Are you using street tires or drag radials?
*I would not race the car until you put a set of drag radials on it.
Then set the tire pressure at 19.5 psi.
*Do you have a line lock to heat the tires up before a run?
If not, get one if you plan on racing more often.
*You will need to learn a technique to launch the car because the car will hook. I don't think you can just dump the clutch and go. I am sure the manual guys will chime in with tips.
Then there will be shift points, launch rpm's, will you granny shift or power shift it.
Track conditions play a huge part in making a good/great pass.

Good luck, the people in the drag racing area will give you the best advise. People race there Vette's and not show them. My point is that the guy's and gals in here have many years experience to guide you in the correct direction.

Good Luck
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

Originally Posted by 98NYFINESTVETTE
*First: replace the tires before you wreck your car.
*If you are spinning, tires need to be replaced and or tire pressure not at the correct PSI.
*Are you using street tires or drag radials?
*I would not race the car until you put a set of drag radials on it.
Then set the tire pressure at 19.5 psi.
*Do you have a line lock to heat the tires up before a run?
If not, get one if you plan on racing more often.
*You will need to learn a technique to launch the car because the car will hook. I don't think you can just dump the clutch and go. I am sure the manual guys will chime in with tips.
Then there will be shift points, launch rpm's, will you granny shift or power shift it.
Track conditions play a huge part in making a good/great pass.

Good luck, the people in the drag racing area will give you the best advise. People race there Vette's and not show them. My point is that the guy's and gals in here have many years experience to guide you in the correct direction.

Good Luck
Thanks for the help,

I have a new set of tires in the garage, just waiting for me to install them

They are stock (Goodyear Eagle F1 SC (Supercar))

Drag Radials are something to consider, but I am not sure I want to invest in a pair of wheels and the tires them selves, this is my daily driver till the snow comes.

No line locks but I would not be opposed to installing some if they are not too expensive/hassle.

I am dumping the clutch, and not sure what shifting style but I would guess power.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,046 Posts

With street tires (especally 7 year old ones) you can't dump the clutch at 4k and floor the gas. You'll probably want to leave at 2800-3000 slightly slipping the clutch and gently applying gas until the car hooks. I had a 2002Z also and I was able to run high 11's with street tires. Takes a lot of practice.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 468 Likes on 353 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I see you're in York. One of the best three pedal corvette drivers out there is from your next of the woods. Perhaps he'll chime in.

As mentioned before, high 11s are possible with street tires. It take a lot of practice. Proper tire pressure. 20-25 psi.

Proper release of the clutch. don't dump it. Start about 3000 rpm. Release the clutch slowly until it just starts to grab. Then release a bit quicker and apply the throttle at the same time.

Practice
Practice
Practice.

Ranger has a great write up on the proper way to do it.

Www.rangeracceleration.com

Get notified of new replies

To newb help needed

Quick Reply: newb help needed