Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Turkey was Good.....Racing was Bad....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 309 Likes on 139 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Turkey was Good.....Racing was Bad....

After a nice Thanksgiving, I went to the two day Turkey Bash at Bradenton...$35 entry to win $1000 both days...weather was real nice Friday, about 73 with a light breeze...

My first time shot I go 7.15 but have a problem...my light...I swear I killed it and I see .043?...second trip I go 7.17 and thought my tree was decent but it was .068...ruh roh!...

They call first round and I line up with a Fox body...he dials 6.55 and I dial 7.17 but I need to find the tree...well, I rip it out all right...I go .023 red....I ran it out and went 7.18...I should be speeding up as the air is getting seriously colder but I am not...I know I am spinning some out of the hole so that may be the problem...

I take the walk of shame and buy back in...second round I get a duster dialed 6.03...I dial 7.18 and take my chances...obviously I am package racing since my car is moving around...I make sure I don't red light this time...I made sure all right...I have a .119 light and that is the end of that deal...sigh...I cannot figure out what is my problem with cutting a light...btw, I ran 7.160 with 4 whomps...sigh...

I run into a buddy later on and he notes that I have not raced BMP for a while and forgot the tree is much slower than other tracks due to the roll out...grrrrrrr....I forgot all about that...one other factor is I changed front skinnies from 25" to 26"...I wanted to slow the hit down a smidge since the 4:30 gears were moving me out a bit quick...

Saturday came with another gorgeous day in the mid 70's...at breakfast my friend mentioned bumping in and I agreed...on my first time shot I took one extra bump after fully staging...bingo!...got an .020 light...I was a little anxious on my second trip and went .014 red but I knew I just needed to be patient...due to bumping in I ran 7.234 and 7.228...

First round I catch another Fox body dialed 6.75 and I dial 7.22...I take off and he's chasing, both green...I see him charging hard but double whomp and lead him through by .004...turns out I avoided a break out by tightening the stripe..I went dead on 7 and my 330' said I was on a 7.218 pass...whew!...my tree was awful...an .068 to his .016...he ran off his number, thank goodness...my bump in was a bit short and I knew it...

Second round I race a nice satin black 66 Nova...chassis car, full tubs...he dials 6.70 and I dial down to a 7.21...air is getting cooler again...I get a good bump in this time...so good I go .014 red, again...sheesh...I run it out and, of course, go dead on 4...

I am racing Lakeland this coming weekend and I'll see how that tree treats me...we will open the diff this week and check the spacer bolts...hopefully they did not back out again...I am off to unhook the rig for now...
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I didn't do good at the citrus nationals on Saturday I went out in my first round no buybacks on Sunday couldn't get a reaction time to save my life went out in the first round they had buybacks on Sunday so I am back in again went out in the third round put a dial on my car the car ran opposite of my dial oh well that's racing.....
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
After a nice Thanksgiving, I went to the two day Turkey Bash at Bradenton...$35 entry to win $1000 both days...weather was real nice Friday, about 73 with a light breeze...

My first time shot I go 7.15 but have a problem...my light...I swear I killed it and I see .043?...second trip I go 7.17 and thought my tree was decent but it was .068...ruh roh!...

They call first round and I line up with a Fox body...he dials 6.55 and I dial 7.17 but I need to find the tree...well, I rip it out all right...I go .023 red....I ran it out and went 7.18...I should be speeding up as the air is getting seriously colder but I am not...I know I am spinning some out of the hole so that may be the problem...

I take the walk of shame and buy back in...second round I get a duster dialed 6.03...I dial 7.18 and take my chances...obviously I am package racing since my car is moving around...I make sure I don't red light this time...I made sure all right...I have a .119 light and that is the end of that deal...sigh...I cannot figure out what is my problem with cutting a light...btw, I ran 7.160 with 4 whomps...sigh...

I run into a buddy later on and he notes that I have not raced BMP for a while and forgot the tree is much slower than other tracks due to the roll out...grrrrrrr....I forgot all about that...one other factor is I changed front skinnies from 25" to 26"...I wanted to slow the hit down a smidge since the 4:30 gears were moving me out a bit quick...

Saturday came with another gorgeous day in the mid 70's...at breakfast my friend mentioned bumping in and I agreed...on my first time shot I took one extra bump after fully staging...bingo!...got an .020 light...I was a little anxious on my second trip and went .014 red but I knew I just needed to be patient...due to bumping in I ran 7.234 and 7.228...

First round I catch another Fox body dialed 6.75 and I dial 7.22...I take off and he's chasing, both green...I see him charging hard but double whomp and lead him through by .004...turns out I avoided a break out by tightening the stripe..I went dead on 7 and my 330' said I was on a 7.218 pass...whew!...my tree was awful...an .068 to his .016...he ran off his number, thank goodness...my bump in was a bit short and I knew it...

Second round I race a nice satin black 66 Nova...chassis car, full tubs...he dials 6.70 and I dial down to a 7.21...air is getting cooler again...I get a good bump in this time...so good I go .014 red, again...sheesh...I run it out and, of course, go dead on 4...

I am racing Lakeland this coming weekend and I'll see how that tree treats me...we will open the diff this week and check the spacer bolts...hopefully they did not back out again...I am off to unhook the rig for now...
Makes you want to throw a box in there and go top bulb racing
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by 99ZX9R
Makes you want to throw a box in there and go top bulb racing
Hmmmmmmm...lol...we pulled the cover off the dif this week and all the bolts held solid...fingers still crossed...

Sorry to hear that Rick...hope everyone had a nice turkey day, at least...
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Hmmmmmmm...lol...we pulled the cover off the dif this week and all the bolts held solid...fingers still crossed...

Sorry to hear that Rick...hope everyone had a nice turkey day, at least...
Rick -fuzzy
How are things? Looks like the camaro is running better TIMES. Hope u didnt hurt it. Funday sunday this weekend. I should be there.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by holley505
Rick -fuzzy
How are things? Looks like the camaro is running better TIMES. Hope u didnt hurt it. Funday sunday this weekend. I should be there.
I almost want to go Sunday for the last one under Carl...problem is I am racing Lakeland on Saturday...I will be at the race on the 14/15th at OSW...I am helping my buddy with his go fast Camaro...he should run 7.70's in the 1/4...red, silver and black 68...says Tom Strickland on the window...stop and say hey, Shawn....

Yeah, in the cool (60's) weather it has gone 7.08...we'll see this year as I went to 4:30 gears...

Get notified of new replies

To Turkey was Good.....Racing was Bad....

Quick Reply: Turkey was Good.....Racing was Bad....