Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

IHRA Summit SuperSeries Season Opener - Race #1 & 2 @ PBIR

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN
... I have watches some of the SSS here at my home track, have yet to see anything but a purpose built race car. But in all honesty, I wasn't overly impressed with their 1/8 times which is what got me thinking I might be able to be competitive.
You don't need a purpose built race car to bracket race. How fast you go doesn't matter. 96collector does extremely well racing basically a street car. I feel just as competitive (or not lol) running my dead stock Dodge with the exception of drag radials dialing 8.30 1/8 mile as the full race 'vette dialing 6.30. Bracket racing comes down to cutting a light and running your dial.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome! Will go and look over the rules tomorrow, and hit up my home track next weekend.
Maybe check with and See what your home track says about tech....
Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

still working the bugs out and getting a feel for how it wants to be launched, but I am consistent 7.1/7.2 in the 1/8 and consistent 11.1/11.2 in the 1/4 on motor. Haven't even sprayed it yet. I am quite certain that once I get the bugs worked out and get a feel for how it wants to be launched, I will be consistent mid 6s in the 1/8th and mid 10s in the 1/4 on motor.

On the bottle, high 5s/low 6s in the 1/8 and low - mid 9s on the bottle.

Going to look to even see if my car meets the rules. I have watches some of the SSS here at my home track, have yet to see anything but a purpose built race car. But in all honesty, I wasn't overly impressed with their 1/8 times which is what got me thinking I might be able to be competitive.
I found this information for Fayetteville Motorsports Park (assuming that is your home track)
it appears it hasn't been updated recently (still shows 2014 season starting 18 April 2014), but in most cases, the rules remain the same

http://www.fayettevillemotorsportspark.com/id26.html

as kazman, 96collector, and fuzzy mention, being consistent (both the car's E.T., and your R.T.), and having a good strategy are key ingredients to being a successful bracket racer, so the quicker/faster car doesn't always win:
96 & fuzz can confirm, as they race there most every event, but I believe a car running 8.30's (Jeremy Jaro-somebody?) won a No Box Class Championship at PBIR during the last few seasons
Old 12-06-2015, 07:37 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea, the website is pretty terrible.

My biggest handicap right now would be running a manual trans car against all autos lol. I need a lot of seat time still.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:02 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Get used to it. All racing websites suck. It's just the way it is.

As mentioned above. Cutting a light and running consistant is the key to winning rounds, but getting to the track is the key to having fun.

When I used to bracket race a stick car, I slowed myself down considerable. My car was a 10 second C5. I'd launch at 2500rpm. The car would fall on its face and then take off. I'd shift very slowly and methodically. I typically dialed high 11s to low 12s.

It's fun to run 12.0@120. No one expects that. I've won several rounds because my oponent thought I had an issue, and when I came around them, they couldn't keep up so taking the stripe was easy. Thats an advantage when driving a stick car.

Go practice. Go have fun. Report back.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
It's fun to run 12.0@120. No one expects that. I've won several rounds because my oponent thought I had an issue, and when I came around them, they couldn't keep up so taking the stripe was easy.
getting your MPH out-of-whack, compared to the usual E.T. for that speed, is a good strategy to employ ~ on a few occasions, I've seen it work well the opposite method (low MPH to respective E.T.), because the slower car gets to the 1200' mark quickly, then falls on it's face, while the quicker car, gaining rapidly and still accelerating but behind, has a driver thinking he'll never get to the stripe first, until he freight-trains the slower car and takes too much stripe

Quick Reply: IHRA Summit SuperSeries Season Opener - Race #1 & 2 @ PBIR