Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

'Chute Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:13 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Default 'Chute Question

I am currently in the planning stages of putting a 'chute on my C5 as I anticipate needing one this fall. I have read the NHRA manual, but it doesn't give me the answer I need. I currently have a Class 1 hitch on the 'vette, would I be able to pass tech if I had a custom parachute mount that goes into the hitch receiver?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Likely yes, but I don't know if you'd want the chute mounted that low on the back of the car. When it deploys, it could lift the rear of the car.

You'd probably be better off welding in a receiver behind the license plate and mounting it there. Get to the track, remove the plate, install the chute assembly, go race...
Old 06-06-2016, 11:21 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

As stated above that pull point will be way too low. Get rid of the hitch and do what I did...hell, you'll even save some weight in the process. I can post a pic or two if you want but I know you guys know what my setup is already. Mine is welded right to the metal cross structure which requires a 3/4 hole to be drilled into the bumper cover below the plate area. I like this as its a direct straight shot out, no rise, no fall and it leaves the plate intact and visible when my trailer ball is mounted on there. This will also give you the chance to make your trailer ball at the exact right height for your setup and towing needs.

- Travis

Last edited by trayack; 06-06-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Chute Question

Quick Reply: 'Chute Question