Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Understanding timing with DataMaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 12:17 PM
Carl90
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Understanding timing with DataMaster

Just started playing with my new DataMaster software. I suspect that the ECM is not fully advancing the timing to where it should. Timing is being advanced to no more than 29 degrees with the TPS % near 100, above 3600 RPM, and no retard. Not sure how the PROM was set up, but I would expect it be around 36 degrees of advance.

Is the total advance = reading for the datamaster advance field or
= initial advance at the distributer + the reading from the DataMaster advance field?

When the engine is at WOT, should the DataMaster report "Open Loop" operation, instead of the "Closed Loop" operation that I am seeing? I read that at WOT, the ECM is supposed to go "Open Loop".

Carl

90' 6 spd
3.45 rear
350 with hooker SC, random cat, Power Effect cat back, mini-ram, K&N, high output coil, underdrive pulleys, Accel 219 cam, AFR 190 heads (milled to 58cc), full rollers 1.5, 30# injectors, Taylor wires, Dynamod HEI module, Custom PROM by Shalin, BFG KD/TA tires (awesome).

Old 09-28-2001, 02:27 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

Default Re: Understanding timing with DataMaster (Carl90)

Carl,

First off, check your knock counts. That can keep your timing back a bit. Also, if you're using a stock ECM, do you know what bin you're using? If you do, I can load it up in TunerCat and see what the maximum advance is at that MAP, RPM, with PE taken into consideration. As far as the open loop thing, I've heard (I'm not too sure on this one) that when PE kicks in, it's kind of a psuedo-open loop. It basically ignores the O2 readings and goes straight from the tables. I've noticed the same thing in PE mode when logging with DataMaster.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:54 PM
Carl90
Racer

Default Re: Understanding timing with DataMaster (Mojo)

Mojo,

Shalin set up a PROM to work with my 30# injectors. He did WOT tuning on a dyno for me. I believe that the retard table entries were set to zero, which effectively disables the knock sensor from retarding advance. My knock counts are not going up at WOT, accordingly DataMaster does not indicate any advance retard. How much advance are you run at WOT above 3600 RPM?

Carl

Get notified of new replies

To Understanding timing with DataMaster

Quick Reply: Understanding timing with DataMaster