Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Barry Grant Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Barry Grant Problems....

I just installed a BG Mighty Demon 750 all manual secondaries on a track only car.

The install produced nothing but problems...

1) The float bowls overflowed resulting in the engine being flooded and requiring removal of all spark pulgs and crank to air-out...(this happened twice!).

2) After complete disassembly and inspection of the needle seat valve it happened again.

3) Attempting to adjust the floats with the set screws on the ends resulted in varying degrees of filling, overflowing, etc....until the rubber washers got torn apart.

4) Finally, after getting the engine started, the float bowls were beginning to take to adjustments.

The fuel pressure was initially at 9 PSI where a tech support person told me that it needed to be down to 6 - 7.5. After adjusting the fuel pressure things seemed to work better, but still a real PITA!!!

A buddy of mine who has installed many Holly's stated that he had never seen anything like this and never had this happen with a Holley...

I thought the BG carbs were simplified Holly's??? Are they as good as a Holley? Were the problems I was experiencing resulting from the fuel pressure?

Now I wish I just bought a Holly, but all the hype about the BG's led me to think they were better....

Any suggestions/advice...

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard; and ran, 7 lbs. max. You've probably just been blowing them off the seats.

Last edited by Curveit; 03-19-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

9 psi is too much, we run 6.5-7 on our race car. but for what its worth I wouldn't put a BG anything on my lawnmower, much less a race car

Get notified of new replies

To Barry Grant Problems....

Quick Reply: Barry Grant Problems....