Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Roller cam and the Thrust washer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Roller cam and the Thrust washer

IS the thrust washer necessary? Or can you run the timing gear on the block with just the .003-.005 clearance I have with the cam button? I have the ability to take the .030 off the gear as per instructions, I just wonder if it's needed?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes. All roller cams require some type of block retention otherwise the normal rotation of the cam would force it out of the block. Skip this and you'll have a short break-in period for your new engine with the emphasis on break.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
Yes. All roller cams require some type of block retention otherwise the normal rotation of the cam would force it out of the block. Skip this and you'll have a short break-in period for your new engine with the emphasis on break.
I installed the cam button to stop forward walk. I would like to know if the washer behind the timing gear between the face of the block is necessary? The instructions say to take the thickness of the thrust washer .030 off the back of the timing gear or the front of the block. I most likely will put the gear up and skim the .030 off of it and install this washer. I just wanted to know if it is really necessary.

Thanks

Gordon

Last edited by INMYBLOOD; 03-26-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

If the cam maker recommends installing the thrust washer along with the cam button to control the forward thrust of the roller cam, I'd do it. If the cam maker recommends either the thrust washer or the cam button to control the roller cam, I'd do the cam button along with an adjustable stop on the water pump to control the roller cam motion. Hope that helps answer your question. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Roller cam and the Thrust washer

Quick Reply: Roller cam and the Thrust washer