Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Crazy MAP readings...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 01:35 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Crazy MAP readings...HELP!!

Ok guys, I'm really close to getting the new motor dialed, BUT something is screwy in the MAP circuit. The thing is reading "50" at with the key in the "on" position. NOT while it's running...it goes really high then. Tried a new MAP, no diff. Is the IAC likely to require changes/re-adjustment, being that it was originally on the stock intake, now on a Superram?
Old 06-25-2002, 03:11 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Crazy MAP readings...HELP!! (h rocks)

To answer your second question, you need to reset that IAC to get the idle right, with all the mods you have done. Makes sure that TPS is set as well, and your timming will effect it too. I have spent a bit of time getting my IAC set to how I like it.

I dont know what that reading of 50 for the MAP is or what it should do/be, I will look into it though.

[Modified by bill mcdonald, 11:11 PM 6/24/2002]
Old 06-27-2002, 10:05 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Crazy MAP readings...HELP!! (bill mcdonald)

H Rocks, did you figure out the reading you are getting for the MAP yet?

I have my car ripped apart now, but I hooked up the MAP and powered it up, I got a voltage reading on my auto X ray of 4.XX something voltage.

Now I am confused to how you are getting this 50 reading?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:25 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Default Re: Crazy MAP readings...HELP!! (bill mcdonald)

Well, as usual there's always a reason that s*&% happens...I noticed that the MAT sensor was going from - 40* to +117*. Started to follow the relocated MAT wire to the orig. MAT connector. One of the two wires was "stretched" to the point of breakage. So, had to re-solder a wire and fired it up again. My suspicon o ajIt actually idled at like 750* if you wanted! Hard to believe considering that there really isnt a wealth of vacuum with the particular cam.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:40 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Got the MAT and MAP's working together. Bought the EASE software and got it loaded and took some cold and warm "idle" readings tonight. It would idle, albeit not great at ~750 rpm's, even with the wild (for a SR) cam. (233/240@ .050") Need to set the basics--IAC and base timing. I need to read up on setting the IAC, as I never had to do it before. I know that there used to be many threads on that a long time ago, but I think they might have been wiped out. So any short cuts are welcome.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:28 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Got the MAT and MAP's working together. Bought the EASE software and got it loaded and took some cold and warm "idle" readings tonight. It would idle, albeit not great at ~750 rpm's, even with the wild (for a SR) cam. (233/240@ .050") Need to set the basics--IAC and base timing. I need to read up on setting the IAC, as I never had to do it before. I know that there used to be many threads on that a long time ago, but I think they might have been wiped out. So any short cuts are welcome.
When you get lot of mods the "by the book" method of adjustment for the iac won't do it.
Scan it after warm at idle;then open/close the throttle blade adjustment until the iac reads about 20 to 30. Some folk end up with a little lower iac counts to make sure it'll hold your desired idle in drive and with the ac on.
That's about it! Of course then go back and adjust the tps where you want it.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:32 PM
h rocks
Safety Car

Default Re: Crazy MAP readings...HELP!! (drive it)

Would I use the same IAC values for a 6sp?
Old 07-03-2002, 02:31 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Would I use the same IAC values for a 6sp?
Yup, it'll work-main thing is to make sure that when the iac is fully open it can keep the idle up where you want it with the ac on and a full elec. load.

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy MAP readings...HELP!!

Quick Reply: Crazy MAP readings...HELP!!