Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

head casting number

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:52 AM
wmhar
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head casting number

I just bought a used Mark IV 454 to use in the restoration of my 67 vette. The block shows cast date of Jan 82 casting number 14015445 (car and truck). It's a two bolt. The heads are both showing cast date of Feb 82. The head casting number is 1X121287 on both. I can't find that head number on any list. Anyone have any idea on where they came from? The engine shows signs someone has been into it at some point and looks to be in great condition with no rebore.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-13-2015, 08:05 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

BBC heads with casting numbers ending in "7" are rare. My sources indicate only the aluminum rectangular port 14011077 and the aluminum racing rectangular port 10045427 heads had numbers ending in "7". If you have the heads off the engine, you could measure the intake and exhaust valves and post that info along with the casting material (cast iron or aluminum) along with the port type (rectangular or oval), and whether the combustion chambers are open or closed. Any castings marks would help, e.g., the snowflake for the Winters Foundry.

Since your head casting number are consistent on both heads, I think that you have an aftermarket head from someone like World Products and other manufacturer.

Hope this helps. If you do find out, please post the results.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:46 AM
wmhar
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are oval port heads and are cast iron. I haven't noticed any snowflake casting marks. I suspect they are aftermarket but searching for that casting number has not resulted in any hits. Thanks for the reply

Get notified of new replies

To head casting number

Quick Reply: head casting number