Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

C2 1967 427 Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:51 AM
r.milas
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 1967 427 Ignition Problems

My 1967 427 engine stopped without any symptoms (fortunately in front of my house) last September and was able to push car into my garage where it has sat for 4 month now. The engine turns over but there is no ignition whatsoever (not even a pop).

Since I am not much of a mechanic I would appreciate help with a diagnosis. The lights go on; the starter works; the gas pump is working; gas is flowing into the 4 barrel carb. But there is no spark at the plugs. I have a very dated Mallory ignition, points, primary coil, and condensor. The ignition system has not been updated in 40 years.

Is there a master fuse that may have blown; if so where do I find it?
Or do you think it may be something else (ie., coil, condensor??).
Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

you should really post this question in the C2 section.
Do you have a voltmeter, if not rent or buy one.
Using the voltmeter check the voltage at the positive terminal of the ignition coil with the ignition key in the run position, you should get almost 12 volts. Next check the voltage at the positive terminal while cranking should be at least 12 volts.
If you have 12 volts remove the distributor cap and rotor and look at the ignition points, do they look burnt? Bump the engine over with the key so that the points are fully open. You should have a gap of between .016 and .019. If you have a dwell meter you can use that to set the dwell to 30 degrees. Report back what you find.

Last edited by MelWff; 01-05-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 PM
r.milas
2nd Gear

Default C2 427 67 Vette Ignition Problem

Thanks for the help. Too cold to diagnose what you said to do. Will do when weather warms up.

Am new to this forum and don't understand how to use it well. Sorry, if this is a little late.

Originally Posted by r.milas
My 1967 427 engine stopped without any symptoms (fortunately in front of my house) last September and was able to push car into my garage where it has sat for 4 month now. The engine turns over but there is no ignition whatsoever (not even a pop).

Since I am not much of a mechanic I would appreciate help with a diagnosis. The lights go on; the starter works; the gas pump is working; gas is flowing into the 4 barrel carb. But there is no spark at the plugs. I have a very dated Mallory ignition, points, primary coil, and condensor. The ignition system has not been updated in 40 years.

Is there a master fuse that may have blown; if so where do I find it?
Or do you think it may be something else (ie., coil, condensor??).
Old 04-13-2016, 12:56 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

So did you find the problem?
Old 05-16-2021, 08:16 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r.milas
Thanks for the help. Too cold to diagnose what you said to do. Will do when weather warms up.

Am new to this forum and don't understand how to use it well. Sorry, if this is a little late.
Did you ever get this figured out? Sounds like exactly what I have going on right now.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 1967 427 Ignition Problems

Quick Reply: C2 1967 427 Ignition Problems