Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Car shaking when idle after cam installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:11 PM
nick5454
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car shaking when idle after cam installation

I have a 2011 grand sport.

I had a custom camshaft installed with a .660 lift. When idle the car shakes inside.

Is there anything I can do to stabilize the inside of the car, so when im at the light my wife isn't getting annoyed at the vibration?
Old 05-22-2016, 12:46 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

After you installed the custom cam, did you have the engine dyno'ed and computer tuned to take advantage of the new cam's characteristics? If your cam is too radical for the stock tune, that may be the reason you have such a rough idle.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 AM
nick5454
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
After you installed the custom cam, did you have the engine dyno'ed and computer tuned to take advantage of the new cam's characteristics? If your cam is too radical for the stock tune, that may be the reason you have such a rough idle.
True, to compensate I can rev the gas a little and it calms down. I had a tune after the cam install.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

have the tuner raise the idle some

Does the engine visibly shake bad itself ot youre just feeling a gentle rock to the car, tell her to quit whining
A rowdy cam, youre gonna feel something inside.

Which cam is it?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Tribaltalon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

more importantly, what is your lobe seperation? LSA and duration are the main factors that determine how "lumpy" your idle is going to be. I bet you're probably somewhere around a 110-112 LSA. My cam is a 114 and isn't super choppy but still rocks a little at idle. You can't do anything about the car rocking. Your wife is just going to have to get used to it, or quit riding in the corvette. I think the car would sound crappy with a bumped up idle.

Get notified of new replies

To Car shaking when idle after cam installation

Quick Reply: Car shaking when idle after cam installation