Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Drib
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do?

I could either buy a 2002-2006 Corvette coup for a decent price. Now my real question is should I buy a coup for less and just upgrade it myself to get up to Z06 grade or just spend a little extra on a Z06? I'm New to the whole corvette thing so really any help would be great.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If you want a Z06 buy one. You can mod a base to maybe excede a Z06 but it would not be one. It will likely cost more to mod a base than buy a Z06
Old 03-14-2017, 05:24 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you want to do with the car?

Both cars use the same short block and have the same displacement. The difference is the heads and cam.

I don't really think the Z06 offers you anything more over the base C5 if you plan to do all the big upgrades. There isn't anything to salvage from the upgrades on the Z06 vs base; at least for me there wasn't. I gutted and upgraded the entire braking system (MC, calipers, and lines), the suspension (upgrade coilovers, sway bars, and poly bushings), I replaced the shifter with an MGW short throw. I'm now looking to swap out the whole driveline with that from a C6 Grand Sport or a Z06 and put on custom exhaust.

Last edited by conradb; 03-14-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What should I do?

Quick Reply: What should I do?