Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Engine Head Defect and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM
natomas
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Head Defect and Replacement

I own a 1988 stock Corvette which recently developed an engine problem that first appeared to be a blown head gasket. However, the head gasket was found to be ok. One of the heads had developed a small hole - possibly resulting from a casting error . Discussions with other Corvette owners concluded that this was unusual. The Corvette has 62K miles and for the last 10 years used for weekend driving. The engine never over heated and was properly maintained with new coolant. Casting marks on the two heads were : 3097 and 7273: 0088113 and 608. Does anyone know of a similar occurrence?

Replacement heads were obtained from Summit Racing at Arlington Texas. The first set of supplied heads were Trick Flow TFS-30310005 which are not compatible with a Tuned Port engine: 4 center intake bolt holes align for Vortex Ram design. The second set of supplied heads were Blue Point MLL-HP8103 and are not compatible due to downward angle of spark plug holes resulting in the plugs against exhaust. Finally, third time a charm, Edelbrock EDL-60870 heads were supplied and were compatible. My comments to BBB of Akron, OH summarize Summit Racing miscues. Anyone have a problem getting correct/compatible parts from Summit Racing or other Corvette suppliers?

Old 07-07-2018, 06:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

could have been a replacement head for the 113. ZZ4 engines used the same thing....L98s almost all lose the head gasket between #7 , nature of the beast. A bypass line from rear to front would help solve the problem (not the heads fault)

There are a number of variants of Gen 1 sbc heads not hard to get it confused...which heads are drilled for what
If it were me Id have drilled your intake to work with the TFS but your edelbrocks will work fine.
Try to know more than the salesguy ( I know...) seems to be the way of the world these days.

Last edited by cv67; 09-02-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Head Defect and Replacement