Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Lets talk SB2.2

Old 12-18-2002, 07:09 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Lets talk SB2.2

What do I need to know if I consider using these heads? Do they require a special block? Would adaptors get my Hooker supercomp headers to work? Would I give up low end torque using these? Thanks :cheers:
Old 12-18-2002, 08:28 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lets talk SB2.2 (SmokedTires)

You'll need Jesel or T&D shaft rockers, custom pushrods, offset lifters, custom pistons, SB2.2 compatible intake manifold, and SB2.2 headers. The SB2.2 head has parallel ports so the middle two exhaust ports are not siamesed.

I looked into building an SBC2.2 engine when I was planning my SBC 427. I didn't think the performance differential between 18/15 degree heads made it worth it. Also, the 2.2 heads don't out perform the 18/15 degree heads until lift is in the .600's. Most street cams don't take advantage of that kind of flow curve. SBC2.2 cylinder heads and valvetrain will cost you around $2000 more than an 18/15 degree setup, based on what everything costs new.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:08 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at those SB2 engines too lately. They sure would look nice between the fenders of a C3! It seems like you can get a set of used SB2.2 heads, complete with shaft rockers, for around $3k. I would build my own headers, and modify the SB2 intake for EFI.

Monty, do you know if there are affordable roller lifters available for these, or do you need the megabuck Jesel lifters?

Check out this deal from a few days ago: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874733811

[Modified by Flareside, 12:27 PM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Lets talk SB2.2 (Flareside)

I would be careful about buying used SB2.2 parts for a street application. Most of the used parts you'll find are from Nascar teams, or other curcle track type racing, and the ports and manifolds have been ported out and are typically very large compared to what a typical street engine would run.

You'll need offset lifters and rockers. You can find lifters with the correct offset from Crower, Isky, as well as Jesel. You can also find them from Crane and COMP as well. You can also find the correct lifters from the same sources you will find the heads, manifolds and shaft rockers. I picked up a set of Jesel J2K lifters with all the upgrades for about 25% of the retail cost, and they were brand new, never installed. These would have cost about $2000 retail.

You guys are right though, it would be sweet in a C3. My concern, and the reason I didn't go that route is that the SB2.2 heads don't really start to shine until higher lifts, like .600"+. Compare the flow curves before you make a decision. Also, consider the impact on service and repair parts. You can't exactly walk into you local autoparts store and pickup a set of gaskets, etc for SBC2.2 stuff.

[Modified by Monty, 11:10 AM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:32 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Ok sounds like these may not be a good choice for the street then. You can get some pretty good deals on e-bay though for these.

The saga continues :) .
Old 12-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

I'm not trying to talk you out of them, like we both said, it would be cool in a C3. I've seen some SBC2.2 street engines, so they can obviously be made to work with the right overall combination. I'm just saying that you need to be aware of what you're getting into and what you need to consider as you plan the rest of your engine. The additional ci's of a large small block like the 427 you linked to would certainly tame those heads since they were designed and ported for a 350'ish ci engine operating in the 8000+ rpm range. It's the same thing as with my 18* heads. They have 255cc intake ports which would make a street oriented 350 very soggy on the bottom end, but put them on a 427 and they work awesome. 8000+rpm on a 350 might correlate to 6500 rpm on a 427, in terms of flow requirements,etc. CI's can really tame big heads and cams. I've saaid it many times, it's almost impossible to over cam and over head a big SBC like these.

I'd ask around and try to find someone who has or who has built a 2.2 motor for the street and learn/start from there. When I started planning my 427 and considered the 2.2 stuff, I talked tot he guys at Fast Times who have built and who have run 2.2 stuff on the street and they said it wasn't worth it. Mark Enwia, the NMCA/NSCA/NMRA racer works at Fast Times, and he had a 2.2 based 427 that he ran for awhile. BAsed on what his engine made on the dyno(800hp) compared to mine I coudn't see a huge difference in power when you considered the fact that he was running 114 octane, near 14:1 comrpession, and a .800" mech roller cam and alot of duration - vs my 11.3 comrpession, 93 octane, and at the time almost a .700" mech roller cam with 256/264 duration.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:29 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Lets talk SB2.2 (Monty)

Thanks Monty, I didn't think the lifters were so readily available.

I'm looking for a book on NASCAR engines, but as far as I can tell there aren't any. Have you guys ever seen one? I would like to know more about this 18 degree and SB2 stuff.

-Joe
Old 12-20-2002, 11:26 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

The only book I know of that claims to provide detaied info about Nascar engines was one I came across about a year ago on the internet. If I remember, it was around $100, and the author claimed to have been a former Crew Chief or something and he claimed that his book was a "tell all" and all the Winston Cup engine building/power secrets would be exposed. :rolleyes:

I don't remember the name of the book or the author though, you might try a search engine query for it, unless someone else can chime in with the details. I seem to remember some of us discussing it a while back and there seemed to be some doubts about the authors claims.

Here's some info on 18* heads:

Nomenclature: Dart 18o
Part Number: 14200000
Price: $3525.00, complete
Material: High-Density 355-T6 Aluminum
Combustion Chamber: 69.4cc, CNC Ported, Hand Blended
Intake Runner: 257cc, CNC Ported, Hand Blended
Intake Port Gasket: Fel Pro #1282, 1.250" x 2.150"
Exhaust Runner: 108cc, CNC Ported, Hand Blended
Exhaust Port Gasket: Fel Pro #1482
Head Gasket: Fel Pro #1014
Head Studs: ARP 234-4723, 12pt with Undercut Studs
Head Torque: 65-70 ft. lbs.
Heat Risers: No
Spark Pugs: Angled
Stud Girdle: Shaft-Mounted Rockers Required
Valve Centerline: 1.955" "Wide Guide" for 4.125"+ Bores
Valve Diameter: I: 2.180", +.600" long, E: 1.625", +.600" long
Valve Material: I: Titanium, E: Inconel
Valve Guides: Replaceeable Magnesium Bronze, 11/32" I.D.
Valve Springs: 1.650" Dual Springs
Valve Spring Material: Vasco
Valve Retainers/Locks: 10o, Titanium
Cylinder Head Notes:Compared to conventional 23o cylinder heads, 18o heads have radically raised intake runners, revised valve angles, relocated valve centerlines, smaller combustion chambers, and more efficient exhaust ports. These cylinder heads are the best choice for a maximum performance engine with in-line valves. The distance between the intake runner floor and the deck surface on these high-port heads is 1.220", compared to .650" on the low-port 18o degree heads, and .250" for a conventional Bow Tie aluminum head.

The valve centerlines are 1.955" apart to accomodate larger bores and reduce valve shrouding. The valve's location is as important as their angle. The intake and exhaust valves in 18o degree heads are positioned on the cylinder bore centerline. This change produces a substantial improvement in the total airflow potential. The valves in a conventional 23o SBC head are positioned .275" from the cylinder bore centerline. This location limits the engine's breathing ability because the valve heads are shrouded by the combustion chamber and cylinder walls as they approach maximum lift. Shifting the valves to the bore centerline reduces this shrouding.

The valves are also moved laterally in the 18o heads to enhance intake flow. The exhaust valves are shifted toward the cylinder walls to provide for larger intake valves. The intake valves are moved toward the center of the cylinder bores to unshroud the valves at high lift. The problems of valve shrouding and cylinder wall interference effectively limit conventional 23o heads to a maxuimum intake diameter of 2.100". The 18o degree heads can take advantage of the additional airflow offered by intake valves up to 2.200", depending on bore size.

The high-port intake runner flows more air at high valve lifts than the low-port design. The difference between the two ports becomes significant at valve lifts above .600". The high-port runner has a more direct line of sight path, which enhances ligh-lift flow. Both designs have excellent flow at low lifts due to their tall short-side radiuses and deep valve bowls.

The angle of the intake manifold flange was revised to accomodate the relocated intake runners. Conventional small-block heads are machined at a 10o angle on the manifold face, the 18o degree heads are machined at a 5o angle. The angle of the rocker cover rails was also changed from 17o to 9o.

The 18o degree head's reshaped and redesigned exhaust port yields an improvement in flow over conventional heads. The exhaust ports are raised .550" and widened .240" at the manifold flange. The port's high-side radius provides a smooth, gradual transition from the valve bowl to the header pipe, minimizing turbulence in the runner.

The angle of the exhaust manifold flange was changed from 35o degrees to 40o degrees on 18o degree heads. This revision smoothes the flow of burned gases at the junction between the ports and the primary header pipes.

18o degree cylinder heads feature small, efficient combustion chambers. Chnaging the valve angle was essential in creating a shallow combustion chamber. Reducing the valve angle in a wedge-type cylinder head forces the incoming air/fuel mixture to make a sharper turn from the port entrance to the valve seat. GM Motorsports Technology Group engineers evaluated head designs with valve angles ranging from 23o to 10o. An 18o valve angle proved to be a good compromise between chamber design and intake port performance.

Recommended valves sizes for engines with less than 4.060" cylinder bores are 2.125" intake valves and 1.620" exhaust valves. Engines with 4.125" and larger cylinder bores can benefit from the increased flow of 2.150" intake valves. Larger intake valves can be used, up to 2.20", depending on bore size. The raised runners roofs in all 18o heads require valves with extra-long stems. An overall valve length of 5.450" (.500" longer than stock) is used in most high-port heads. 5.350" long valves are used in low-port heads. This stem length will produce a 2.00" valve spring installed height with most racing valvetrain components.

The 18o heads' .600" thick deck surface and generous combustion chamber walls provide plenty of material for enlarging or reducing the final combustion chamber volume. If it is necessary to mill the head to reduce the chamber volume, the head should be milled flat, not angle-milled. Angle-milling an 18o head can impair airflow by moving the valves away from the cylinder bore centerline, thereby increasing valve shrouding.

Valve reliefs in the pistons must be machined to match the 18o clinder head's revised valve location.

The 18o head's revised spark plug location also contributes to the efficiency of the new combustion chamber design. Compared to to conventional heads, the plugs are moved .350" closer to the center of the cylinder bore and shifted toward the top of the combustion chambers. Engines equipped with 18o cylinder heads typically require less spark advance (32 to 34o BTDC).

The revised plug location also improves spark plug access, and protects the spark plug boots and wires from heat damage caused by header pipes. The spark plugs holes in 18o cylinder heads are machined for .708" reach tapered seat spark plugs with 5/8" hex heads (Champion S series, formerly BL series, or equivalent) and 3/4" reach gasketed seat, 5/8" hex head plugs (C series). Spark plug heat range will depend on the particular engine characteristics. A 57 heat range is a good starting point for most naturally aspirated small-block racing engines.

The stock valve spring seats on 18o cylinder heads are 1.640" in diameter. Hardened spring seat cups or spring locators should be installed under the valve springs to protect the aluminum head. The spring seats for the two center exhaust valves must be modified to clear the center head bolt or stud. Check for adequate clearance between the head stud and nut and the valve spring and valve seat.

When using large-diameter valve springs on 18o heads, install the cylinder heads on the engine without the two center exhaust valve springs. This will provide wrench clearance for the center head bolts. Then install the remaining valve springs after the head bolts are torqued.

All 18o small-block heads require aftermarket shaft-mounted rocker arms.

Due to the heights of the head bolt columns in 18o cylinder heads, special stud or bolt kits must be used. Twelve-point nuts and small-diameter washers must be used with 18o heads to fit the .875" diameter head bolt counterbores. Special head studs must be used in the two bolt holes between the intake ports on high-port heads. The diameter of these holes are 15/32", the other bolt holes are 13/32". Special "step-down" head studs with 7/16" - 14 threads on the block end, 3/8" shanks, and 3/8" - 24 nut threads should be used in these holes. When torqued to 70 ft.-lbs., these high-strength 3/8" studs produce the same clamping load on the deck surface as conventional 7/16" studs. GM Motorsports recommends that steel sleeves not be installed and material not be removed from the common wall between the siamesed intake runners when porting these heads.

I also had the intake valves backcut for increased low- and mid-lift flow. I got some information from Dart that indicated that the 18o heads really respond well to a 32o back-cut, picking up as much as 25 cfm across the valve lift range. The increased flow will work well with the turbo's, requiring less boost to make an equal amount of power. The increased flow is shown on the chart below in the light purple vs. the flow using the standard valves in dark purple. As you can see, the improvement is relatively significant from .300" to .700", with a reduction in flow over .750". Since my cam is relatively mild with only .661" lift, the reduction is beyond my range of concern.

Actual Intake and Exhaust flows (cfm) at 28" water are:

Valve Lift Intake (cfm) Exhaust (cfm) Exhaust-to-Intake Efficiency
.200" 136 111 84%
.300" 213 188 95%
.400" 274 224 87%
.500" 323 242 79%
.600" 359 253 73%
.700" 378 260 74%

In comparison, the famous Splayed-valve cylinder heads only yield a 5% improvement in intake flow over 18o cylinder heads, and exhaust flow is equivalent to the 18o cylinder heads.

Old 12-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Lets talk SB2.2 (Monty)

Great reading Monty, thanks!

Old 12-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should forget about them... Amy won't let me come over if you if you keep doing this you know :lol: She will think I put you up to It. Wait a minute, you didn't tell her that I.... :nono:

Hey, I'm not getting back in town untill late on Saturday. I,ll give you a call next week sometime. :crazy:
Old 12-21-2002, 11:49 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Great reading Monty, thanks!
Yes I totally agree :yesnod: Thanks Monty :cheers:

Frank I should be around, just give me a call :) .
Old 12-24-2002, 12:25 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help you, but I HAVE to say that your C3 is one of the most BEAUTIFUL ones I have EVER seen... Vevvy vevvy niiice... :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 08:47 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Lets talk SB2.2 (MrNuke)

I can't help you, but I HAVE to say that your C3 is one of the most BEAUTIFUL ones I have EVER seen... Vevvy vevvy niiice... :cheers:
Thanks Dude ! :cheers:
Old 12-27-2002, 05:56 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

some of you may remember the LPE "one lap" c4 car that used a monster 427 SB2 engine that cost a whopping 50K. car and driver did an article on this car, it ran 212 MPH on a 650 HP 427 SB2 SB.

hey monty, the SB2 stuff has some huge mirror ports but I can't help but wonder what these heads would do for a TT engine. might be interesting but certainly not cheap. on a NA street engine the flow velocity would be kinda lazy and yes, unless you ran a huge cam and compression, the engine would likely not be worth it, but with TT, it would really flow!!!

check out
http://www.musclemotorsports.com/

they sell used nascar stuff at a discount. some of these team dump pretty nice parts because they are slightly down on HP, they are just like the pro stock racers, they battle for every last pony.

I'd really like to build an SB2.2 440 SB using the motown SB and set it up for a twin turbo on my wifes C4.

I've been lusting after a TT ZR1 for a long time but since her car already has an automatic, it would be a better choice for the TT build up.

thanks monty for the very informative posts!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk SB2.2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets talk SB2.2