Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Pro Shifted Muncie

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Glenn454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Shifted Muncie

Has any one had a Muncie pro Shifted or know some one thats had it done?
Old 12-18-2002, 09:19 PM
chewy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Pro Shifted Muncie (Glenn454)

Long time ago. It broke on the second pass I don't really think it shifted that much better but definately wasn't a good street trans anymore. Pepe"s in LA did it I have no clue if they are around anymore.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:03 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Pro Shifted Muncie (Glenn454)

I've built a few and driven several of them on the street. Definitely great shifting at WOT, but a little tricky on the street. Basically to drive one at low speed involves matching rpm of engine and trans on the shift. Kind of like you do when driving an 18 wheeler (they have no synchros either on mainshaft).

I always left the stock synchro on first gear so it was easy to get into gear. All the other gears used solid spacers with no teeth. They make a slider called a "Hooker" type that is cut so that it is less likely to disengage when you let off the gas. Roundy round guys use 'em. On the street, it will have a tendency to jump out of gear when you decelerate. You can drive it around pretty easliy once you get the feel for it, but you pretty much have to forget normal downshifting. You can do it, but it takes some pretty interesting engine reving to pull it off smoothly. Usually you end up coming up to red light coasting and then put it into first.

Good race setup, tricky street one. But a good one will shift fantastic and it will be near impossible to miss a gear.

Depending on how it is done, as Chewy said, they can also be a little fragile. Many are made by grinding teeth out of slider which weakens it. Often slider will split in two.

The up side is that a trans with worn sliders and synchros is a good candidate to make into one. But to have one professionally done, I would look to Liberty or someone like that. I believe they still convert trans' to crashboxes and they do it with the "dog ring" type sliders that are way tougher.

I looked around for Pepe's a while back, and from what I can gather, he has passed away.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Pro Shifted Muncie

Quick Reply: Pro Shifted Muncie