F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Considering 2001/2002 TAs

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
All the "experts" always say "get an 01 or 02, they are the best, with the LS6 intake". The power difference between those two years, and the earlier ones with the LS1 are negligible. I would say go with the car with the least miles, in the best condition. Regardless of what year it is.

With regard to the T-tops, mine have never leaked. I put the GM silicone emulsion stuff on them from time to time, and leave the car in the hot sun for a few hours. This stuff soaks into the rubber, keeps it nice and soft, and the seals swell up in the sun, so the tops seal better. You can buy it at any GM parts counter.

The oil pump seals are better on the newer ones as well hence the higher oil pressure. Good upgrade for the older cars too. 98s had steel gas tanks and one year only PCM which is a tad harder to deal with in regards to tuning and hardware. Temp gauge more accurate on 98s though which is odd
Old 12-30-2015, 04:44 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

This may be a little late to the party...

I had a 1994 Formula and a 2000 Trans AM (non-Ws6). The 2000 was a million times better and not even just because of the engine. I like that the interior was nicer, I think in 1997 they upgraded it to the newer style with 2 AUX power outlets and the slide out cup holder that was way more useful. Also, I went from an Automatic to the Manual, you have to get a manual unless you plan to rebuild the auto, the 4L60E is super weak and break very easily if you are running it at the track.

My 2000 was black, it had the metal flake paint which looked great when it was clean, but maybe this is all black cars but that thing was impossible to keep clean. Mine didn't have traction control but it's good to have because the car can slide out from under you pretty easily. I also liked the newer style T-tops, and none of them leaked on the 94 or the 2000. The 2000 actually feels faster to me than my C5 does, both are manual, not sure why.

I'd get the WS6 if you can, I was always pissed I didn't have it. Aftermarket hoods don't always fit so well and you can spend almost $2 grand sorting that out. Definitely replace the lower control arms and panhard bar with tubular units like BMR or Sphoon, maybe there are better ones these days but that's what I had. Also subframe connectors are good to have, make sure you get the weld in ones. I like those because it gives you easy jack points from anywhere you want and protects you from any potential scraping that may occur. Also if you want to do mods but are on a budget, just get a cut out, I really don't think any of the expensive exhausts are that great over a cut out. You can get an electric valve for it which would make it function similar to the NPP option on the C6/C7. They are fun cars, but people ask crazy high prices for them so when I was looking for another LS1 I just spent a little more for a C5 since they are far better for interior looks and, well it is a vette. But I'd love to get a late model T/A WS6 again some day for the right price.