Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Sticky Midyear Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 09:48 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

My 69 also has a sticky wheel, I vaguely remember George Diana (I think it was George) commenting on this sometime last year. If I remember correctly he stated his wheel had felt sticky since he got the car new.
I tried a citrus based cleaner called Goo-Gone, it is good at removing tar, wax and glue. It seemed to work for a while, but the wheel returned to the sticky feel after several weeks.

Old 08-01-2001, 12:25 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PT, If this were the old Forum, I would say you should quit taking your Corvette to Baskin and Robbins for ice cream, but I won't say that...it's a new day and a new site.

Have you ever tried dusting a little talcum powder on your hands before you drive your Corvette? It might help keep the wheel surface from sticking to you for a while. You will probably have to do it again the next time you drive it. A PITA, but I have no other ideas unless you want to clear coat the plastic with clear urethane or something.
Old 08-01-2001, 03:01 AM
Ron D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a problem with condensation on your windows. Have to tried to not play doctor at the drive in...this may cure your sticky wheel

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky Midyear Steering Wheel

Quick Reply: Sticky Midyear Steering Wheel