Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

'69 Windshield frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 05:05 PM
Mark69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '69 Windshield frame

I would like to spray some rust inhibitor into the windshield frame. In the AIM it looks like the windshield frame might be open on the lower side, so I can insert the spray nozzle there. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-27-2001, 05:46 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: '69 Windshield frame (Mark69)

Mark, I have never tried what you are thinking, but it looks like it may be possible to insert a long slender tube up through the hinge pillar. You would have to find some 1/8" malleable copper tubing, adapt it to your sprayer, and patiently feed it up through the hinge column access openings.

Interesting idea. I'll have to remember that, and maybe inject some of that POR-15 paint up in there. Of course, that still won't help the top of the windshield frame, but there may be some small access holes in the top of the frame you can use.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:39 AM
3X2-427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark:
This may not be such a good idea, although its concept is sound you may exaggerate the rust problem by sealing moisture in.
I thought that while my windshield was out of my 69 I should seal everything after painting all of the frame. I chose silicone thinking that this would completely seal everything out. The glass installer said that he sees this constantly. Old car guys attempt what they believe is an overkill procedure only to find their windshield frames rusting faster than ever. The black sealant they use at the factory is evidently designed to "breathe" allowing moisture to escape. I would disassemble everything possible and paint then after everything has been cleaned and dried.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:10 PM
Mark69
Instructor

Default Re: '69 Windshield frame (3X2-427)

I do not want to seal the windshield frame. I am aware that sealing any cavity in order to keep water out will never work. The only way to keep it dry is having air circulation inside.
I want to spay 'anti corrosion fat' ( or grease, translated from German Korrosionsschutzfett ) inside the frame. According to the german 'rust prevention forum', which does not exist any more, this is the only way to slow down rusting in body cavities. The trick is: It is sprayed in hot and like penetrating oil it just gets everywhere. When it is at room temperature it is a like margarine, so it does not get cracks where moisture settles.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:52 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ja, das "korrosionsschutzfett" must be like the stuff that Ziebart used back in the seventies. After you got your car treated, they told you it may drip for a few months. I had little waxy puddles all over my garage floor. :D

So, Mark, have you got the necessary apparatus to apply this "korrosionsshutzfett" to the needy areas? If you're going to try and heat this stuff on the kitchen stove, and then pour it in your spray gun and apply it, you should sell tickets, cuz it will be worth the price of admission to watch this process. :D :yesnod: :lol: :jester
Old 08-31-2001, 10:02 PM
Roberto Luis
Intermediate

Default Re: '69 Windshield frame (Chuck Sangerhausen)

I think that some shops in Europe use a liquid (perhaps the one you are talking about) inyected in tiny holes through the body of metal classic cars. I remember a documentary about it.
Old 09-01-2001, 04:05 AM
Mark69
Instructor

Default Re: '69 Windshield frame (Chuck Sangerhausen)

Chuck,
I have sprayed that stuff in all accessible holes in the frame. Of course I have the equipment to do this safely. When I did the frame it was not such a mess as I had expected. I just placed the car on a plastic film and started work. After applying it I had some drips on the plastic film.

Get notified of new replies

To '69 Windshield frame

Quick Reply: '69 Windshield frame