Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Best way to replace vent window seal on a 65 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 10:46 PM
BayRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to replace vent window seal on a 65 Coupe?

What is the best place to remove the rivets so the vent window can be removed. The single rivet that is the pivot point or the two rivets that hold the hinge bracket in place?? Also, if I take it off at the hinge bracket, can I use regular rivets since they won't show? I have ordered the hinge rivets from ZIP. But am thinking the bracket might be a better choice.

What are your opinions?

Thanks
BayRay
Old 07-23-2002, 05:12 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Best way to replace vent window seal on a 65 Coupe? (BayRay)

I agree with your choice of the bracket for all the reasons you mentioned. I assume by "seal" you mean the rubber on the front and bottom legs. If I remember correctly, the rear vertical leg seal is a separate piece and if you are only doing that one, the glass and frame do not have to be removed to change it. When reinstalling the rear vertical seal, run a bead of black caulk under it before riviting. Almost every GM vent of that era used sealer there to prevent leaks, although it was tan/off white. I think black is better for obvious reasons, but I'm not a purist.

Quick Reply: Best way to replace vent window seal on a 65 Coupe?