Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Chicago peeps! Info please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:40 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Here's a good place for you to move to. You can join your Republican buddies down there and destroy the rest of this part of the country. I have no interest in that part of the country, so have at it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/ten...ef=mpstoryview
You aren't going to find many liberal friends around here.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't we all just get along? It's Christmas... Oh can I say Christmas without offending people here?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Robls6
can't we all just get along? It's Christmas... Oh can I say Christmas without offending people here?
Have you become a liberal Rob?
Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by johnnyvettes
I would suggest Elmhurst IL . centrally located with great schools and great public transportation .......but you don't need to work in the city Chicagoland as we call it is A sprawling metropolitan area .............be beware though taxes are among the highest in the country so is the cost of living & gasoline . great food I say the best in the country . A pizza place on just about every corner
For great western suburb Elmhurst is tuff to beat as I have been in that town for 7 years now and it is great and centrally located to all highway systems, have great schools, good investment in homes and plenty of newer ones to choose from right now, and we have our own cruise night car show every Weds. night in the downtown area where several of us are regular fixtures at (myself included been doing the cruise nights for 10 years here)!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:55 AM
yankee0304
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
For great western suburb Elmhurst is tuff to beat as I have been in that town for 7 years now and it is great and centrally located to all highway systems, have great schools, good investment in homes and plenty of newer ones to choose from right now, and we have our own cruise night car show every Weds. night in the downtown area where several of us are regular fixtures at (myself included been doing the cruise nights for 10 years here)!
Elmhurst is good, Downers Grove is nice, but has become pricey in a few areas. If you're looking under $500k, I might be able to help you find a house or two around D.G. if lot size isn't an object. Great access to trains, highways, etc. DuPage County is certainly a great place to live, and you can't really go wrong in too many places in the county.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank
Have you become a liberal Rob?

Do you really need to ask that question?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:43 AM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Here's a good place for you to move to. You can join your Republican buddies down there and destroy the rest of this part of the country. I have no interest in that part of the country, so have at it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/ten...ef=mpstoryview

Spoken like a true liberal azzhat Judging from your avitar poking fun at the FIA, I am left to presume that you are a NASCAR fan. If Ford wins too many races they change the rules to slow them down. Can you say "Redistribution of wealth"? Your liberal friends have not effed up Chicago; Cook County; and most of the state??

This thread has gone way off of the track .... not unlike you thinking.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:22 PM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

check out Rosemont. its a nice, small gated community. not CRAZY expensive. and they have a train station to get you into the city.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:47 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 99FRC Newb
check out Rosemont. its a nice, small gated community. not CRAZY expensive. and they have a train station to get you into the city.
Perfect if you like the feeling that a plane is going to land in your backyard.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:32 PM
rhedrich
Pro

Naperville great place. All the big stores with the small town feell. River walk, ribfest, last fling and many other fun things to do. Nice homes and nice people
Old 12-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Rider90
Racer

Here you go

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=6465767
Old 12-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Mariamznm
Drifting

Naperville is great if you like boring cookie cutter type neighborhoods. Stay away from anything off of 290E expressway thats east of Schaumburg. All around Schaumburg is probably your best bet. I grew up in Schaumburg and loved it. But all in all Chicago and its suburb is heading downhill fast. 8% unemployment, people are rude and arrogant. Its an ugly city unless you go downtown. But then if you like Downtown its bum central. Weirdo's walking the streets after 11pm everyday. You have the moving psychiatric ward which is called the CTA bus. Drive up and down 290 E and W. The whole scenery will remind you of the show Good Times.

I really hope you listen to me when I tell you not to move here. And it's not like I am some burger flipping for a living guy that lives in his moms basement. I actually done quite well but Chicago is not the place you want to live. I am 32yrs old and the best way to put it is if your single and under 40 you'll enjoy it here if you like gold digging women, liquor, gangs, loud noise from busses planes and traines and traffic. But to give you an analogy of what Chicago is like its like being 25 and becoming a cop. Yea in the beginning its fun and exciting. But after 5yrs it gets old quick and you'll just get stuck here. You can feel corruption. From the hired contractors that contributed to political contributions working on the roads all year to the increase in taxes for no apparent reason.

But if it's a must I would recommend to stay in Cook County if your buying a home. If you go to Dupage, Will, Kane their property taxes are high. Cook county is about 1-1.5% of home price. Other counties are about 2-3%. For example a 400k home in cook county will run you about 4500 in taxes per year. In other counties it'll run you about 8-10k per year.

The problem with Chicago is wherever you live there is some dump of a area thats near by. Where I grew up which is Schaumburg its a nice big city. Shopping and restaurants like crazy and always something to do. It's a clean area but problem is you have Hanover Park and Elgin near by. Even south suburbs you have Joliet and Aurora. McHenry County which is way up north you have Rockford.

I don't know how old you and your wife are but if you guys are hovering 40 you will realize how fast Chicago gets old. During the winters the sun goes down 4'ish. Its only sunny half the year and thats including the winters. So if you take actual nice days thats sunny and warm it's only 20% of the year. The rest is either cold, rainy, snowy or cloudy. There is no consistancy with weather. This may sound crazy but this is the only city where you will have the heat and AC on within hours.

Upscale areas in the city is Gold Coast, Streeterville and Trust fund baby central Lincoln Park otherwise known as LP. Streeterville is like Navy Pier area. But so you know Chicago can give 2 sh*ts about its people. They just leased their parking meters for a billion. Now parking in the street will likely triple. Which in return garage parking will sky rocket. To park for a good 3hrs will likely cost you $30. You are like a piece of meat on a bone while the city and its political machine are like the wolves. There is no respect from either end. This city does nothing for its residents and money talks here. Thats how sad it is. Chicago is also losing population. I wonder why. Oh BTW everybody expects a tip here. Even dunkin donut workers. Gets old quick. Hope you listen to me if not you have been warned.

FYI on MSN.COM Chicago was rated most stressful city to live in. Good luck because you will need it moving here. This city will chew you up and spit you right out. Its a money hungry city and will fine, tax and steal from you any way possible.

***THIS IS JUST MY OPINION OF SH*TCAGO***

Last edited by Mariamznm; 12-29-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:57 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 567 Posts

Do yourself a favor and stay where you are.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank
Perfect if you like the feeling that a plane is going to land in your backyard.
Most the homes are small ,the larger nicer homes are owned by the Mayor, his son and the other cronies that control the Village.
Stick with Elmhurst, or Downers Grove.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

It's really obvious that most people responding to the question in this thread have usually picked their own home town as the best place in Chicagoland to live. I guess I would have to say the same. Shop around and check out the area well. Check out rush hour traffic as well as Civic pride in whatever community you settle in. Good schools are really important for resale value of your home, even if you don't have kids it's something that should be high on your list. It's a buyer's market right now, and if your credit is good you can drive a real bargain. St. Charles has reasonable property taxes compared to many other communities because there is a very good industry base here, and it does take the edge off taxes for most residents. Our traffic sucks during rush hour because everyone has to get across the river in a very limited amount of places. I don't think the traffic is any where close to what it's like in most of central and northern Cook County or southern Lake County though. Best of luck with your search!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:54 AM
DonBuralli
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

No one has said it yet, but McHenry County is nice, i live here, i love it. Most people around here are very nice and friendly, we have some very good schools around here. (from what you said that doesnt matter though) and there are tons of amazing houses going for dirt cheap. Gas has mellowed out around here. Payed $1.40/gallon at the pump yesterday for regular to fill up my expedition. Around here i think there is also Barrington, i heard that was kind of a richy rich kind of area. But in McHenry County; McHenry, Crystal Lake, Woodstock, all very nice areas and easy going. Not horrible on traffic for daily commuting or anything. And im sure you could find a job easy around here. And also everything you need is within a 15 minute driving distance from where you are. We have some very fast growing areas like Huntley also that are getting tons of shops and other things. Movie theatres, restaurants, you name it, its all very close and they are all nice clean establishments.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Big Fish
It's really obvious that most people responding to the question in this thread have usually picked their own home town as the best place in Chicagoland to live.
The best solution is to look at the various communities to see what each has to offer. You'll find that property taxes are generally higher in Lake County than in Cook County. McHenry County has some very nice communites as well, and their property taxes tend to be lower. What it boils down to is personal preference. The only thing that most communities have in common is our damn potholes!

Get notified of new replies

To Chicago peeps! Info please!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
RDKING
Pro

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I've lived in the northwest suburbs for 50 years and there are a number of great communities. Arlington Hts., Buffalo Grove, Palatine, Deerfield, Highland Park, Lake Forest, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Naperville, Mt. Prospect, and many others have a great deal to offer. If you're concerned about crime rates, contact the local police department and speak to someone in the Crime Prevention Unit. They can give you crime stats and whether or not you're looking at a safe neighborhood. You might also want to speak to someone in the Chamber of Commerce to get an overview of the community and it's businesses. Good luck!
I am moving to Florida, so my house in Mount Prospect is For Sale. Brick ranch 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath and 2 car attached garage with full basement. It is also 3 blocks from the train station. e mail me at rkranz@wowway.com
Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Pats90
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Only $1,300,000 - it has a 3 car garage with lift too. In Itasca.

Timeless architecture w/brick & stone nestled in quiet itasca seconds from 355/walking distance to train! Dramatic entry, arched doorways, open flr plan, north shore finishes t/o 7800 sq ft on three levels, state of the art kt w/maple cabs ss appls, 2 family rooms w/fireplaces, attn to detail handled by landscape architect, designer & builder unbelievable outdoor.

Building Features
Basement (Basement)
Interior Features
Bedroom 2 Dim (17 x 13)
Bedroom 3 Dim (13 x 13)
Bedroom 4 Dim (13 x 12)
Dining Room Dim (20 x 13)
Family Room Dim (20 x 19)
Interior Construction (Wet Bar, Vaulted Ceilings)
Kitchen Dim (25 x 18)
Living Room Dim (14 x 14)
Main Bedroom Dim (23 x 16)
Fireplace
Exterior Features
Parking (Garage Door Opener, Attached Parking, Three Car Garage, Parking Garage)
Patio (Patio)
Pool (In Ground Pool)
School Information
District: 10

Elementary School: Raymon
Middle School: F E Pe
High School: Lake P
Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will happily trade you my 4 bedroom 3.5 bath, 3 car garage, 3000 sq ft home in Homer Glen, for whatever you have in Florida.

...Or you could give me $425,000 and I'll go to Florida on my own.

BTW...This is what it looked like a couple of weeks ago.

I'll even throw in the car...

Quick Reply: Chicago peeps! Info please!