Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

When did the IL Tollway switch the preferred Ipass location???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default When did the IL Tollway switch the preferred Ipass location???

I travel allot and recently stopped at a plaza on the IN Toll Road. They had big signs about the correct location of the transponders being on the "drivers" side of the mirror!!

Well, I know there is a reason all of ours are installed on the passengers side and I checked the IL Ipass website.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls...ss-transponder

Yup, drivers side now!? I heard on the news they would begin fining folks for improper placement without notification, just taking extra funds from their accounts! WTH...
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1584...-post1308.html
Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

When I exchanged my old transponder for the new smaller one they made a big deal about where to place it, they said directly under the mirror. I never mount mine since I don't use it very often and hate that thing on my windshield. They told me that holding it up wouldn't work anymore blah blah blah. I've used it several times since and just hold it up to the window and it's working fine. I haven't tried just laying it on the dash like I used to because they said that wouldn't work either.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by jptgs1
I travel allot and recently stopped at a plaza on the IN Toll Road. They had big signs about the correct location of the transponders being on the "drivers" side of the mirror!!

Well, I know there is a reason all of ours are installed on the passengers side and I checked the IL Ipass website.

Yup, drivers side now!? I heard on the news they would begin fining folks for improper placement without notification, just taking extra funds from their accounts! WTH...
What difference does it make where it's at as long as they get their money? I suppose before long they'll be fining the folks who still pay cash for having their wallet in the wrong pocket. Personally, I think they'd be hard pressed to enforce something like that.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM
AaronDoud
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question I am going to be needing to use my Ipass again. I can't find my old one do I just log in and order a new one?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AaronDoud
Question I am going to be needing to use my Ipass again. I can't find my old one do I just log in and order a new one?
You will need to buy a new one but should report the old one as lost.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

I wonder how this works with registering your car, color, make and plate number. I have my cars registered and don't have transponders for all of them or my motorcycle either. I just rely on the fact that my plate is registered. Haven't had an issue to date. Wife has an Evoque (Range Rover) they have windshields that block signal and I'm not buying a license plate mounted transponder. I mounted hers inside on the underside of the "full roof" glass panel and it works just fine. My new smaller unit works just fine sitting in a compartment on top of the dash on the Volt too.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 AM
AaronDoud
Racer

Originally Posted by Stilcrazee
You will need to buy a new one but should report the old one as lost.
Thanks. I do not drive in Northern IL much anymore.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stilcrazee
I wonder how this works with registering your car, color, make and plate number. I have my cars registered and don't have transponders for all of them or my motorcycle either. I just rely on the fact that my plate is registered. Haven't had an issue to date. Wife has an Evoque (Range Rover) they have windshields that block signal and I'm not buying a license plate mounted transponder. I mounted hers inside on the underside of the "full roof" glass panel and it works just fine. My new smaller unit works just fine sitting in a compartment on top of the dash on the Volt too.
We have 4 cars and two transponders. I have all 4 cars listed as users under each transponder. That way we can swap them out and avoid any issues.

It's pretty simple to add vehicles.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

We have 4 cars and two transponders. I have all 4 cars listed as users under each transponder. That way we can swap them out and avoid any issues.

It's pretty simple to add vehicles.
I know it's easy, I meant how it was going to be enforced because I don't move transponders vehicle to vehicle. (7 transponders 10 vehicles)

I read through info from the ipass link above and my take is the rule of mounting spot will come into play if they have to do a video review of a missed toll, where the transponder didn't read (or in the case of someone skipping tolls)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

I find it difficult to believe that moving the I-Pass transponder 1 foot is going to make a difference in the scanning process. Transponders are shipped in foil lined packages so that they don't activate tollway scanners during shipment. If the state has the capability of issuing a citation based on the data the owner has submitted, why don't they just deduct the amount of the "unread" toll from your account? I'm sure folks will receive a ticket for the unpaid toll and for improper display or mounting of their transponder. Sounds like a win win situation for the Land of Lincoln.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
why don't they just deduct the amount of the "unread" toll from your account?
they do; if you log onto your account, you will see "vtoll" next to the plaza you went through. That indicates that your car is registered under an ipass account, and the ipass didnt read, or you forgot to put it in the car etc...............
Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

When I had my ipass laying on the dashboard for an extended period of time it would not work. I found that out by looking at my tolls on the website. I mounted it on the windshield and had no more problems. Just don't put it behind the little black dots across the top. On the vette I use the license plate mount with no problems.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
RJ-19
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

The left or right side of the mirror makes no difference. What if you mount it on the left side of the mirror, but drive in the right hand part of your lane? On the other hand, you could mount it on the right hand side and tell them you tend to drive in the left side of your lane. I could see where putting behind a dark tinted section or vinyl decal could be an issue. I just send my 10 year old one back to be replaced. They told me to wrap it in foil as they would not refund any tolls collected if the transponder was activated when the delivery truck (USPS) used the tollway.

Ryan J
Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Maligator
they do; if you log onto your account, you will see "vtoll" next to the plaza you went through. That indicates that your car is registered under an ipass account, and the ipass didnt read, or you forgot to put it in the car etc...............
Even though they charge your account for the toll, I wonder if they'd still send you a ticket if the transponder isn't on the correct side?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:50 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

I knew a guy had it mounted under his hood on his c5 it worked fine . what the hell is the difference what side of the mirror it's on ! this state is smoking crack ! time to get the hell out of here . I can't take much more of this crazyazz state
Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Even though they charge your account for the toll, I wonder if they'd still send you a ticket if the transponder isn't on the correct side?
No, they just do it the easy way and take your money.

When I drove my car home from PA, the booths in IN didn't recognize me holding it up. I was charged extra on my first day of ownership, they cut you no slack...

IN has it right on the front page of their website, an additional $1 for improper location.

https://www.ezpassin.com/index.jsp

https://www.ezpassin.com/pdf/Transpo...structions.pdf

Last edited by Jeff T.; 06-06-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To When did the IL Tollway switch the preferred Ipass location???

Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

If it registers the toll, why do they care if it's mounted on the windshield or stuck up your rectum? I keep one in the saddlebag of my bike and never had an issue.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank
If it registers the toll, why do they care if it's mounted on the windshield or stuck up your rectum? I keep one in the saddlebag of my bike and never had an issue.
the state of Illinois will find anyway to screw the taxpayers to fund their out of control spending.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank
They've been doing that to us for years. I'm sooooooo friggin' tired of these morons.

Quick Reply: When did the IL Tollway switch the preferred Ipass location???