Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Slow Forum

Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Slow Forum

Over the last 2 months or so the vette forum has become very slow for me to use. The initial opening of the selected section of the C3 takes a long time to open. Then moving from a post back to the post listings crawls. I have cable internet that is running at 10mb. No new software has been added to my PC in fact I have removed some. Anyone else experiencing a slow moving forum? thx
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You either need to 'cold-boot' your computer because it is loaded up with downloaded junk or you might have a virus that is causing complications. In your shoes, I would first, cold-start to see if that helped; if not, then run a complete virus check to assure no 'bugs' were hanging around.

I have experienced such problems in the past and always found it to be a 'local' issue.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It's gotten progressively slower over the last few 6 month+.
It could be your computer loaded with malware, tracking software etc or even viruses.
Try downloading a large file such as a software driver update from ATI ( you can cancel before finishing) and test your speed.
Or try simple html sites for speed.

At the very best here is what is trying to load when connecting to CF just once from a tweaked, clean computer with no internet history.

All of these links (other than google) load with CF. They are largely advertising servers (notoriously slow), tracking sites and off site storage files.
A source of revenue for the website, just the price you pay for a free forum, but they could be managed much better for speed.

On your end all you can do is block each one.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by noonie
It could be your computer loaded with malware, tracking software etc or even viruses.
Try downloading a large file such as a software driver update from ATI ( you can cancel before finishing) and test your speed.

At the very best here is what is trying to load when connecting to CF just once from a tweaked, clean computer with no internet history.

All of these links (other than google) load with CF. They are largely advertising servers (notoriously slow), tracking sites and off site storage files.
A source of revenue for the website, just the price you pay for a free forum, but they could be managed much better for speed.

Almost all of the sites on that list can be blocked by even the firewall settings of a browser or an ad blocking program. I sometimes get that list as you do and then feed the links I do not want into my firewall so they cannot load ever.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all are simply advertising sources. Some are beneficial for the user interface. For example, blocking IBSRV will result in some core features within vBulletin (such as the drop-down menus, thread moderator tools, insertable smilies and other WYSIWYG functions) to no longer work as IBSRV hosts some core javascript files that vBulletin uses for the aforementioned functions.

Originally Posted by noonie

Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Many thanks. Willl ck on the clean of my box and then decide if some of the loads at forum startup are hindering the performance. Never thought a forum would be quite as complex as this appears to be.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

New record in slow. Today's click for the last day's post took:

Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
New record in slow. Today's click for the last day's post took:

I would say something is wrong on your end. I have done several searches this morning and none took more than a few seconds.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
You may not be using IE9.
I downloaded and installed the newest version of IE at the end of last year -- hoping to improve the issue. And, I'm not the only one posting about the issue. Here's the important point...The number of seconds for a search is only an issue of a database engine!

Google Chrome works much faster but I shouldn't be forced to use a specific browser for this forum. No problems with other sites either.

This one from a couple days ago was weird too. It took eight minutes before the screen displayed the results.

I have read and heard of problems with Flash and IE9. Perhaps that's part of the issue since there is a heavy Flash influence here at CF.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Well, the 100 second search time is independent of the browser. That's simply the amount of time it took the database to perform it's search.

CF admins have commented that posters with a high post count have the bigger issue. IMO, taking over 1.5 minutes for a LIGHTENING PACED search thru my 5-6k records means keys are setup incorrectly or something to that effect. OTOH, I've wondered about priority of operations and how that can delay ANY search.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

I understand what you are saying in regards to the services that are enabled to provide support for the supporting vendors. However, in all honesty if I compare the search time or just moving from a post back to the post selection screen or visa versa they time is cumbersome. I reference forums like Corvette Action Center, Digital corvette, Holley, cliffs and the time to move around from post to post or search for information is significantly less. I thinki this is something the moderators need to look at.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Even though I added the CF to compatibility view two days ago, it wasn't in the list today.

Added it again and got back to reasonable response without the need for double-clicking many controls.

Maybe the issue is how compability mode works with the CF from IE9? And, if it continues to work in subsequent visits.

Get notified of new replies

To Slow Forum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slow Forum