Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

How to move private messages???

Old 04-12-2017, 03:04 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default How to move private messages???

I don't know if there is another place I am supposed to ask a question like this?

I have created 2 new folders for received and sent messages since my messages have reached near the limit. However, I don't find any instructions on how to move them to the new folders?
Old 04-12-2017, 03:21 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Look in the FAQs under the Private Messages link?
or,
ask a Moderator?

Instructions from the Private Msgs heading under General Forum Usage:

the administrator has enabled the Private Messaging system, registered members may send each other private messages.

How do I send Private Messages?

Private messages work a little like email, but are limited to registered members of this forum. You may be able to include BB code, smilies and images in private messages that you send.

You may send a private message to a member of this forum by clicking the 'Send A Private Message' link in the private messaging section of your user control panel (more info), or by clicking the 'Send a Private Message' link in the drop down menu that appears in a member's posts when you click on their username.

When you send a message, you have the option to save a copy of it in your 'Sent Items' folder.

How do I work with Private Message Folders?

By default, you will have two folders in your private message area. These are the 'Inbox' and the 'Sent' Items folders.

The 'Inbox' folder contains any new messages you receive. It allows you to view all the messages you have received, along with the name of the person who sent it, and the date and time it was sent.

The 'Sent Items' folder contains a copy of any messages that you have sent, where you have specified that you wish to keep a copy for future reference.

You can create additional folders for your messages by clicking the 'Edit Folders' link.

Each folder has a set of message controls which allow you to select messages, then either move them to one of your custom folders, or delete them. Once you have selected your messages, you can choose the following options in the 'Selected Messages' box at the bottom of the list:

Move to Folder
Delete
Mark as Read
Mark as Unread
Download as XML
Download as CSV
Download as TEXT
You will need to periodically delete old messages, as the administrator has probably set a limit to the number of private messages you can have in your folders. If you exceed this number, you will not be able to send or receive new messages until you delete some old ones.

If you would like to keep a record of your messages before you delete them, you can use any of the 'Download as..' options listed above to take a copy and store them on your own computer.

Whenever you read a message, you will have the option to reply or forward it to another member of the forum. You may also have the ability to forward that message to multiple members of your contact list.

How do I track messages?

When you send a new private message, you may have the option to request a read-receipt. This lets you check whether or not a message has been read by its recipient. To do this, go to the 'Message Tracking' page.

This page is divided into two sections: unread and read messages.

The unread messages section shows all messages that you have sent with a read-receipt request, that have not yet been read by their recipient.

The read messages section shows all messages you have sent with a receipt request that have been read and acknowledged by their recipient. The time that the message was read is also shown.

You may choose to end the tracking on any message you choose by selecting it and clicking the 'End Tracking' button.

When you receive a message with a read-receipt request, you may have the option to read the message while denying the read-receipt request. To do this, simply click the 'Deny Receipt' link rather than the title of the message, if it appears.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

I have 10 unread emails in my Inbox.

After I go into the 1st one and read it, is there a way to go to the next unread email from the view that I'm in?

Right now, I would have to back out to the main Inbox view and click on the next sequential unread email.

Is there a better way?
Old 03-26-2018, 02:20 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If using the desktop full-view theme, no there is no links to move to the next or previous PMs.

It's possible that could be added in a feature update. It's not as simple as providing a link - especially since all Private Messages are stored by ID numbers. That means if you're looking at PM #11782, #11783 may not necessarily be yours. So the system has to queue the database to get the next ID of your next message. All those little queries add up.

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
I have 10 unread emails in my Inbox.

After I go into the 1st one and read it, is there a way to go to the next unread email from the view that I'm in?

Right now, I would have to back out to the main Inbox view and click on the next sequential unread email.

Is there a better way?

Get notified of new replies

To How to move private messages???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to move private messages???