Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

It's gotten so bad on my hand held I can not use CF without it popping up in less than 30 seconds. Clearing cache doesn't seem to help. Could I correct this by using a different internet browser than Chrome?
Thanks, Greg
Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Nope, tried that, no luck.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:12 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596203325

This has been posted numerous times and has worked, in most cases to my knowledge, for those who have read and followed the suggestion.

If that doesn't work, you may have something else going on.

Originally Posted by Greg
It's gotten so bad on my hand held I can not use CF without it popping up in less than 30 seconds. Clearing cache doesn't seem to help. Could I correct this by using a different internet browser than Chrome?
Thanks, Greg
Old 12-18-2017, 05:53 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

I added the flame buster flag as per post #17 and so far it works.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

The info in post 17 should be pasted into the first message in this thread. I found it while using my laptop, and even though I knew where it was, I couldn't find it on my phone because the damn virus scam kept popping up before I could scroll down that far.

But, as a temporary workaround you can check the "Desktop Site" option in the Android browser (click the ... menu in the top-right corner, scroll down, you'll see it). But you end up needing to re-check it over and over, so it's not exactly a solution. Come to think of it, this workaround should be pasted into the first post as well, because not everybody will discover it.

The root of the problem is basically, CorvetteForum is getting hijacked by scammers who are using an advertisement to try to scare you into installing malicious software on your phone. The warning is a lie, don't worry about it. The "repair" button is also a lie, do not click it. Because if you do take the bait, then you really will have a problem.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:13 PM
J T
IB Staff

To be clear, this is not a CorvetteForum-only problem. Also, this is not aimed at CorvetteForum specifically. CorvetteForum's servers are not hacked or contain malware.

Originally Posted by NSFW
The root of the problem is basically, CorvetteForum is getting hijacked by scammers who are using an advertisement to try to scare you into installing malicious software on your phone. The warning is a lie, don't worry about it. The "repair" button is also a lie, do not click it. Because if you do take the bait, then you really will have a problem.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

This is ridiculous, I have an iPhone 8 and can get spammed almost instantly when I click on the forums it’s literally only thencorvette forum.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:28 AM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J T
To be clear, this is not a CorvetteForum-only problem. Also, this is not aimed at CorvetteForum specifically. CorvetteForum's servers are not hacked or contain malware.
I belong to at least 4 or 5 other car forums & have never seen this BS ad. I have run Avast & Malwarebytes on my phone just to cover my butt. NO issues with the phone.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 AM
J T
IB Staff

I've linked the following article before, and even in this same thread, since it's common to say "only on CorvetteForum" when that's not entirely the case nor accurate. 4 to 5 other car forums doesn't even register as a percentage of the amount of websites that's online.

https://blog.google/topics/ads/how-w...scammers-2016/

Take a look at the article. 1.7 billion ads removed by Google in 2016 for some form of ad violations.

For those who want to minimize this issue on not only CorvetteForum, but for all the other websites that also rely on advertising to help pay the bills while the site is free to access, the suggestion has been posted numerous times. Again, enter the following URL in the address bar: chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture

Then enable the highlighted option.

Originally Posted by oemtech
I belong to at least 4 or 5 other car forums & have never seen this BS ad. I have run Avast & Malwarebytes on my phone just to cover my butt. NO issues with the phone.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:19 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J T

I did and recommend it in a previous post.

My suspected it was a Google based ad and only focused on phones.

Last edited by oemtech; 12-19-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I activated the instructions yesterday afternoon and have had zero popups since. Nothing else I had tried worked - adware blockers, spam filters, cleaning history and cache. I have received multiple notifications at the bottom of my screen on both Corvette Forum and F150 Forum when popups were blocked.

For the record, I stated I was only getting the popups on Internet Brands sites and none of the other sites I frequent. This is a fact for me, not conjecture.

For posterity's sake I am adding the work around instructions again below:

Enter the following URL in the address bar:
chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture

Old 12-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BadAV
I activated the instructions yesterday afternoon and have had zero popups since. Nothing else I had tried worked - adware blockers, spam filters, cleaning history and cache. I have received multiple notifications at the bottom of my screen on both Corvette Forum and F150 Forum when popups were blocked.

For the record, I stated I was only getting the popups on Internet Brands sites and none of the other sites I frequent. This is a fact for me, not conjecture.

For posterity's sake I am adding the work around instructions again below:

Enter the following URL in the address bar:

I appreciate the help offered here and I know you're trying hard to find a fix but I'm at my wit's end with this nonsense. I cannot use CF at all on my hand held without this thing popping up in about 15 seconds. This is the only site where I'm encountering this problem.
Maybe it's me, but I'm not real clear on these instructions you've posted. I entered that URL, followed the prompts, then went to CF. Bang! it popped up again right away. Do I need to enter this URL once I'm already at CF? If that's the case I don't think I can log in long enough to enter the URL.
Very frustrated....
Old 12-21-2017, 07:40 PM
J T
IB Staff

You simply open a browser window/tab. Then type the following into the address bar:

That's assuming you're using the Chrome browser - which is generally the default browser on an Android device.

You only need to do this once.

If you're going to try this again, I'd suggest you clear your browser's cache and cookies because you might have something stored.

If that's not working for you, then you may have another issue. By large members have reported the above has resolving issues with rogue ads.

Also, the above is not CorvetteForum specific. It's a built-in option for the Chrome browser that, with the above performed, enables an option within the browser to help against rogue ads that are found on the Internet.

I appreciate the help offered here and I know you're trying hard to find a fix but I'm at my wit's end with this nonsense. I cannot use CF at all on my hand held without this thing popping up in about 15 seconds. This is the only site where I'm encountering this problem.
Maybe it's me, but I'm not real clear on these instructions you've posted. I entered that URL, followed the prompts, then went to CF. Bang! it popped up again right away. Do I need to enter this URL once I'm already at CF? If that's the case I don't think I can log in long enough to enter the URL.
Very frustrated....
Old 12-22-2017, 02:15 AM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks JT, tried it again and all seems to be OK so far.
Greg
Old 12-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Received 184 Likes on 114 Posts

I cleared the Chrome browser cache and history, pasted the link and enabled it, and all is good today.

Thank you!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:46 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Damn, lasted one day. Right back to the same popup/lock out.
This is beyond frustrating!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I've had this happen over and over for the past 2years. It only happens on the phone. I have virus protection on the phone and determined awhile ago, its something only on the site, not in the phone. Its trying to lure you into clicking it.
This is my 2nd phone and I'm annoyed by the site. They need to do a thorough scan and check any third party libraries in the code.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"

Old 12-23-2017, 01:47 PM
J T
IB Staff

Damn, lasted one day. Right back to the same popup/lock out.
This is beyond frustrating!
You're the first person who has said it didn't work or didn't last. Which makes me suspect you have a different issue and that you may have something on your phone. Or you didn't properly change the setting. Also, running outdated versions of Android can also be an issue.

Originally Posted by Elijah71
I've had this happen over and over for the past 2years. It only happens on the phone. I have virus protection on the phone and determined awhile ago, its something only on the site, not in the phone. Its trying to lure you into clicking it.
This is my 2nd phone and I'm annoyed by the site. They need to do a thorough scan and check any third party libraries in the code.
In short, it's not that simple and doesn't quite work that way.

But did you follow the suggestion that has been posted numerous times? If using the Chrome browser, enter the following URL in the address bar: chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture and then enable the highlighted option.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:42 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Download MS Edge abd see if you have the issue.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 PM
J T
IB Staff

I think sticking to Chrome would be best. If the instructions didn't work for him but it did all other cases, I'm suspecting it's something else or something is on his device and Edge probably will be a step back and/or create more issues.

Remember this suggestion we're providing is not just for CorvetteForum or even IB-owned websites. Chrome's Google didn't develop this feature within their browser for just CorvetteForum. This is a beta feature within the Chrome browser that's there because of growing amount of issues that can occur with rogue ads.

Originally Posted by oemtech
Download MS Edge abd see if you have the issue.

Quick Reply: Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"