Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Default Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"

Is anybody else with Android phones getting obnoxious pop-up messages on the Mobile site that lock up your screen?

The "Google" message says the Android system is heavily damaged and needs to be fixed, locks the screen, and then begins a countdown to begin repairing the system. I have to click to show multiple windows, then exit that window to get rid of it. Restarting the phone or clearing the memory and cache makes no difference.

This only happens on Internet Brands websites - F-150 Forum and Corvette Forum, with Corvette Forum being much more annoying with pop-up frequency.

It happened multiple times on both sites yesterday during the day, then stopped after about 7 pm. This happens with irregular frequency; I think it had been a couple of months since the last occurrence. Again, this has only occurred on Internet Brands Mobile sites, which leads me to deduce there is a Spam-bot lurking somewhere.

I usually just stop visiting the sites for a day. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. I then suffer from Forum withdrawls!

Edit: Infuriatingly enough, I got the pop-up immediately after posting this thread.

Last edited by BadAV; 12-15-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 AM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

I browse with an android phone but haven't gotten any of those from this site. Maybe install a free anti virus and scan your phone.

Last edited by jackjohnson_218; 12-15-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Received 184 Likes on 114 Posts

I have been getting the same pop up ad for months. Sometimes I could browse the forum for a few minutes, sometimes the ' your Android phone is infected ' ad would pop up in a very short time.

I installed Apus browser off the Google Play store. Although it fixed the issue, that particular app has it's own set of pop up ads that are really annoying. It tries to sell you every under the sun.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Originally Posted by jackjohnson_218
I browse with an android phone but haven't gotten any of those from this site. Maybe install a free anti virus and scan your phone.
I already have anti-virus and anti-malware installed.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Buy an Apple iPhone
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Originally Posted by madsonp
Buy an Apple iPhone
No thanks, I am not an Apple is the best Zombie.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
No thanks, I am not an Apple is the best Zombie.
Ok, have fun then.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:02 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I was getting it a month ago. It stopped for a while and started again 2 days ago.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 AM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Yup... it was bad a momth or so ago and the stopped. Just got it again. Killed the session and restarted.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:19 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Apple software is designed for children. But, a phone is not much more than a toy so I'll take an IPhone any day. They don't have problems like this.

Your issue is caused by Internet Brands not caring much who they sell ads to as long as they get paid. And Apple is the only phone company that spends much on preventing such issues. Since IPhones are much harder to get into, spammers/hackers spend more time and effort writing for Android and others. In the olden days it was Microsoft that attracted the attention because there were fewer Apple computers.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
Buy an Apple iPhone
Why waste $1000 on an overpriced phone that doesn't make a phone call any better than my $100 android?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Is anybody else with Android phones getting obnoxious pop-up messages on the Mobile site that lock up your screen?

The "Google" message says the Android system is heavily damaged and needs to be fixed, locks the screen, and then begins a countdown to begin repairing the system. I have to click to show multiple windows, then exit that window to get rid of it. Restarting the phone or clearing the memory and cache makes no difference.

This only happens on Internet Brands websites - F-150 Forum and Corvette Forum, with Corvette Forum being much more annoying with pop-up frequency.

It happened multiple times on both sites yesterday during the day, then stopped after about 7 pm. This happens with irregular frequency; I think it had been a couple of months since the last occurrence. Again, this has only occurred on Internet Brands Mobile sites, which leads me to deduce there is a Spam-bot lurking somewhere.

I usually just stop visiting the sites for a day. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. I then suffer from Forum withdrawls!

Edit: Infuriatingly enough, I got the pop-up immediately after posting this thread.
I'm seeing similar but with an iPhone. I also saw a thread about this in the admin section. It is NOT limited to this site.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Why waste $1000 on an overpriced phone that doesn't make a phone call any better than my $100 android?
No pop-ups or virus. That is why I went over to the darkside....Apple. Some people spend more money on a phone that does the same as any other phone. Others spend an insane amount on a car that is well.....a car! Same difference if you can see it!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
No pop-ups or virus. That is why I went over to the darkside....Apple. Some people spend more money on a phone that does the same as any other phone. Others spend an insane amount on a car that is well.....a car! Same difference if you can see it!
Funny. My $100 phone doesn't have any pop-ups or viruses, but then I use it for what it is......a phone. Go figure.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 12-15-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 AM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an iPhone and I was getting those phishing pop-ups on this and a couple other forums as well. Deleted the bookmarks and now only go on forums with my laptop.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

I started having this same problem yesterday. Only when I visit CF.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't only occur on CF or only Internet Brands sites. There's millions of other sites out there that probably haven't been visited to actually conclude that.

It is an issue that occurs in the advertising. I've linked this article before, but it shows that even Google has to pull ads out of the pool for different types of bad ads in the network:

https://blog.google/topics/ads/how-w...scammers-2016/

That is basically what the issue is here. IB pulls the bad ad when it's found, which is in part based on reports as found in this thread.

There's a plugin in beta for Chrome users that can be used to help with this issue for both mobile or desktop:

Enter the following URL in the address bar:
chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture

Then enable the highlighted option.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"

Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Only site I have this issue is CF. Ran Avast virus check.. Ran clean.
I use Chrome on my phone. I cleaned my history, cookies & cache. This seems to fix the problem so far.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:02 AM
BadAV
Race Director

It's back again today. Same ad on Corvette Forum and F150forum. Something about "Lebotomizing". Cleared history and cache to no effect. Popping up/over every single time I visit both sites. No issues on any other website.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:10 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596186536

It's back again today. Same ad on Corvette Forum and F150forum. Something about "Lebotomizing". Cleared history and cache to no effect. Popping up/over every single time I visit both sites. No issues on any other website.

Quick Reply: Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"