Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:06 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey guys,

I just installed the Ghostery browser on my phone. So far no hijacks... <knock wood>
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

Google Chrome might be coming to the rescue, they are adding ad blocking to the browser
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I believe I figured out how they are getting past the framebuster by looking at my Chrome browser history. They just keep hammering the browser with continual redirect requests until one goes through.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM
British
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This site is effectively unusable now. It took me nine attempts just to get to this thread and post this.

Another new problem that only seems to happen on Corvetteforum.com, my autocorrect/autocomplete now malfunctions about 50% of the time. I enter a word, and hit the space bar, and instead of entering a space it puts in the first letter of the word I just typed. Or, I'll start typing half the word and hit the autocomplete thing, and instead of autocompleting, it just repeats the first half of the word I've already typed. Either that or it will autocorrect it to the previous word and delete the current word.

20 year IT professional here, so no, I'm not crazy.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by British
This site is effectively unusable now. It took me nine attempts just to get to this thread and post this.

Another new problem that only seems to happen on Corvetteforum.com, my autocorrect/autocomplete now malfunctions about 50% of the time. I enter a word, and hit the space bar, and instead of entering a space it puts in the first letter of the word I just typed. Or, I'll start typing half the word and hit the autocomplete thing, and instead of autocompleting, it just repeats the first half of the word I've already typed. Either that or it will autocorrect it to the previous word and delete the current word.

Talk to me about the auto complete thing. I am using a Galaxy S8 with the latest OS and here is the odd thing. Using the Samsung keyboard, it is fine. Using the Swiftkey one, it does exactly as you say. What keyboard are you using?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:26 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Talk to me about the auto complete thing. I am using a Galaxy S8 with the latest OS and here is the odd thing. Using the Samsung keyboard, it is fine. Using the Swiftkey one, it does exactly as you say. What keyboard are you using?
Not sure, but I'd think that's more of an app issue (Swiftkey) than CorvetteForum given that CorvetteForum isn't controlling a keyboard app. There's also plenty of reports of swiftkey misbehaving and an uninstall and reinstall resolving such issues.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:48 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

I haven't had a single popup since switching to Ghostery.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by dvarapala
I haven't had a single popup since switching to Ghostery.
you will
Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 PM
British
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklim
Same, SwiftKey on a Galaxy S8. But, just like the popup ad thing, this ONLY happens on Corvetteforum.com.

Originally Posted by J T
Not sure, but I'd think that's more of an app issue (Swiftkey) than CorvetteForum given that CorvetteForum isn't controlling a keyboard app. There's also plenty of reports of swiftkey misbehaving and an uninstall and reinstall resolving such issues.
Interesting, I'll try that.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Has anybody noticed this issue has 'gone away'?

Knock on wood I hope it's fixed for good!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Raazor

I don't think it ever will. It's like Herpes. Sure, you can dose yourself and make it go away quicker but it will always be back. It has calmed down quite substantially. Got only 1 redirect 2 days ago. I am using an android S8 and the keyboard is Swiftkey and has been removed and Swiftkey beta is there and the wrong spellings is gone.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Raazor

HI Honey, I'm home again

Quick Reply: Anybody else getting spam "heavy damaged Android"