Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Picture attachments

Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

I hear you on arranging the photos when you're in the editor...I've done that. It works to get them in the right order. Once they go to the post though, they're all at the top. I recently discovered that you can highlight the pics, copy and paste them around in the post.
For clarification, are you saying once you've re-arranged them after Upload that when you submit the post the pictures return back to the top? That the re-arrange does not "stick"?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
For clarification, are you saying once you've re-arranged them after Upload that when you submit the post the pictures return back to the top? That the re-arrange does not "stick"?
The re-arrangement holds; each picture stays where I put it, relative to the other pictures....but they're all piled up at the top of the post, with all the text below them...regardless of where the cursor was when I click on "attachments".

So basically, the whole post, pics and text, needs to be re-organized before posting. This seems to be every time, for me. I've not yet had pics enter the post where my cursor was when I clicked attach, since the new format.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:29 PM
J T
IB Staff

The re-arrangement holds; each picture stays where I put it, relative to the other pictures....but they're all piled up at the top of the post, with all the text below them...regardless of where the cursor was when I click on "attachments".

So basically, the whole post, pics and text, needs to be re-organized before posting. This seems to be every time, for me. I've not yet had pics enter the post where my cursor was when I clicked attach, since the new format.
To clarify, minus the part where you say the attachment goes at the top regardless of where the cursor was placed before initiating the Uploader (which is the part we cannot duplicate on Windows with the big 3 browsers), I think it is working as designed.

Unless you go through the Attachment process one at a time, all the attachments will be grouped together when they're uploaded together. Prior to posting, you can drag the images to the spot you want within the post. Looking at the Uploader prior to 6/19/18, this is the same behavior. So I'm not sure I fully understand the issue. It doesn't appear to me that you could change the location of each attachment any different.

Going back to prior the Uploader (atleast over year ago), the legacy attachment manager simply dumped them at the bottom of the post with no ability at all to move them.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:49 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

OK, I clicked on "reply", then hit my spacebar (4 times), to move the cursor down from the top of the dialog box, clicked on my "attach" icon, clicked on "browse my device", clicked on a random picture from my "pictures file" (a Chevelle I used to own), then hit "upload", and here's what I got. And I tried to move the picture down, by putting the cursor above the picture, but was unsuccessful.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 07-23-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

you mad bro...

The issue is, the forum is putting the image at the beginning of the reply/post. Add the image then type your message above it. Click on preview and you'll get to see what your post will look like before it goes out to the interwebs. Posted on Mac Book Pro, Safari with ad blocker and all the other crap still running.

Can add photos further down line as well... add image and cut and past to the location you desire in the post.

Last edited by HooosierDaddy; 07-23-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

OK, I clicked on "reply", then hit my spacebar (4 times), to move the cursor down from the top of the dialog box, clicked on my "attach" icon, clicked on "browse my device", clicked on a random picture from my "pictures file" (a Chevelle I used to own), then hit "upload", and here's what I got. And I tried to move the picture down, by putting the cursor above the picture, but was unsuccessful.
Left-click and hold the mouse while dragging the image. The contents of the window will scroll if you want it further down than what you currently see. In other words, it behaves like any other Windows-based feature.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by J T
To clarify, minus the part where you say the attachment goes at the top regardless of where the cursor was placed before initiating the Uploader (which is the part we cannot duplicate on Windows with the big 3 browsers), I think it is working as designed.
Correct. On the PC that is how it works. On the PC the only "gripe" is that they all go to the top.

Originally Posted by J T
Going back to prior the Uploader (atleast over year ago), the legacy attachment manager simply dumped them at the bottom of the post with no ability at all to move them.
Well that's not true though. It WOULD dump them all together at the bottom, but they'd be in the order I wanted them (which we can do w/the current one [on a PC]), BUT, re-arranging them was cake. In your posting dialogue box, each attachment would look something like this:
["attach]098452058[/attach"] (quotes added so it wouldn't try to attach something). That compact format in the dialogue box made it not only possible, but easy to copy and plop the pic anywhere you wanted w/in your already typed out text. OR plop 'em then type....whatever. It was easy....and you could do it.

Now, you can do it too, like hoosierDaddy said. But it's harder/confusing sometimes b/c the pics are so big in the dialogue box, it's hard to know what you've actually highlighted and are copying/pasting.

My biggest gripe at the moment though, is that I can't post a pic from my MAC. That and when you edit immediately, it adds vthatv, below.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-23-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM
J T
IB Staff

Correct. On the PC that is how it works. On the PC the only "gripe" is that they all go to the top.

Well that's not true though. It WOULD dump them all together at the bottom, but they'd be in the order I wanted them (which we can do w/the current one [on a PC]), BUT, re-arranging them was cake. In your posting dialogue box, each attachment would look something like this:
["attach]098452058[/attach"] (quotes added so it wouldn't try to attach something). That compact format in the dialogue box made it not only possible, but easy to copy and plop the pic anywhere you wanted w/in your already typed out text. OR plop 'em then type....whatever. It was easy....and you could do it.

Now, you can do it too, like hoosierDaddy said. But it's harder/confusing sometimes b/c the pics are so big in the dialogue box, it's hard to know what you've actually highlighted and are copying/pasting.

My biggest gripe at the moment though, is that I can't post a pic from my MAC. That and when you edit immediately, it adds vthatv, below.
Yes, you could change the order and place images within posts while using the legacy Attachment system if you had "advanced" understanding. But by default the legacy Attachment put all images at the bottom. And if you referenced them, manually, within the post you got duplicates because all legacy Attachments was placed at the bottom of the post no matter what.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:00 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Hi JT.

I guess it's not just the MAC; I'm at work and can't upload a single pic from my PC, either. Two things have changed over the weekend (I know you say "nothing's changed");
1. When I click the attachment icon above -the paperclip with the down arrow next to it, it used to open the DL'ing box/window. Now it opens a small box, maybe 2" by 2" on my monitor with a grey line at the top that says "add attachments". Below that grey box inside greater the 2x2 white box, is a line that says; "Select files to insert inline" That box wasn't there last week....it just went straight to the dl'ing big box/window. It dose this new thing the same on my MAC at home, and the PC here at work.
2. I could upload pics last week. I can't this week from any computer, apparently.

Tried to a minute ago, HERE
Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Update. Typically at work, I'm browsing on Chrome. I can't post a pic today with Chrome, on a PC at work. I could last week. Out of curiosity, I just signed in to the forum (at work on my PC) on Microsoft Edge....same thing. Can't post a pic. Then I tried signing in and posting a pic using IE. Can't post a pic. I can't post a pic. Doesn't matter where I am, the browser, the computer....Safari. Chrome, IE, ME....I can't post a pic.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:44 PM
J T
IB Staff

Update. Typically at work, I'm browsing on Chrome. I can't post a pic today with Chrome, on a PC at work. I could last week. Out of curiosity, I just signed in to the forum (at work on my PC) on Microsoft Edge....same thing. Can't post a pic. Then I tried signing in and posting a pic using IE. Can't post a pic. I can't post a pic. Doesn't matter where I am, the browser, the computer....Safari. Chrome, IE, ME....I can't post a pic.
At this time, I'm not sure what to tell you. I can upload and I see other members are uploading attachments as well. So the system is not down. Regarding any changes, changes are generally not made during weekends during non-business hours. Unless emergencies. Perhaps something on your work network is being blocked? Even if you can browse CorvetteForum, that does not mean something else is not blocked. For example, CorvetteForum uses multiple servers on non-CorvetteForum domains to make everything happen. The attachments, for example, are not hosted by CorvetteForum's own domain but the parent company's.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

How likely is it that my work block me from uploading pics over the weekend? Not very.

How likely is it that my worked blocked uploads...but not browsing and posting?

Finally, How likely is it that my worked blocked whatever over the weekend...and then my home 'net provider also blocked me uploading too?

What do you suggest? I've got a 1/2 done 'Vette Kart build thread. What should I do with that thread and the covering of this cool build?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Apparently I can post pics from my phone (Chrome). IDK why that chrome works but PC Chrome doesn't work. Just more info for you, if it helps.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 PM
J T
IB Staff

How likely is it that my work block me from uploading pics over the weekend? Not very.
I don't know anything about your company. I do know a little bit about Internet Brands - the parent company who owns CorvetteForum - and that changes are not made during non-business hours (or weekends) unless there's an emergency because office hours are closed. People are on call for emergencies. Making changes to the uploader would not be an emergency. CorvetteForum offline and not working is an emergency. Additionally, updates are not just thrown up without scheduling and testing. I say this as someone who works with Internet Brands and sees these things that others do not.

How likely is it that my worked blocked uploads...but not browsing and posting?
Again, I don't know anything about your work. But as I stated above, the Attachments resources are not hosted directly by CorvetteForum. Therefore, you could post and use CorvetteForum even if your IT guys are filtering/blocking content.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:38 PM
J T
IB Staff

Apparently I can post pics from my phone (Chrome). IDK why that chrome works but PC Chrome doesn't work. Just more info for you, if it helps.
Extensions? Plugins?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I don't know what extensions are...or plug ins. I haven't changed anything on my work PC OR my home MAC....yet I can't post pics on either, using several browsers (as you're probably aware by now).
Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 PM
J T
IB Staff

I don't know what extensions are...or plug ins. I haven't changed anything on my work PC OR my home MAC....yet I can't post pics on either, using several browsers (as you're probably aware by now).
What are you using for security software?

Get notified of new replies

To Picture attachments

Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

None? IDK. At home, nothing that I'm aware of. It's a MAC...it never gets viruses! Here at work, I have no idea. But I doubt that changed it over the weekend....IDK though.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

If it were security, or settings....why can I get into the attachments window, select my attachments, get them each/all uploaded....then the failure occurs when I click the "upload" button that should plop them into the post? The actual uploading of all the data that IS the pics occurs in the attachments box. I bet all my pics are uploaded and stored...somewhere; I've uploaded 'em all! The failure, IMO appears to be in the linking of the upload location...to the post. That connection doesn't happen....in my lay observation.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:08 PM
J T
IB Staff

If it were security, or settings....why can I get into the attachments window, select my attachments, get them each/all uploaded....then the failure occurs when I click the "upload" button that should plop them into the post? The actual uploading of all the data that IS the pics occurs in the attachments box. I bet all my pics are uploaded and stored...somewhere; I've uploaded 'em all! The failure, IMO appears to be in the linking of the upload location...to the post. That connection doesn't happen....in my lay observation.
Perhaps the script is being blocked from working?

If I may turn the tables here. Why can I and others in this thread such as HooosierDaddy and leadfoot4 post pictures as recently as today but not you? This thread was originally about the insertion of attachments up at the top and not where one expected. It was not about being unable to upload anything. So far you're the only one who has this issue of not being able to upload anything. There is something specific to your settings, environment, etc. I have been trying to figure out your issue but I can only do so much when it appears it may not be within our control.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picture attachments