Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Picture attachments

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Picture attachments

ok the new formats have some pluses. But attaching pics to a post now is a pain. It used to be it would put the pics in line below your post. Now it automatically places the pic at the top which is just wrong. Is there any way to make pic attachments appear in line where your cursor is instead of at the top of the post?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:02 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark4cam
ok the new formats have some pluses. But attaching pics to a post now is a pain. It used to be it would put the pics in line below your post. Now it automatically places the pic at the top which is just wrong. Is there any way to make pic attachments appear in line where your cursor is instead of at the top of the post?
It does insert the picture where the cursor is. That was a feature implemented. If it's not working for you, then are you using any 3rd party extensions in your browser? Disable them. If not, state the browser, browser version, and operating system you're using.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I seem to be having a similar issue using the VIVALDI browser (Chrome Variant). I used to click on 'paper clip' add my image, upload and then use the 'drop down' to put the image where I placed the cursor.I have no extensions that I believe interfere. I noticed them being at the top regardless of where posted.The feature now is titled 'inline attachment' where as it used to be 'attach files' inserted the attachment # between [attach] and [/attach]. Maybe I'm not getting this but I certainly struggled last evening. I tried going 'ADVANCED' and use the 'Manage Attachments' BUTTON also - I was presented with the same INLINE ADD and NOT a MANAGER or so I thought. In this one I used the image from 'AN ALBLUM' and it looks to have placed it after the text. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IT HAS. Will an UPLOAD automatically now go to an album vs direct to the post?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-13-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:58 AM
mark4cam
Racer

Originally Posted by J T
It does insert the picture where the cursor is. That was a feature implemented. If it's not working for you, then are you using any 3rd party extensions in your browser? Disable them. If not, state the browser, browser version, and operating system you're using.
MacOS 10.13.5 and Chrome fully up to date. As an example, for this post I placed the cursor 2 lines below this text, then clicked the paperclip and attached the image.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 AM
mark4cam
Racer

For the post above, I used Quick Reply. When I clicked the paperclip, I could see the text behind the popup window shift down, the cursor jumped to the top of the post, and that is where the image was inserted.

Correction, I didn't use quick reply, I used New Reply.

Last edited by mark4cam; 07-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:03 AM
mark4cam
Racer

For this post, I am using New Reply, and I disabled all extensions in the browser. I pressed enter twice, then clicked the paperclip and inserted the image.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by mark4cam
MacOS 10.13.5 and Chrome fully up to date. As an example, for this post I placed the cursor 2 lines below this text, then clicked the paperclip and attached the image.
Again, you need to make sure you're not running 3rd party extensions in Chrome that alter the appearance or functionality of a website. We cannot support that. I state this because that could be the issue and you didn't mention if you disabled them or not.

I tried Chrome, IE and Firefox on Windows and all 3 work as expected. The images are inserted where the cursor is placed. So either there's 3rd party extensions that are possibly the issue or there is a difference and issue with MacOS's Chrome.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Read my second post. I tried it with all my current extensions on, and then disabled everything and tried with it off. Same thing. Cursor jumps up and the pic is attached at the top. Sounds like something doesn’t work properly with the Mac version of chrome.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:38 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Any further input? Or is something just broken with how it works on the Mac?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I attempted to attach a picture to a post that I just put up, and I had the same experience....the image went in ABOVE the text. This doesn't make my post as logical as it should. With respect to "disable this, that, and every other thing", all I can say is that things worked pretty well BEFORE the supposed update, therefore why should all the end users have to re-configure their individual systems? Secondly, and more importantly, a lot of us end users are not IT technicians, therefore we do not have all the expertise to be able to keep up with all of this stuff. Computers are not our daily jobs, they're just a form of entertainment....
Old 07-19-2018, 11:40 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I attempted to attach a picture to a post that I just put up, and I had the same experience....the image went in ABOVE the text. This doesn't make my post as logical as it should. With respect to "disable this, that, and every other thing", all I can say is that things worked pretty well BEFORE the supposed update, therefore why should all the end users have to re-configure their individual systems? Secondly, and more importantly, a lot of us end users are not IT technicians, therefore we do not have all the expertise to be able to keep up with all of this stuff. Computers are not our daily jobs, they're just a form of entertainment....
"leadfoot4" it helps to provide basic information about your setup if you want us to investigate. In this case, stating what browser you're using and what operating system as well as any 3rd party plugins/extensions within the browser.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
"leadfoot4" it helps to provide basic information about your setup if you want us to investigate. In this case, stating what browser you're using and what operating system as well as any 3rd party plugins/extensions within the browser.
I use Internet Explorer, I believe edition 11, my operating system is Intel 2.40GHz, and the plug-ins that I'm aware of are Shockwave Flash and Java 32 bit.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I use Internet Explorer, I believe edition 11, my operating system is Intel 2.40GHz, and the plug-ins that I'm aware of are Shockwave Flash and Java 32 bit.
I was unable to replicate the issue with Chrome, Firefox or IE. We will look further into this. We are aware of an issue with Safari.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:17 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I have the same issue with our MAC, my PC at work, using Chrome and IE. So....I don't think it has anything to do with any browser or PC type.

Furthermore....

Ahhh....why can't I upload pics tonight? This new site format sucks. What is wrong with the "old", whatever...when the old "whatever" WORKS?? I select my pic, click "Choose", it takes forever to upload the pic (as usual). Once the pic is "100%" and I can see the pic (or the icon of it), then I click the "Upload" button in the top right of the attachments box and....poof! Pics/pic are/is gone! Oddly enough, if I right clicked on the avatar pic after I uploaded it into the attachment box, then "[img]'d the link, we have something, but it's a real little something. :/

See HERE. I've been trying to upload 6 pics for the last hour and a half. POOF!....they're all gone!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:41 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I have the same issue with our MAC, my PC at work, using Chrome and IE. So....I don't think it has anything to do with any browser or PC type.
I think it does. A stock form of Chrome, IE and Firefox works perfectly fine for me on two different computers running Windows. To be clear, we're talking about being able to select which line placement to insert the pictures. Safari on MAC is not working correctly for various functions. In fact, I did another test using the big 3 browsers on Windows. Every one of them inserted the image exactly where I placed the cursor, which is how it should work.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...27-inline.html

Note no 3rd party extensions, plugins or other software was used. Stock Firefox, Chrome and IE as installed was used.

Furthermore....

Ahhh....why can't I upload pics tonight? This new site format sucks. What is wrong with the "old", whatever...when the old "whatever" WORKS?? I select my pic, click "Choose", it takes forever to upload the pic (as usual). Once the pic is "100%" and I can see the pic (or the icon of it), then I click the "Upload" button in the top right of the attachments box and....poof! Pics/pic are/is gone! Oddly enough, if I right clicked on the avatar pic after I uploaded it into the attachment box, then "[img]'d the link, we have something, but it's a real little something. :/

See HERE. I've been trying to upload 6 pics for the last hour and a half. POOF!....they're all gone!
It looks to me that others are uploading attachments. I was able to do so, see my referenced link above.

First step is to make sure you're not running any extensions/plugins that may alter the appearance and/or functionality of the site. Secondly, Safari on MAC is not working correctly for various functions but they work on Chrome, IE and Firefox on Windows. Don't know why Safari on MAC has to be the odd one out.

The site can handle more than uploading one picture at a time. You say it takes forever to upload. Maybe you have a connection issue with your ISP (CenturyLink)? I uploaded a 4MB file as an attachment within seconds.

Regarding the comments about the old format. It has been noted many times but I suspect it doesn't matter. The fact is, the way people access the Internet and CorvetteForum is different than it was 10 years ago. It's not just a box desktop or table laptop. Additionally, the new Upload - which isn't exactly new as it was introduced some time ago - brought drag-and-drop feature, the ability to re-use old attachments, post from your album, etc. If you want to go really old when things work, there wouldn't even be attachments or the GUI.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by J T
I think it does. A stock form of Chrome, IE and Firefox works perfectly fine for me on two different computers running Windows. To be clear, we're talking about being able to select which line placement to insert the pictures. Safari on MAC is not working correctly for various functions. In fact, I did another test using the big 3 browsers on Windows. Every one of them inserted the image exactly where I placed the cursor, which is how it should work.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...27-inline.html

Note no 3rd party extensions, plugins or other software was used. Stock Firefox, Chrome and IE as installed was used.
Yep. Same here, but it doesn't work. Why isn't anyone (in this thread) able to get it to work, but you? You telling us that you can do it....that's not a big help. It's great that you can....but it still don't change that it don't work for us.

If I click my cursor, (in any browser), the second that I click "attachments", the cursor disappears. How's it going to put a pic where your cursor is/was.....when the cursor isn't there? When you're done attaching, and come back to the dialogue box, there is no cursor there at all. You have to click in the dialogue box to place the cursor...but by then all your pics are piled up at the top of the post.

Originally Posted by J T
It looks to me that others are uploading attachments. I was able to do so, see my referenced link above.
O.K. ....so what do *I* do, then? You telling me that you can do it, isn't helping me to be able to post a pic. I've got a 1/2 done thread that I can't finish posting opti pics on.....

Originally Posted by J T
First step is to make sure you're not running any extensions/plugins that may alter the appearance and/or functionality of the site. Secondly, Safari on MAC is not working correctly for various functions but they work on Chrome, IE and Firefox on Windows. Don't know why Safari on MAC has to be the odd one out.
IDK why either. I'm a car guy...not a computer guy, but it worked (w/the pic piling at the top), a day ago.....and it worked even better, before someone arbitrarily decided to change a perfectly fine working format. So....now I can't post a pic.

Originally Posted by J T
Regarding the comments about the old format.
That's nice that there are new features however, the added new features don't mean SQUAT to anyone who can't get the thing to work right now. Know what I mean? It's like when my phone dl's an updated operating system (that I didn't ask for) and now my messaging doesn't work and I can't transfer data through the micro USB. Do I care about the new fonts and features. NO.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-22-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

FYI, the basic "pic posting" function has resumed working. I can post a pic, again.

They still pile up at the top though.

I'm going to click "attache" now and my cursor is blinking right......here>

DOH! I take it back....it's still 10-7. Won't post a pic at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Picture attachments

Old 07-22-2018, 03:31 PM
J T
IB Staff

Why isn't anyone (in this thread) able to get it to work, but you?
That's what we're trying to determine. Remember that CorvetteForum has over 450K members. There's currently 17 replies in this thread with some of those replies coming from same members. What I'm saying is, only a small amount of members appear to have this issue and we're trying to determine what those have in common.

If I click my cursor, (in any browser), the second that I click "attachments", the cursor disappears. How's it going to put a pic where your cursor is/was.....when the cursor isn't there? When you're done attaching, and come back to the dialogue box, there is no cursor there at all. You have to click in the dialogue box to place the cursor...but by then all your pics are piled up at the top of the post.
Not sure how you're doing it, but I typed my message then I placed the cursor where I wanted the attachment to be placed. I open the attachment window and, yep, the cursor disappears because that window isn't active. I'm pretty sure that's a Windows thing because you can't have multiple cursors active at one time.

If I want to post multiple pictures in specific posts, you can drag those images within the editor to a new position after you upload multiple images. You could also do them one at a time by going through the Uploader but that isn't as efficient.

To me it makes sense to upload the attachments and then drag them to the position you want within the editor after you Upload them.

O.K. ....so what do *I* do, then? You telling me that you can do it, isn't helping me to be able to post a pic. I've got a 1/2 done thread that I can't finish posting opti pics on.....
See above.

IDK why either. I'm a car guy...not a computer guy, but it worked (w/the pic piling at the top), a day ago.....and it worked even better, before someone arbitrarily decided to change a perfectly fine working format. So....now I can't post a pic.
This editor was changed on 6/19/18, over a month ago. Nothing was changed a day ago.

That's nice that there are new features however, the added new features don't mean SQUAT to anyone who can't get the thing to work right now. Know what I mean? It's like when my phone dl's an updated operating system (that I didn't ask for) and now my messaging doesn't work and I can't transfer data through the micro USB. Do I care about the new fonts and features. NO.
Like I said above, there appears to be a small amount of people who say it isn't working. The server doesn't give me any special treatment. All I know is a stock install of the big 3 browsers works as expected on CorvetteForum or this reply would be different. Whenever there has been any issue that I can find, I have admitted it. I'm not the developer so it's no negative on me if something doesn't work. Having help support on CorvetteForum (and other sites within the network) it's not uncommon for members to have 3rd party extensions or plugins or other software that they install for either CorvetteForum and/or other sites. When that happens, we cannot support software that alters the functionality or appearance. Is that why some are having the issue? Perhaps.

You noted using a MAC and I know noted a few things aren't working correctly on MAC. Additionally, Safari on iOS has some weird bugs, too, which I have found isn't even confined to CorvetteForum or sites within the network - meaning it may not be something our developers can fix when the bug is at the browser level.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Copy all that. I appreciate that something is being done...I just wish the thing hadn't changed in the first place. (the 6/19 change)

I hear you on arranging the photos when you're in the editor...I've done that. It works to get them in the right order. Once they go to the post though, they're all at the top. I recently discovered that you can highlight the pics, copy and paste them around in the post. So, I guess that's not too bad.

Unfortunately, I still can't post any pics (on my MAC).

I can do it tomorrow at work on my PC. During break and lunch, of course.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
….This editor was changed on 6/19/18, over a month ago. Nothing was changed a day ago.
Not to "pile on", but for the sake of argument, I hadn't attempted to post any pictures since the 6/19 update, but the first time I did, the picture went in at the top. FWIW, it wouldn't be that big a deal IF you could drop the cursor in front of it, and insert your text, but for whatever reason, you can't....

Quick Reply: Picture attachments