Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

I can't attach a picture. Could last week. WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default I can't attach a picture. Could last week. WHY?

I can't post or attach pics anymore. I could last week...and did, if you look at my posting history. For some reason, over the weekend, when I was at home, it quit working for me -on our MAC. Based on JT's input, I thought it might be a "MAC thing". Got to work yesterday morning and tried there, sure that it would work on the HP, PC. No go. I tried it in Firefox, IE, and Microsoft Edge -it won't work using any of those....and it still won't work at home, from the MAC/Safari.

Here is what's going on.

I click on the paperclip in a box, right here:

When I do that I DO NOT get the attachment window like I did last week...rather, I get this weird, black and white box. NOTE that this is new, starting this past weekend...

Since I want to add attachments....I click "Add Attachments" like so....

Only THEN, do I get the "normal" Attachments window, where I can start adding my attachments. So I do. I click "Browse this Device" (like last week)...

Which brings up my folders/files etc....

I select an image (in this case, that red 'Vette in the lower left) which is just like last week, and as soon as I click "Open", it immediately goes to the following page where it starts uploading the pic. The following pic shows this, and it shows a "percent uploaded" but sorry that it's so blurry. This part is also, just like last week....

....then it completes the upload, I see my pic appear (just like last week)....so it's UPLOADED....is it not?? I think that it IS. Where though?

Now, all I should have to do is click "Upload" and my pics should slide right into my post box...the one that I was already responding in...right? The pics are already uploaded and stored...somewhere, aren't they? SO I click "Upload" in the top right, here....

...and, POOF! They're gone! Where did they go?

....Where'd they go? They uploaded to somewhere. Where? And why don't they slide over into the post?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:51 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have confirmed with the Community Manager that no changes have been recently made to the uploader. They also confirmed this is the only case they've heard of regarding this issue. This uploader is used on other (but not yet all) Internet Brand's sites. Some of them have been using it longer than CorvetteForum.

You noted how the paperclip icon is different behavior now than last week. Are you sure you're not confusing that with the Image button:

Also, your images appear to be uploading. Look at your album in your profile:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/10206066

On page 3 you'll see two images of the red Corvette that you uploaded for your example you used when you took camera pictures of your process. So the point of failure is the insertion of the link. Something as simple as a security program could be blocking the script from performing.

Right now we don't have any further information. We are unable to duplicate the issue with 4 different browsers on different platforms of Windows and we've not heard of any other members within or outside of CorvetteForum that have that issue. That makes it extremely difficult to have answers or fix something we can't duplicate no matter what we use or do and can't even determine it's within CF's software since this is an isolated case.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by J T
Are you sure you're not confusing that with the Image button:
Come on man....are you serious? I literally posted pics, in two threads, showing you the exact button that I'm clicking! Did you even look at the pics that I've posted?? I don't mean to sound like a dick here, but IDK what to say. I literally posted a pic of myself clicking ON THE ATTACHMENTS icon...then the defective drop down that appears (that you even admitted in another thread that you've never seen). Sorry, but if that is your line of thinking, I don't see a real diagnosis ever happening here.

Yes, I'm quite sure that I'm clicking the same "attachments" button that I've been clicking since I could add attachments to the 'Vette forums. The results are suddenly different, but the button I'm clicking looks the same as it ever did.

Originally Posted by J T
Also, your images appear to be uploading. Look at your album in your profile:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/10206066
HA! I KNEW IT! That's what I was trying to tell you...that they were uploading...where were they going? Now I know. I didn't even know that I had an album. Thanks for showing me that. With the pics in the album...I can at least hyper link them "[img]" into a thread, I'd think. There are a BUNCH of pics in there that I've uploaded numerous times, trying to get them to show up in threads.

I wonder if I can delete the extras, w/o deleting which ever one is attached to a thread.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:03 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

HA! I've figured something out...another clue for the good "diagnostician". If I click "go Advanced"....THEN click attachments, I don't get that weird drop down....and, it posts the pics! HUH. Security features on my PC? Hard to believe.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:45 AM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Come on man....are you serious? I literally posted pics, in two threads, showing you the exact button that I'm clicking! Did you even look at the pics that I've posted?? I don't mean to sound like a dick here, but IDK what to say. .
I get you're frustrated but I don't think that & this is helping.

My comment asking if you mistook the paperclip icon for the image icon was in reference to your comment that I've linked attached below:
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

When I do that I DO NOT get the attachment window like I did last week...rather, I get this weird, black and white box. NOTE that this is new, starting this past weekend...

Hence why I asked if you mistook the two icons. Because, as I noted a few times earlier, nothing has been recently changed last week. The paperclip icon gives you the "weird" menu while the image icon goes straight to the uploader.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

O.K. Now I'm a bit confused; should I be using the image button? I've always/only ever used the attachments button. Test:

...I guess that works. Huh. Is that the proper way to do it? If it is, then my mistake all along, I guess. IDK why "attach" worked before and now doesn't but let me know which is the right way and I'll stick to that. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To I can't attach a picture. Could last week. WHY?

Quick Reply: I can't attach a picture. Could last week. WHY?