Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum from Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 05:25 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New to forum from Austin, TX

I'm not exactly new to Vettes, but I'm sort of a recent return...

To explain, I have owned a 1980 Corvette since 2000.... but it sat in my garage from 2003 until November and I just got it back from the shop on the 23rd.

It is running pretty well (after a substantial bill) but it still has a few issues that need to be worked out before it will pass inspection (pop up headlights are stuck down and the right turn signals aren't working). It also still needs some freshening up in the interior... new carpet, door panels, seat covers, etc. It also needs to have the AC replaced and upgraded for R134a.

My wife did buy me an Astro-Top for X-mas which I really like (the original T-tops have cracks in the glass).
Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

First time behind the wheel in over 10 years...
Old 12-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Welcome from Cypress, TX
Old 12-25-2014, 08:36 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome
Old 12-25-2014, 09:23 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Good luck with your eighty and welcome to the forum!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:21 PM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum from So Cal !!!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:51 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
Welcome from Cypress, TX
I was near Cypress today... My in-laws live in Shenandoah, which is near The Woodlands. We drove my wife's new Official UT Edition Silverado though and not the Vette.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
I was near Cypress today... My in-laws live in Shenandoah, which is near The Woodlands. We drove my wife's new Official UT Edition Silverado though and not the Vette.
How do you like the truck?

I am thinking I want one for several reasons:

1. I am a UT grad
2. Orange is the best color
3. It is very similar to my 1972 Ontario Orange C3
4. It is a factory color, with tan leather optional.
5. It is a Chevy!

But my only complaint is that CHEVY (for now) is only offering orange in the 1500s, which no longer offer an 8 foot bed. In my opinion, a truck with less than 8 feet for a bed is a city truck.

I WANT A CREW CAB, LONG BED, V8, ORANGE/TAN LEATHER, LTZ, 2015 SILVERADO.

======> Found only in 2500s & 3500s <======

I actually like the 25/3500s, but then it comes down to I can't get it the way I want it. Grrr!

Heres one I looked at recently.

I want the orange,but you don't use color. So I may have to settle for another color in a 2500/3500.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:10 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

We love the truck. We had a 2010 Silverado (that was sadly totalled by a guy who fell asleep at the wheel and hit it) before and this one is nicer in a lot of small ways. My wife is also a UT grad. We live in town so we don't really need a long bed and I wouldn't want to have to park anything any longer in downtown Austin. In the past I've owned long bed pickups but they were always regular cabs. I didn't know they weren't making a long bed crew cab in a 1500 anymore, but I guess I'm not surprised, even back in the day I'd guess virtually all of them were 2500 or 3500s and a lot of them were "Big Dooleys".

As for the color, we've been told the particular color (Sunset Metallic Orange) they used on the UT Edition is unique to it, and they have only made less than 1000 for 2015. It is not certain they will be making any for 2016+, this may have been a one time deal. The color is fairly close, but not exactly the same as the Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic that is available on Vettes. GMC has a similar color also, we've seen one on the lot at a local dealer, but that may not help you much as I don't think GMCs equipment options vary that much from Chevy. I think the colors on the non-UT models are slightly brighter, but that could just be me.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
We love the truck. We had a 2010 Silverado (that was sadly totalled by a guy who fell asleep at the wheel and hit it) before and this one is nicer in a lot of small ways. My wife is also a UT grad. We live in town so we don't really need a long bed and I wouldn't want to have to park anything any longer in downtown Austin. In the past I've owned long bed pickups but they were always regular cabs. I didn't know they weren't making a long bed crew cab in a 1500 anymore, but I guess I'm not surprised, even back in the day I'd guess virtually all of them were 2500 or 3500s and a lot of them were "Big Dooleys".

As for the color, we've been told the particular color (Sunset Metallic Orange) they used on the UT Edition is unique to it, and they have only made less than 1000 for 2015. It is not certain they will be making any for 2016+, this may have been a one time deal. The color is fairly close, but not exactly the same as the Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic that is available on Vettes. GMC has a similar color also, we've seen one on the lot at a local dealer, but that may not help you much as I don't think GMCs equipment options vary that much from Chevy. I think the colors on the non-UT models are slightly brighter, but that could just be me.

Yeah I have a 2004 single cab V8 1500 Silverado long bed currently, have owned it since new. It has 82/83,000 miles, hauled everything imaginable from coast to coast, border to border. It has been across the Pacific twice now and worked on our ranch in Hawaii. It is on its second or third tailgate, third or fourth set of bumpers, second bed, etc. The gauges don't work, and the high (speed 5) on the ac control module doesn't work. I've had to rewire part of the dash as the sea salt from Hawaii really is a gremlin. Bottom line is that, Big Red, still easily has another 80K miles left in her easily...and it is trooper. It is a great truck, straight piped essentially, but it is a serious work truck and shows it. I want a new 2015 Silverado as they are nice. I have 4 new 2014 Mercedes Benz, and in some aspects, I like the new Silverado's better. Problem is I don't have space for Big Red if I got a new Silverado. The other problem is that it is going to be hard to get rid of Big Red after having been through so much.

I have owned short beds, first one was a 98 maroon single cab. I also had a 96 blue extended cab long bed at the time. I didn't own it long before it proved it couldn't measure up. I own a 2003 blue single cab short bed, it is still in Hawaii, but same thing...it just is harder to fit everything in a working truck.

My next problem is that the new trucks are so nice that it almost is sacrilegious to get them dirty or really use them. Anyways I am really into big, bad, trucks and I want a dually; but I don't need a dually.

Have you had any issues with your truck? Anything from one buyer to another potential buyer that I ought to know about? Anything that really stands out after purchasing that you really like or hate? Anything you would have gotten or not gotten?

Thanks by the way...

Here is Big Red!

Anyways I LOVE Big Red, but I need more than a single cab, been that way since I bought it, but I loved Big Red since I found it. But I know deep down its time to move on...
Old 12-27-2014, 08:24 AM
softwarejanitor
Pro

We haven't had any issues at all with our 2015. Our 2010 was pretty much trouble free also, we never did anything more than consumables (brakes and tires) and a couple of recall services (transmission dipstick and something else) that hadn't actually caused us any trouble. The 2015 has gadgets and stuff where I didn't know they could put it. I thought our 2010 was pretty loaded, it was a Texas Edition LT. This one is a Texas Edition LTZ and my wife and I special ordered it and picked out everything, so there isn't much it doesn't have. Your red 2004 looks a lot like the 2003 regular cab long bed I had. It was a 2003 Work Truck in Summit White. It had the 4.6L V8 and was very plain jane, but it was still a great truck until it got totalled... It had just under 100k, and felt like it could have gone another. I've driven Rams and Fords... and no offense to them or their owners but they just feel and drive funny. I haven't driven a Titan or a Tundra lately, but the Titan just looks completely dated and the Tundra from looking online is massively overpriced for what it is around here if you get a V8 (mandatory in a full size truck or it has very low resale value).
Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Zulu51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Welcome to the Forum! Lots of great info and expertise here!

Get notified of new replies

To New to forum from Austin, TX

Quick Reply: New to forum from Austin, TX