Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Who needs help after Sandy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Who needs help after Sandy?

I can't do much, but will do what I can. We were fortunate to not have any real issues.

But if anyone needs a place to stay for a bit, or any other help let me know. I'm sure other CFNE members are here to help as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Great thread idea Ryan. I would be aboard with you on this one. We sustained some "irregularities" at the shore, but are good to go here at home.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Good to hear Ed

I'm not even looking at what happened to our Ocean City house for a week.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you have any spare gas cans or fuel?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

We are surviving here. We haven't had power for since 8pm Monday but the grill has lots of propane so we can have some hot food and a kettle to boil water for coffee and tea. I am showering in the gym at work for now.

There is a tree resting on the main power feed to my house. One power pole has the top snapped off and one is leaning heavily. Until they come and clear the tree I won't have power for a bit.

I still have 9 bottles of wine, some beer and a lot of liquor so we have not hit disaster proportions yet. The fireplace is helping to keep the living room warm, but I only have one fire log left. I am going to see if I can find some more fire logs or fire wood. If it gets too much colder at night, I will have to sleep in the living room. I feel lucky compared to a few people I know.

Last edited by chaase; 10-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM
sprta
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Ocean Pines Md here right across the bay from Ocean City Md. Although my home sits 15' from the bulkhead (and the bay) the westerly winds pushed the surge away from the bulkhead so we did OK. For those of you with homes in Ocean City Md if you would like me to check out your property let me know.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

We're better off than most here in Toms River. Propane grilling for diner, living off of very limited generator power. ATT cell phone equipmet is mostly down in NJ. Could be a lot worse.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a place in Chincoteague, VA - the last I heard from neighbors we had about 6" of water in the garage. As of yesterday the water was still over the bulkheads. I'm hoping my fishing equipment and freezer are ok and hoping the water didn't get high enough to do any drywall damage. The drywall starts at about the height of 3 side-ways cinderblocks. Luckily, we lost no trees and the house isn't damaged. I'm heading down this weekend to check on my equipment, if the reels got wet, they're toast in that salt water, thousands of dollars worth of stuff sitting there potentially gone. Fingers crossed, but if that's the worst that happened, we will consider ourselves very lucky, we have flood insurance, so all should be covered if it's damaged. You can bet we'll be building better rod holders up off the floor before next time hits regardless. Luckily we never even lost power here at my place in Maryland (south of Frederick). We were far enough west to be somewhat protected from the worst of the wind and far enough west to avoid the snow.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have near a cord of firewood if anyone needs it. Just have to come pick it up in Sparks MD.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Where are you at? Only have a 2gal can for the lawnmower, but your welcome to it.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

We actually have trick or treaters, a reminder that life goes on.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice idea Ryan.

My parents in Avalon got about 4 feet of water in there place, but that is all "non-livable" space (garage, foyer, storage) per current guidelines. My MIL in Manahawkin has a house by the bay on stilts - house itself is okay but her well system/water heater, etc was all at ground level and got trashed. Bummer is that it sounds like they are not letting people in her area of several days so it'll be a while before an adjuster can come look. They only let her in to get her pet bird.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Where are you at? Only have a 2gal can for the lawnmower, but your welcome to it.
Thanks! I was able to scare up a few 5 gallon cans, now its a struggle to get them filled.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM
rfatlanta1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

We are going down to Reeds Beach (Cape May County) Friday to inspect our trailer. It survived while many houses there did not. Just hoping no water got in. It was surrounded by water at one time so this is a very big hope.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Dr. Joe
Cruising

Default Flooded by Hurricane Sandy storm surge.

Monday 10/29/2012, I was faced with a very difficult dilemma. In preparing for Hurricane Sandy, I had to decide where to park my 2012 Centennial edition Grand Sport convertible. My two choices were in the underground garage at my apartment building (with no history of flooding since built in 1974) or on the outside parking deck (and risk damage from falling and flying debris. I chose the garage, and put my car in the corner farthest from the entrance of the garage (highest point available). I obviously made the wrong choice.

The storm surge washed away adjacent buildings, destroyed concrete retaining walls, and flooded the garage with over a foot of sea water. it wasn't until almost 48 hours later that the car became reachable. (I have posted pictures in a photo album titled "Casualty of Hurricane Sandy"). The car had no electric power. Using my emergency key, I opened the trunk and released the driver's door. Water had entered the cabin to approximately the level of the seat's sitting surface.

I think I already know the answer, but does anyone know if and how the car can be salvaged? I only had the car for 6 1/2 months
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Gigdy
I have near a cord of firewood if anyone needs it. Just have to come pick it up in Sparks MD.
I have split and seasoned wood if anyone around 08844 needs it. And thanks to Sandy I have wood for at least the next 4 years.

Since we got power back i also have 5 gallons of gas that i lent to my neighbor.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
I have both if you still need them.

Get notified of new replies

To Who needs help after Sandy?

Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 AM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Dr. Joe
Monday 10/29/2012, I was faced with a very difficult dilemma. In preparing for Hurricane Sandy, I had to decide where to park my 2012 Centennial edition Grand Sport convertible. My two choices were in the underground garage at my apartment building (with no history of flooding since built in 1974) or on the outside parking deck (and risk damage from falling and flying debris. I chose the garage, and put my car in the corner farthest from the entrance of the garage (highest point available). I obviously made the wrong choice.

The storm surge washed away adjacent buildings, destroyed concrete retaining walls, and flooded the garage with over a foot of sea water. it wasn't until almost 48 hours later that the car became reachable. (I have posted pictures in a photo album titled "Casualty of Hurricane Sandy"). The car had no electric power. Using my emergency key, I opened the trunk and released the driver's door. Water had entered the cabin to approximately the level of the seat's sitting surface.

I think I already know the answer, but does anyone know if and how the car can be salvaged? I only had the car for 6 1/2 months
wow that is too bad..

trust me, you do not want that car. It's a total loss with sea water flooding it.

Let insurance deal with it.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by vette4jr
wow that is too bad..

trust me, you do not want that car. It's a total loss with sea water flooding it.

Let insurance deal with it.
Sadly I agree. Water damage is bad enough, but salt water will cause electrical gremlins forever.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Dr. Joe
Cruising

Thank you vette4jr and nj02vette. You have confirmed my worst fears.

Dr. Joe

Quick Reply: Who needs help after Sandy?