Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

ChatterBox restaurant "sold"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:16 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Default ChatterBox restaurant "sold"

I was just watching NJ news12 and they mentioned that the Chatterbox was just sold to WaWa. That's disappointing. Great car place and meet up location.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 AM
rasacrystal08
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

yep, saw that too. Next year will be the last.
http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/inde...s_to_sale.html
Old 10-30-2017, 04:14 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Very disappointing, but can't blame the owner. I'm sure Wawa is offering him a good amount of money for that location. Will make it a point to go there a few times before it closes.

Last edited by MYCoupe; 10-30-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:36 AM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

yup, just saw this yesterday in nj.com.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:06 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

It's a real shame this deal might actually happen since there is a Quick Chek being built across the street where the Exxon was. We certainly don't need both and I don't see how it can be profitable having both on one corner for either company. But, what do I know. I live only a few miles from there and pass by every day when I go to work. Only 3/4 miles north of there is another gas station/convenience store. So in a couple of years we are going from none to three. BTW, the deal might not happen because the lastest news is that WaWa didn't do all their homework and it might not be approved after all. Only a few miles south of there is another Quick Chek and also one west a few miles in Newton.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM
news2me
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard the same thing. But I was told that, its going to take about a year before the deal goes through. The town board needs to approve it and things like that always hits roads blocks.. I went to a cruise night this past weekend and I was led to believe, they will remain open till it gets approved...
Old 11-01-2017, 11:21 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by news2me
I heard the same thing. But I was told that, its going to take about a year before the deal goes through. The town board needs to approve it and things like that always hits roads blocks.. I went to a cruise night this past weekend and I was led to believe, they will remain open till it gets approved...
And that's an understatement!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Good ol' NJ. The state won't be happy until it's nothing but strip malls and gas stations.
The following users liked this post:
Z0Sick6 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

What a shame - always a good time there!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:04 PM
MusicBiz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went for dinner last night with my son (been a while). Apparently Labor Day will be their last day. Got there at 8 and there was a line (they close at 9), many folks are saying their goodbyes. Some memorabilia for sale (they're selling the booths for $500 a piece).

Sad to see, need more places with personality like the Chatterbox. The owner (Don Hall?) put a lot into creating and running the place so I can't fault him but the last thing NJ needs is another Wawa/QuickChek.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicBiz
Sad to see, need more places with personality like the Chatterbox. The owner (Don Hall?) put a lot into creating and running the place so I can't fault him but the last thing NJ needs is another Wawa/QuickChek.
It's really a shame to see a place like this go away to make room for "progress".

Old 08-25-2018, 02:10 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Definitely sad to see it go. One of my friends was there recently, and I don't know if it was just an off night but he said the place wasn't as clean as it should of been or normally is. I don't know if the standards are slipping as the clock ticks down but his remarks have kept me from going back one last time. I still may reconsider and try to make it there before it closes for good.

Here's a link to the restaurant for anyone unfamiliar with it:
http://chatterboxdrivein.com/

If anyone has any pictures of the place or the car shows there, feel free to share.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:47 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

In defense of Don Hall, owner of the Chatterbox. I recently had the opportunity to speak with his daughter, who was waitressing tables to help out and a manager of his who worked there since she was a teen. Many might not know that prior to Don's possession, the place was known as Sonny's, which was an absolutely terrible place. Don really worked it over and made it a state destination. He's been in the food industry for decades and has owned the Chatterbox for about 20 years. The place is in need of a major investments in $ to keep it going. He's ready to leave the business and retire. He put it up for sale and the only offer he got was from WaWa. What would you do? I live a short distance from the Chatterbox so I am definitely upset. We don't need another gas station. Within five miles in any direction there are 3 QuickCheks aside from the one about to open. I eat there even when it is not a cruise night. The replacement location is looking like it will be a diner called Jumboland, about 4 miles north on Rt. 206. These are the latest facts as I know them.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
In defense of Don Hall, owner of the Chatterbox. I recently had the opportunity to speak with his daughter, who was waitressing tables to help out and a manager of his who worked there since she was a teen. Many might not know that prior to Don's possession, the place was known as Sonny's, which was an absolutely terrible place. Don really worked it over and made it a state destination. He's been in the food industry for decades and has owned the Chatterbox for about 20 years. The place is in need of a major investments in $ to keep it going. He's ready to leave the business and retire. He put it up for sale and the only offer he got was from WaWa. What would you do? I live a short distance from the Chatterbox so I am definitely upset. We don't need another gas station. Within five miles in any direction there are 3 QuickCheks aside from the one about to open. I eat there even when it is not a cruise night. The replacement location is looking like it will be a diner called Jumboland, about 4 miles north on Rt. 206. These are the latest facts as I know them.

I don't think anyone is mad at him for his decision, no need to stick up for him, he's getting ready to retire, it is what it is.

The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (08-26-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:35 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
I don't think anyone is mad at him for his decision, no need to stick up for him, he's getting ready to retire, it is what it is.
I'm not mad at him. He did what he had to do. Locally many people are disappointed that nobody made an offer to keep it the way it is. It is a destination location listed in Jersey tourism sites. People come from great distances to go there.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:37 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

"Elvis has left the building" sign outside the Chatterbox. Miss it already! near my home.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:58 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

"Elvis has left the building" sign outside the Chatterbox. Miss it already! near my home.
I probably won't be by that way for awhile, but I'm not looking forward to passing by and seeing it gone some day.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:38 AM
Rick B
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone been to Jumboland on a Saturday, I was wondering if it ever really took off ?

I was a frequent visitor to the Chatterbox, and really miss it, Saturday Classics, Corvette Fridays and Thursday Bike night.
It was great to be able to stop in for an hour or two, check out the cars/bikes, get something to eat , and be on my way.
I don't have the time or the desire to attend the "all day" car shows, where the main objective is "who's car is cleaner or detailed the best"
I do attend some of the bigger shows, Lead East, Deadman's curve, Sigfest, and Corvettes @ Carlisle, but looking for more of a cruise in, or Cars & coffee type events.
Any suggestions in North Jersey ?

Get notified of new replies

To ChatterBox restaurant "sold"

Quick Reply: ChatterBox restaurant "sold"