Northern California Northern California

Another Local tuner in Northern CA. bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Default Another Local tuner in Northern CA. bites the dust

Ravi and Speed Freaks of Tracy are no longer. From what I have heard he owed a few people some good money and closed up shop. I know a few of you worked with these guys and hope noone here is directly related. The good news is we still have New Tech and Synergy for all our tuning/modding needs.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Speed Trap
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
Ravi and Speed Freaks of Tracy are no longer. From what I have heard he owed a few people some good money and closed up shop. I know a few of you worked with these guys and hope noone here is directly related. The good news is we still have New Tech and Synergy for all our tuning/modding needs.
What happened to Advanced Dyno? You not using them any longer?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Z06Samuel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Nope not me. I had some issues there. Robert is a great guy and I will not bash AD but I am not happy with anything that was done to my Z06. The coupe got VIP treatment, but since Robert's health issues I PERSONALLY feel the service is ****. I am using a new tuner closer to home. Lets just say quite a few of you have also moved over to my new shop as well with great results.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope not me. I had some issues there. Robert is a great guy and I will not bash AD but I am not happy with anything that was done to my Z06. The coupe got VIP treatment, but since Robert's health issues I PERSONALLY feel the service is ****. I am using a new tuner closer to home. Lets just say quite a few of you have also moved over to my new shop as well with great results.

That's a mature move to refrain from bashing.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Morzoff
Safety Car

Teddy,
What new shop

Originally Posted by Just Enough
That's a mature move to refrain from bashing.

There has always been bashing of shops here, and its nice to see it finnally stopping

Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

There is no doubt in my mind that Robert has done a tremdous amount of progress for this platform locally and when at 110% the best customer service bar none. I tend to speak out of line and will not do so on this matter. I respect and appreciate Advanced Dyno but I was only a small fish in the pond. Some have asked if I would still attend a GTG and my answer was HELL YEAH if I can make it all the way out there. At this point I felt that the only way I was going to truly enjoy this new car was to get it in where I would see progress. I sat down and spoke with Nick in regards of what I was looking for, issues, and the future. He listened and had nothing but positive remarks regarding everything. The guy is very standup. He gave me an offer I had to take and the rest will be history. In any case I dont think we can go wrong with either Rick or Nick. Both are close and very good at what they do. I think Nicks biggest downfall to Rick is the fact he dont have the ladies. but hey I have just about moved from my prime so that chit doesnt matter anyhow.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Morzoff
Safety Car

There is no doubt in my mind that Robert has done a tremdous amount of progress for this platform locally and when at 110% the best customer service bar none. I tend to speak out of line and will not do so on this matter. I respect and appreciate Advanced Dyno but I was only a small fish in the pond. Some have asked if I would still attend a GTG and my answer was HELL YEAH if I can make it all the way out there. At this point I felt that the only way I was going to truly enjoy this new car was to get it in where I would see progress. I sat down and spoke with Nick in regards of what I was looking for, issues, and the future. He listened and had nothing but positive remarks regarding everything. The guy is very standup. He gave me an offer I had to take and the rest will be history. In any case I dont think we can go wrong with either Rick or Nick. Both are close and very good at what they do. I think Nicks biggest downfall to Rick is the fact he dont have the ladies. but hey I have just about moved from my prime so that chit doesnt matter anyhow.

Teddy,
I'm glad to hear your finnally getting your issues resolved

Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 02:24 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Yes Robert is having some health issues. Thanks Mike, I am sure it will be perfect. Hell who knows a set of Heads AND 150hp shot might be in the works.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM
1989vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope i don't step on any toes, and teddy this is not direct at you or anyone else on the forum. Just an observation i have, if any owner/operator of a shop goes on vacation or has any kind of medical work done it seems that people assume they are closing up shop. Here in Salinas, the largest machine shop owner had some bolts taken out of his ankle and rumors started swirling the day he had them out that he was retiring. As most of you know, owner/operator shops are the best shops to have any mods or service done at. This is because they provide that extra care, and the friendly and inviting environment. and when they take a vacation or have to take a day or so off for medical stuff, that extra mile is not there. As with the machine shop here, i'm sure AD is the same way, when the owner is gone its just employees and they don't care about the customers or the business the same way that the owner does. This creates the shortfall in customer service, and sometimes it gets ugly. But I hope all is well with robert, not sure if there is anything wrong with him i just wanted to chime in about the rumor mill.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
C5Spirit
Pro

Originally Posted by 1989vette
I hope i don't step on any toes, and teddy this is not direct at you or anyone else on the forum. Just an observation i have, if any owner/operator of a shop goes on vacation or has any kind of medical work done it seems that people assume they are closing up shop. Here in Salinas, the largest machine shop owner had some bolts taken out of his ankle and rumors started swirling the day he had them out that he was retiring. As most of you know, owner/operator shops are the best shops to have any mods or service done at. This is because they provide that extra care, and the friendly and inviting environment. and when they take a vacation or have to take a day or so off for medical stuff, that extra mile is not there. As with the machine shop here, i'm sure AD is the same way, when the owner is gone its just employees and they don't care about the customers or the business the same way that the owner does. This creates the shortfall in customer service, and sometimes it gets ugly. But I hope all is well with robert, not sure if there is anything wrong with him i just wanted to chime in about the rumor mill.
Robert is battling a very hard illness to over come with just a few visits to the doctor. Beyond that said i won't say anymore.
I know (after speaking to him) that it stresses him out when he goes down to the shop and sees how it is being managed.
Hopefully Robert's heath will return and soon AD will turn around and come out of this.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you keep dressing up like you did on holloween, you just might take in a whole new crowd.

R
Old 11-05-2008, 04:28 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

I spoke to Rick and his wife regarding the ladies. I proposed he have a "Mothers of Synergy" group for the "older" crowd. I also made it known that I would gladly interview and screen them for him.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Watch yourself Rick, I might show up at the shop like that. Yes all the rest is true. Unfortunately Robert is fighting a illness that could become life threatening. We have spoke on several occasions, and his health is more important to me then my tune. I would rather spend an afternoon bull****ting and drinking beer with the guy then to have him worry about my car. Robert is a friend to me, at this time AD can not fill my needs and I do not have an issue with that.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knkali
i spoke to rick and his wife regarding the ladies. I proposed he have a "mothers of synergy" group for the "older" crowd. I also made it known that i would gladly interview and screen them for him.:d

lol!!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM
C5Spirit
Pro

Watch yourself Rick, I might show up at the shop like that. Yes all the rest is true. Unfortunately Robert is fighting a illness that could become life threatening. We have spoke on several occasions, and his health is more important to me then my tune. I would rather spend an afternoon bull****ting and drinking beer with the guy then to have him worry about my car. Robert is a friend to me, at this time AD can not fill my needs and I do not have an issue with that.
...well said

Get notified of new replies

To Another Local tuner in Northern CA. bites the dust

Old 11-05-2008, 05:25 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I had never even heard of the shop Teddy mentioned going out of business.

I guess that I am fortunate that I am always able to get ahold of Robert and I talk to him a few times a week, maybe more. Too bad that some of you had/have issues there, but it is not the case for some of us regulars. I hope that his health takes a U-turn soon so that he can start getting better and actually be able to function day to day, let alone try and run a business.

We are lucky to have many good shops in the area, so getting your work done won't be an issue I guess.

I have used Rick before and have nothing bad to say about Synergy. The drive from Woodland was the only issue due to bay area traffic. He tuned my C5Z after I did the first H/C package and it ran great. I have often recommended his shop to others in that area and have no reservations about him touching my car. I have talked to Rick many times and support his efforts in the Bay Area. Robert is local so that has naturally been my choice lately.

I have met Nick out at the drag races before, and although he never did any work on my car, he seemed like a stand up guy. I would also go there if it were not for the drive. It seems like a few people are heading his way lately and it is great he is taking care of people.

Force Fed is the only shop that I would not take a lawn mower into. Kieth has always been known for being an idiot who does shoddy work, cuts corners and is a stoner. Sorry but I would never let Cheech and Chong tune my car, so why let the stoner that got caught growing pot in a vacant house, stealing electricity, work on your car?

RICH
Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Wicked_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Force Fed is the only shop that I would not take a lawn mower into. Kieth has always been known for being an idiot who does shoddy work, cuts corners and is a stoner. Sorry but I would never let Cheech and Chong tune my car, so why let the stoner that got caught growing pot in a vacant house, stealing electricity, work on your car?

RICH

Please, feel free to back up your statements and we can talk. I've never seen a higher quality of work performed on any vehicle. How has he always been known to be an idiot and shoddy work? If this is the case, then he would have gone out of business years ago. He's one of the oldest, most experienced, well seated shops... period. Theres a reason I need to call a week ahead of time each time I go in to make a repair, change my oil, swap my exhaust... ect. Its because his shop is packed.. and about 70% of it is returning customers...

But a specific example of him cutting a corner... I would like to see.

And as for the whole pot thing. I guess guilty until proven innocent.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wicked_Z06
Please, feel free to back up your statements and we can talk. I've never seen a higher quality of work performed on any vehicle. How has he always been known to be an idiot and shoddy work? If this is the case, then he would have gone out of business years ago. He's one of the oldest, most experienced, well seated shops... period. Theres a reason I need to call a week ahead of time each time I go in to make a repair, change my oil, swap my exhaust... ect. Its because his shop is packed.. and about 70% of it is returning customers...

But a specific example of him cutting a corner... I would like to see.

And as for the whole pot thing. I guess guilty until proven innocent.
didnt he go out of business at one point? i might be confusing him for another shop

Quick Reply: Another Local tuner in Northern CA. bites the dust